WiFi Question

rhinomike

How do the WiFi plans on HAL work?  I couldn’t find info on their website. With our package they include free premium WiFi...is that their best package or can I pay to upgrade to a faster package?  Thank you n

Based on bandwidth comparisons between the Surf plan and the Premium plan,  there is no difference in download bandwidth, so there is no throttling going on.   The Premium plan allows streaming video sites such as You Tube, Netflix, Hulu, and  any VOIP services like Skype.   Those URL's and the ports they use are blocked on the Surf plan.   Just to test my theory, I had the Surf plan and accessed a website that includes links to some You Tube videos.   They were blocked.  But I then connected to my VPN, and I could access You Tube and Skype with no problems.   The differences in the 3 plans, Social Media, Surf, and Premium are controlled by URL and port blocking, not bandwidth.   Because I could get around the URL and port blocking by using a simple VPN, indicates that the control is not done from the ship, but at Carnival Corp in Miami.   If you do a "IPLocation.net" search while connected on the ship, you will see that your IP address is owned by Carnival Corp, Miami.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The package is probably per stateroom, so only 1 of you can use it at a time.  Easy enough to log out and other party log on.

Our package for 2021 is Premium Internet for Guests 1 & 2. 🤗

Cheers, Denise 

12 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Based on bandwidth comparisons between the Surf plan and the Premium plan,  there is no difference in download bandwidth, so there is no throttling going on.   The Premium plan allows streaming video sites such as You Tube, Netflix, Hulu, and  any VOIP services like Skype.   Those URL's and the ports they use are blocked on the Surf plan.   Just to test my theory, I had the Surf plan and accessed a website that includes links to some You Tube videos.   They were blocked.  But I then connected to my VPN, and I could access You Tube and Skype with no problems.   The differences in the 3 plans, Social Media, Surf, and Premium are controlled by URL and port blocking, not bandwidth.   Because I could get around the URL and port blocking by using a simple VPN, indicates that the control is not done from the ship, but at Carnival Corp in Miami.   If you do a "IPLocation.net" search while connected on the ship, you will see that your IP address is owned by Carnival Corp, Miami.

Will Facebook Messenger work for both messages and video calls on the Surf plan? Or just premium. I’m guessing the latter. 

Edited by Dismomx5

2 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Will Facebook Messenger work for both messages and video calls on the Surf plan? Or just premium. I’m guessing the latter. 

FB messenger works on the Surf plan - at least, it has for me.

Haven’t used video calls but I believe it needs to be the Premium plan.

11 hours ago, dchip said:

Our package for 2021 is Premium Internet for Guests 1 & 2. 🤗

Cheers, Denise 

PLEASE DISREGARD, misread, you said 2021, thought it was our upcoming cruise together..Denise, our receipt(email on HAL letterhead) says the same thing BUT I wonder if when we get on board they will say otherwise.  We purchased a travel router, just in case.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

22 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The package is probably per stateroom, so only 1 of you can use it at a time.  Easy enough to log out and other party log on.

I called and clarified and they said every cabin guest gets premium WiFi.  😃. But I am going to look into it a little more to be sure. We also got a $600 onboard credit but that is per cabin. 

Edited by rhinomike