Live from the Whisper( but it's really windy) Greenwich to New York

spinnaker2

We are aboard. Apologies for the tardy start!

As of this date the WIND has been in charge of our cruise.

Instead of leaving from Greenwich, we left from Tilbury. The WIND was blowing so hard that the Whisper couldn't make it up the Thames to Greenwich. I have been told that two tugs tried to control the Whisper, but it was impossible.

Once aboard in Tilbury, we lunched in La Terrazza and saw many familiar faces, of both crew and pax. 

We did have a meet and mingle on the first sea day, which was well attended.

Trivia is being held in the Bar.  Seventeen teams are in the very fierce competition.

There are about 300 plus guests aboard, well over 200 venetians and 100 + first time cruisers.

Chef David is aboard and we are being treated to cooking demonstrations! Yummy!

Yesterday we spent the day in Falmouth. The weather cooperated for our sail in to the port. 

DH and I went to the Poldark excursion, a van of pax and a delightful guide. The vehicle size allowed us to venture out on small lanes and roads where we enjoyed seeing charming cottages and lush countryside, along with commentary about Poldark of course.

I will try and post some photos later. 

As we departed for our tour, we were informed that our sail out would be earlier due to some expected foul weather.

Once we returned to the Whisper, the Captain told us that our next port, Cobh, would be cancelled due to the forecast of bad weather, high seas and more wind. 

As we sailed out yesterday we saw sailboats racing into the harbor in advance of the approaching foul weather. Our course will now be a more northerly one to avoid the effects of the mid Atlantic hurricane.

As promised, we encountered some rough seas and wind.  Last night was bouncy to say the least!  

We awoke to a crisp and clear sunny day with much less rock and roll of the sea. 

Another sea day!

• Like 4

Great to hear from you, spins. We enjoyed sailing with Chef David 2 years ago on Silver Explorer, along the coast of Peru and Chile. He really does put on some great cooking demos! Enjoy it all.

Hope the weather only gets better from here on out! Looking forward to pictures, if the internet cooperates.

35 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

newfoundland... a whole lotta sea days

Super glad that Spins/Candy is posting and taking us along for her trans-Atlantic sailing.  Keep up the great sharing!!  How's the Internet working on the ship?  Happy to help in posting any visuals if that is needed.  Good luck with the weather.  What will you be dong on most of the sea days?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe on the Silver Cloud. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,544 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The quesadilla at lunch today in the MDR was terrific.

Buffet lunch in La Terrazza was an abundance of cold seafood ( yes we checked it out before heading to the MDR). 

Crew party tonight in La Terrazza and well deserved I might add.

The sea has calmed down but it is chilly.  Fortunately its casual night!

Trivia well attended again. 

It has lost some of its luster for me.

• Like 1

It's a shame we missed Cobh, but the Captain is very bothered about the impact of Lorenzo on the North Atlantic - I don't blame him because, although we should be well across before the storm makes it as a post tropical cyclone to menace the Ireland and UK, we would be extremely vulnerable any change in it's forward speed and direction with nowhere to run and hide. Having just been hit by one hurricane, I'm not in any rush for another.

We're on a great circle route from Cornwall to Newfoundland so I'm not sure we're going any further north than we would have without the storm, but it's nippy outside - 57 degrees, with a 40 knot headwind. Not a good deck walking day, maybe I won't wear my shorts today.

It's the first of the 25 hour days today - one of the reasons I love east to west transatlantics. But I doubt it'll help with trivia which, as Candy says, is not proving to be what we normally enjoy.

Lecturers are Laurel Corona, always good value, has so far lectured on Falmouth, the history of tea, and today it's cod, history and economics of.

Other lecturer is David Horner who, now he's stopped doing war stuff, I might attend - today is early navigation across the Atlantic and how they did it.

Venetian night tonight, on an informal dress code night, a bit unusual. Somehow that's in keeping with this cruise, it all feels a bit unusual in an indefinable way, I really haven't settled in to it yet.

• Like 1

I seem to be having some symptoms of a head cold or allergies. Not sure which but its putting a damper on my spirits. 

There are a lot of pax who are sneezing and coughing and have been since we boarded. Perhaps its the kennel cough, or ?

Lunch in the Bar was Italian Tavola, a buffet presented by Chef Gio and entertainment by the Voices. Enjoyable!

And tonight is the Venetian Party, and the attire protocol has been switched to Formal. Hope that everyone has read the Chronicles because the attire for this evening was previously published as Informal. Due to my malaise we have had to decline the invitation to dine with an officer.

Speaking of the Chronicles, there are three questions at Trivia taken from the Chronicles, and they have included the dress code.  

I do agree with Barbara, there is a sense of "disconnect or disquiet" on this voyage. I am sure we will have the specifics by the time we reach New York.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

These were in the river on the way to Tilbury. Does anybody know what they are for?

6213E21A-46C9-483A-8FC5-006B45F15A14.jpeg

Built during WW2 to defend River Thames known as Maunsell towers they were decommissioned in the 50s and one was taken over as an offshore pirate radio station. Later used by a local character who declared it to be the Peoples Republic of Sealand and tried to claim it as the smallest country in the world. He has since deceased but I think his son has taken on the mantel but dont hear so much about it these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I seem to be having some symptoms of a head cold or allergies. Not sure which but its putting a damper on my spirits.  Lunch in the Bar was Italian Tavola, a buffet presented by Chef Gio and entertainment by the Voices. Enjoyable!

I do agree with Barbara, there is a sense of "disconnect or disquiet" on this voyage. I am sure we will have the specifics by the time we reach New York.

That type of Italian bar lunch sounds interesting and nicely different.  Never had that offered on one of our previous Silversea cruises.  Look forward to learning more later about the "sense of 'disconnect or disquiet' " on your voyage.  

Good luck with your head cold/allergies!!  Need any helping in being able to post any visuals on this thread?  How is the Internet working on the ship?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 225,008 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

3 hours ago, zqtchas said:

People have been a little wobbly & bouncing off walls.  

Charles, 

Your last sentence had Amy and I laughing out loud.  She hopes you can put together a video montage of said people bouncing along the hallways during today’s 12 footers.

Give our best to sweet bride, Elaine.

55 minutes ago, dusababy said:

Me too Erwin but I guess we'll be the sole passengers since no one else has signed up for the Meet & Mingle.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Mary Ann

You will see lots of familiar faces among the ever wonderful crew. 

The ship is just lovely.