Edge - Sea Sick - Cabin 6286 IB stateroom

julieblue

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, AdGuyMG said:

Other places on the ship that should be avoided and off limits to a seasick prone person while at sea are the following which are NOT in the middle of the ship:

Forward: The Fitness Center, The Spa and Main Theater

Aft: All Main Dining Rooms, The Oceanview Cafe Buffet, Eden, The Rooftop Garden and the Sunset Bar.

Even though it is midship, I would also advise not stepping onto the Magic Carpet for food or beverages while at sea.

Any of the places above would be just fine when the ship is docked.

If that's your mentally, may as well just not cruise. Of course you are going to be going all around the ship whether it's at sear or docked.. No MDR, main theater, or buffet?? Guess on sea days you just don't eat? I am very prone to sea sickness and agree with the advise to take a preventative medicine and then not sweat the location of cabins or where you go on the ship.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:32 AM, raudacruise said:

I can get sick watching television but I love cruising. I start Bonine the morning of my cruise and wear my electronic Relief Band whenever the ship is moving. Corner aft is my go-to cabin on Solstice Class ships. 

On small ships (smaller than Millenium Class) you might feel a "fishtail" motion aft in rough weather.  Happened to me on a small Princess ship. Was not pleasant.

I've only encountered "bouncing" in the fancy suite on the small ship Grandeur of the Seas. The cabin was close to the bow and had major "up and down" motion during our one evening of rough seas. (That was pre Relief Band for me.)  Stayed in bed while everyone else was looking at Gibraltar. 

I'm another proponent of RELIEF BAND - my husband has been wearing it the last few cruises and loves it - did not feel sick at all.  We were in a corner aft cabin on the edge and he loved it.  He tried meclizine and didn't like how it made him feel.  The patch works but he prefers the RELIEF BAND.  

You and your daughter will love the EDGE - it is an amazing ship!

Happy Sailing!

The Relief Band is a great non-medical solution for anyone who is prone to seasickness and does not want to be drugged.

It is more effective than the sea bands, which work for many, but it is also more expensive.

I am one of the numerous  people who have tried the patch and had very bad reactions to it.

Many passengers do just fine taking meclizine,   provided free of charge at Guest Relations and at the ship's medical center.

Others get by with green apples, soda crackers and ginger ale.

Then there is the stuff that you dab behind your ear.  I have never tried it, but saw that they were selling it in the gift shop on board.

Edited by fleckle

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, bEwAbG said:

I've never understood how the way your head is oriented would make a difference but some people are convinced it does.  Should you find yourself in a room in which the bed is in the "wrong" position, beds give you the option of re-orienting yourself without changing rooms.

I am convinced because I am 71 years old and have had this problem ever since I can remember. It's not just on a ship. It's the same on the Amtrak from Washington, DC to NYC or RailEurope from Venice to Munich or in a SUV with a rear facing seat.  I have to face forward in the direction I am going. Since I know the problem and , my TA who we have used sine 1999, has no problem solving this issue for me, why would I re-orient my self in a bed I share with my husband????????????

If you suffer from motion sickness, you will need to take something to allay those symptoms. Talk to your daughters doctor about possible remedies.

You won't be in your cabin, except to sleep, so it's location isn't a huge factor, really.

If it's rough, you'll feel it everywhere.  If it's calm, all is well!

I am very prone to seasickness (yes, but I still cruise 🤯). I use the scopolamine patch, even so, I am frequently queasy and, on rare occasions, have been very seasick on cruises. We have sailed in an aft cabin on Deck 11 on an M class ship. Seas weren’t too bad and I wasn’t any worse than usual. A lot depends on how well your daughter handles feeling a little unwell from time to time.  I’ve enjoyed cruising very much despite this. I hope she does too!  

• 7 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, julieblue said:

My daughter is prone to sea sickness and we plan to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean on Celebrity Edge in June.  Our room is a Veranda Stateroom, 6286, on the 6th deck, very  rear of the ship.  I have read the rear of the ship is not ideal for sea sickness, can anyone advise having experienced this ship or a room like this before?  Any advice is greatly appreciated for this and anything else related to this room.

Thank you!

OP, did you sail in this room yet? I just booked it and I’m curious if there is noise from Eden. Any information about the room and location would be appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Cpatti8 said:

OP, did you sail in this room yet? I just booked it and I’m curious if there is noise from Eden. Any information about the room and location would be appreciated! 

The OP joined CC on September 29 of last year and on the same day started both this thread and an identical one on another board. After that, total silence, so don't be surprised if you get no reply.

I have never been sick taking Bonine (available in the U.S).   The one time I used the patch I was very sick and I believe it was the patch.   I was dizzy, dry mouth and upset stomach.   Once I removed the patch I recovered.    I believe it was taken off the market shortly after I used it but it is available now.   The side effects of the patch are terrible.

I’ve never had a problem with sea sickness until my first cruise in an aft cabin. Some unexpected rough nights in the Caribbean made me feel a bit queasy so I had to sleep sideways (and force my OH too) on the bed for a couple of nights. Needless to say we’ve booked a mid ship room for our Honeymoon cruise (which we’re doubtful will go ahead anyway!!)

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I have never been sick taking Bonine (available in the U.S).   The one time I used the patch I was very sick and I believe it was the patch.   I was dizzy, dry mouth and upset stomach.   Once I removed the patch I recovered.    I believe it was taken off the market shortly after I used it but it is available now.   The side effects of the patch are terrible.

Glad for you but honestly, that means nothing (referring to the first comment) as to how someone else will be.  I get seasick easily and in the early days of my Celebrity cruises on ships like Horizon or Galaxy I would definitely get sick to some extent on rough seas even with Bonine.   On the larger ships I generally don't, but if the seas are really rough (over 20') Bonine is not always good enough to make me feel fine.  The patch never worked for me, but relatives of mine used it and it worked great for them.

5 hours ago, Cpatti8 said:

The OP said she was sailing in June. NOBODY will be sailing in June.