Live from the Whisper( but it's really windy) Greenwich to New York

spinnaker2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Jolly, welcome back from the icebox!

Spins, nice pix again. Some day we must make it to Halifax. Please get well soon! 

JP, 

We have an apothecary we bring along.

It didnt help.

I wanted to go home several days ago when we reached land. I have never felt that way before. 

I don't mean to complain!

I have learned from other pax that whatever this is illness is, has been on the ship since shortly after Lisbon.  Quite a potent pox on my house.

The weather gods are still toying with us - as a new low pressure in the Atlantic south of us may develop tropical characteristics, we’re cutting short our Boston stop, leaving earlier tomorrow, and running for New York to arrive 3pm Thursday instead of Friday morning. Nothing wrong with an overnight in NYC, but it’s typical of this cruise. 

And, which didn’t happen last year on the same itinerary, we’re told that no alcohol can be served from 3pm today till the ship is totally cleared by CBP in Boston. We’re due in at 5pm so that’s going to be a dry three hours approximately, doesn’t bother me but some may find it, shall we say, inconvenient. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

And, which didn’t happen last year on the same itinerary, we’re told that no alcohol can be served from 3pm today till the ship is totally cleared by CBP in Boston. We’re due in at 5pm so that’s going to be a dry three hours approximately, doesn’t bother me but some may find it, shall we say, inconvenient. 

That's downright scary! 

Time to squirrel a few bottles away in your room fridge for emergency use, in case the CBP inspection takes too long...

Hope you outrun the storm, and enjoy your time in New York. 

• Like 2

We couldn't hear any of the annoucements in our suite.

Off to the pool deck to learn of the change, AGAIN, in plans.

I tried to find the weather forecast online but couldn't.

This has been a bad weather plagued cruise since the outset. UGH.

The pilot came aboard about 15 minutes ago.

Just saw a Viking ship leaving. Why are they leaving if the weather is going to deteriorate?

It’s on the Hurricane Center website, which I watch carefully because of living in a hurricane zone.  And needing to fly from NYC to BDA with a storm around - I hope it’ll be gone by before Sunday, when I’m flying. I hope. 

nhc.noaa.gov

The Viking Sun is actually on her way to NYC, she’ll be there before us. When she, or the Whisper, leaves NYC will depend on the weather I presume. 

Edited by jollyjones

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Just saw a Viking ship leaving. Why are they leaving if the weather is going to deteriorate?

Perhaps they need to run through some rough seas to test the new safety levels for the lubricating oil tanks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We couldn't hear any of the annoucements in our suite.

This was also true on our recent Alaska cruise on the Muse.  We'd run over and open our door to the hallway to hear them (like any good newbies!).  Is there some switch or something to get announcements in cabin?

We have been following your cruise with interest, really appreciate the beautiful photos, and I hope you both are feeling better.

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Is there some switch or something to get announcements in cabin?

I think it is a hallmark of most luxury lines (like Silversea) not to blast announcements (special sale on gold chain for one hour in the boutique 🙂) into suites unless those announcements are of urgent importance.  People may be napping, etc.  The announcements *are* available on the TV on one of the channels that shows maps or views from the bridge and generally has music when no announcements are being made.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Observer said:

I think it is a hallmark of most luxury lines (like Silversea) not to blast announcements (special sale on gold chain for one hour in the boutique 🙂) into suites unless those announcements are of urgent importance.  People may be napping, etc.  The announcements *are* available on the TV on one of the channels that shows maps or views from the bridge and generally has music when no announcements are being made.

I am aware of the Silversea policy on announcements but the announcement system has had issues on this vessel and they  have been working on it throughout the voyage.

14 hours ago, jollyjones said:

It’s on the Hurricane Center website, which I watch carefully because of living in a hurricane zone.  And needing to fly from NYC to BDA with a storm around - I hope it’ll be gone by before Sunday, when I’m flying. I hope. 

nhc.noaa.gov

The Viking Sun is actually on her way to NYC, she’ll be there before us. When she, or the Whisper, leaves NYC will depend on the weather I presume. 

Just read through the NOAA website on the three disturbances in the Atlantic. 

I am no weatherperson but I don't get the dire threat.

I see that the one closest to the NYC area has a 10 per cent chance of formation in the next few days. Its not really near NYC.

If I could cut and paste the weather from NOAA and add it to this thread,  I would.

I can't help but think, we are near the end of our beleaguered cruise and are we rushing to NYC to allow the future pax to get aboard? 

And now its 7 am and the pile driver machines across the way have started their work. 

At the beginning of this cruise, there was frequent and everlasting (it seemed) testing of the announcement system - we heard 'testing, one two three' in many languages.

Throughout this cruise, sometimes unimportant announcements come on the in-cabin system (altho' I tend to blame the CD for that) and sometimes important ones come on the out-of-cabin system. Sometimes announcements can be heard on the ship's webcam TV channel, sometimes extremely loud music is all that's available, even when an announcement is happening.

It's definitely not as it usually is.

I was relieved to find that today's market visit with Chef David is still happening, albeit a little earlier - I wondered if there'd be time before our early departure. His marketing is always such good value.

Here's an article showing why we're leaving early - don't blame the Captain for wanting to get into a sheltered dock before the onshore winds bring a big swell - we have had more than enough rough seas on this cruise! 

https://www.wunderground.com/news/storms/hurricane/news/2019-10-06-atlantic-east-coast-low-area-to-watch

Edited by jollyjones

Jolly,

I read the article which leaves me with the same questions. I understand that no company wants to have an issue with sailing directly into a storm or ignoring warnings. I hold no expertise as a master of a ship. 

I am very weary of the weather diversions.

And yes looking forward to the market visit with Chef David.