Edge - Sea Sick - Cabin 6286 IB stateroom

julieblue

My daughter is prone to sea sickness and we plan to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean on Celebrity Edge in June.  Our room is a Veranda Stateroom, 6286, on the 6th deck, very  rear of the ship.  I have read the rear of the ship is not ideal for sea sickness, can anyone advise having experienced this ship or a room like this before?  Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

We have not stayed in that cabin but have sailed in aft cabins frequently.  In our experience forward areas of the ship feel the most movement.  Aft also feels movement.   Midship experiences the least movement.  Deck 6 will experience less movement than say deck 10 or 11 but there  is no predicting sea conditions or weather.  If possible I would move from the aft to a more mid-ship location

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Edge you have to make the choice between having a traditional balcony and being center and low.  All the traditional balconies are either very far forward or very far aft.  Of the two, aft is preferable -- forward is likely to feel more motion if there is any.  That being said, the stabilizers do a very good job and unless you encounter a huge storm, you aren't likely to feel much motion in the aft staterooms.

She might. She might not. We can't predict what might happen, as we don't know your daughter's sensitivity to motion. Plus, while the Med is generally calm, that is not an absolute...seas can be rough any time.

If she has motion issues, she must be prepared every day she is on a ship, no matter what cabin she is in.

I get motion sickness pretty easily, too, and start taking meclizine a day before getting on the ship.  I find the aft to be pretty bouncy, even in calm seas, but haven't experienced enough motion there to make me sick.  The middle is where to go if you want more stability, though.  I've done midship cabins, too, and you can definitely tell the difference, if you're attuned to movement.  

I can get sick watching television but I love cruising. I start Bonine the morning of my cruise and wear my electronic Relief Band whenever the ship is moving. Corner aft is my go-to cabin on Solstice Class ships. 

On small ships (smaller than Millenium Class) you might feel a "fishtail" motion aft in rough weather.  Happened to me on a small Princess ship. Was not pleasant.

I've only encountered "bouncing" in the fancy suite on the small ship Grandeur of the Seas. The cabin was close to the bow and had major "up and down" motion during our one evening of rough seas. (That was pre Relief Band for me.)  Stayed in bed while everyone else was looking at Gibraltar. 

Edited by raudacruise

As CruiserBruce indicates, this is impossible to answer.  But in general, a lower mid-ship stateroom location will be the best for minimizing motion effects - regardless of ship.  (There is nothing unique to Edge that sets it apart from any other cruise ship built in the last 25 years regarding stateroom location and ship stability).  The aft location you indicate is also not particularity bad in terms of motion, as EM indicates, and the lower deck location is good there v a higher deck. 

Given your concerns, I would suggest talking with a pharmacist or your doctor to get recommendations on preventative motion sickness remedies prior to your cruise as any ship is prone to motion at sea, and it will be felt to some degree at any location on the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

In heavy seas, a cruise ship can have the same motion as a see-saw. Both ends will feel more motion than the middle. So choose a cabin near the middle of the ship and close to the waterline. You'll have less chance of being seasick.

She will feel ill if forward or at the back, even low down. We are onboard Equinox just now and had a meal at Tuscan  grill one evening. Pretty calm seas the whole cruise but way more movement back there and it’s low down. Honestly it’s not worth the risk, sea sickness is miserable for anyone so book midships.

• Like 1

Mid-ship and as close to the water line as you can get will be the best.  I get motion sick pretty easily as well, but honestly I've found being forward to be FAR worse than aft.  We've had both forward and aft cabins, and being over the propulsion system in rough seas is always better for me than being toward the bow.  I've also found that I rarely get motion sick on a large cruiseship like I do on smaller boats and airplanes as there is definitely much less motion on a big boat. 

I'd really advise that your daughter simply plan on taking meclizine (non-drowsy Bonine) during the cruise.  If she takes one pill before she goes to bed at night, it'll last for 24 hours and she won't have to worry about becoming sea sick at all.  She can also do the sea bands (regular or electronic), which may give her some peace of mind so she won't worry about getting sick and talk herself into feeling ill.

• Like 1

This question is always asked here.  But.....I think passengers may get sea sick if prone to motion no matter where on the ship they have a cabin if the ship is in rougher seas.  Passengers do not stay in their cabins exclusively.  So I agree with the advice to take precautions and take along motion sickness drugs as others have suggested.  Maybe certain cabins are worse than others sure.  But there are good ways to prevent motion sickness regardless of cabin location.

We are in our first aft cabin on our November cruise. I usually use a Transderm Scop patch. The one you put behind your ear. It is prescribed by your doctor. This has worked well for me. Although the last couple cruises I haven't needed it. But I believe you need the put it on the morning of your cruise. If you have oily skin use a small piece of surgical tape to help it stay in place.

13 hours ago, julieblue said:

My daughter is prone to sea sickness and we plan to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean on Celebrity Edge in June.  Our room is a Veranda Stateroom, 6286, on the 6th deck, very  rear of the ship.  I have read the rear of the ship is not ideal for sea sickness, can anyone advise having experienced this ship or a room like this before?  Any advice is greatly appreciated for this and anything else related to this room.

Thank you!

My 2 cents...a) If you can get a midship cabin on the same floor, do so. We loved the infinity room. Others don't!

b) if you are in the US, buy Bonine and have your daughter take one every night at bedtime, starting the night before the cruise. It is amazing.

Have a wonderful trip!

To add to what leaveitallbehind and CruiserBruce have offered, the veranda cabin will be helpful as well.  It is generally thought that most motion sickness is caused by a conflict between the eyes and the inner ear.  If the eyes see no motion and the inner ear is telling your brain that you are moving, you are more likely to feel the effects of the motion if you are prone to motion sickness.  Fresh air and being able to see the horizon are the best aids.  To keep this short, it is also best to eat normal meals.  I would not want to eat anything greasy, but having food in your stomach, as counter-intuitive as that may sound, is better. 

There are many OTC offerings such a Dramamine, Bonine, etc.  Ginger in the form of pills, cookies or ginger ale also help.

Talk you your physician or pharmacist for some detailed advice as to what might be best.  If your daughter is known to get motion sick, it would be likely that this happens in cars, and other things that she uses regularly, so try some of the remedies on land to see what works best.

Best of luck.

16 hours ago, julieblue said:

My daughter is prone to sea sickness and we plan to cruise the Eastern Mediterranean on Celebrity Edge in June.  Our room is a Veranda Stateroom, 6286, on the 6th deck, very  rear of the ship.  I have read the rear of the ship is not ideal for sea sickness, can anyone advise having experienced this ship or a room like this before?  Any advice is greatly appreciated for this and anything else related to this room.

Thank you!

I am also prone to sea sickness. I agree mid-ship lower deck ensure a "much smoother ride" in rough seas. Another issue that affects me and might or might not affect your daughter is the direction my body is moving while sleeping.  For me, when lying in bed, my head/body has to face forward with the forward motion of the ship. I learned this lesson about 5 years ago, when we had a room where my body was moving "backwards" and I felt nauseous as soon as my head hit the pillow. Since we've mostly sailed S-class, I have been able to figure this out booking as the result of the detail of the spread sheet and booking port side balcony rooms with the bed by the balcony.  For our last Summit cruise, our TA pulled 2 rooms, then contacted Celebrity who contacted the ship to verify which room had the bed moving in the same forward direction of the ship. If you think this could be an issue with your daughter and the Edge class spread sheet doesn't help, this might also be an option for you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, julieblue said:

I have read the rear of the ship is not ideal for sea sickness, can anyone advise having experienced this ship or a room like this before?  Any advice is greatly appreciated for this and anything else related to this room.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

The middle is where to go if you want more stability, though.  I've done midship cabins, too, and you can definitely tell the difference, if you're attuned to movement.  

10 hours ago, tgg said:

So choose a cabin near the middle of the ship and close to the waterline. You'll have less chance of being seasick.

Other places on the ship that should be avoided and off limits to a seasick prone person while at sea are the following which are NOT in the middle of the ship:

Forward: The Fitness Center, The Spa and Main Theater

Aft: All Main Dining Rooms, The Oceanview Cafe Buffet, Eden, The Rooftop Garden and the Sunset Bar.

Even though it is midship, I would also advise not stepping onto the Magic Carpet for food or beverages while at sea.

Any of the places above would be just fine when the ship is docked.

5 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I am also prone to sea sickness. I agree mid-ship lower deck ensure a "much smoother ride" in rough seas. Another issue that affects me and might or might not affect your daughter is the direction my body is moving while sleeping.  For me, when lying in bed, my head/body has to face forward with the forward motion of the ship. I learned this lesson about 5 years ago, when we had a room where my body was moving "backwards" and I felt nauseous as soon as my head hit the pillow. Since we've mostly sailed S-class, I have been able to figure this out booking as the result of the detail of the spread sheet and booking port side balcony rooms with the bed by the balcony.  For our last Summit cruise, our TA pulled 2 rooms, then contacted Celebrity who contacted the ship to verify which room had the bed moving in the same forward direction of the ship. If you think this could be an issue with your daughter and the Edge class spread sheet doesn't help, this might also be an option for you.

Honestly we have had both and i’ve noticed no difference.

18 hours ago, yorky said:

Honestly we have had both and i’ve noticed no difference.

If you suffer from motion sickness they way I do, you would. Trust me I have learned al lot about ships on various cruise lines to become an expert on what I need to book. Last year, we changed cabins after booking on the Oceania Marina for the same reason and I had no problem sailing the North Atlantic.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

If you suffer from motion sickness they way I do, you would. Trust me I have learned al lot about ships on various cruise lines to become an expert on what I need to book. Last year, we changed cabins after booking on the Oceania Marina for the same reason and I had no problem sailing the North Atlantic.  

I do, maybe it’s just different for each individual, the big differences for me are our position in the ship.

I've never understood how the way your head is oriented would make a difference but some people are convinced it does.  Should you find yourself in a room in which the bed is in the "wrong" position, beds give you the option of re-orienting yourself without changing rooms.