Waterfront Balcony BX Cabins Joy? (or Bliss)

marktwothousand

I'm thinking of paying to go from an inside to a BX Deck 8 on Joy. Can someone help me understand this? I thought Deck 8 was waterfront on Joy (and Bliss). How is it possible there's a balcony there, I remember being able to walk around the entire ship on the waterfront. What is the obstruction like on deck 8 balconies and how are they placed? I can't figure out how you have a balcony and a cabin both on Waterfront deck 8.

Silver-level cruiser here, been on Bliss twice (which is supposed to be just like Joy) but never really paid attention to that layout because I didn't have balcony nor did I use the waterfront much...Really lost on this one,  please help.

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

How is it possible there's a balcony there, I remember being able to walk around the entire ship on the waterfront.

You cannot do a full lap around the Waterfront. The front of the ship past the restaurant/DBH is blocked. The balcony and mini-suite staterooms are forward of the restaurant/DBH.

Ohhhh I see. So you can’t hop the railing on these balcony cabins and onto the waterfront? They’re not patios connected to the waterfront...but they’re actually separated?

for some reason I recall walking around the waterfront but I think I’m thinking of the back of the ship with the glass floor

i guess BX could mean anywhere on the ship tho. How bad does BX get on bliss/joy? BX Epic was really poor...a totally open-top balcony with lifeboat obstruction. Pretty much the worst

Yes they're separated - only thing you can hop the railing to on them is the sea 8 decks down. Otherwise you would have seen them when you walked around the entire ship on the waterfront on bliss. You get to them via an interior door before you get to DBH and whatever is on the other side and have to walk all the way up to them. 

I believe I've seen people post that Bliss doesn't have obstructed balconies, so Joy is probably the same. So the bad would come down to location. 

7 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Anyone know if the M6s are totally uncovered or partially sheltered near the doors? Would hate to have an uncovered balcony again. Cigarette butts, no shade and the like 

M6's have the covering from the large deck 9 balconies above, but most of the space is uncovered. There could be some cigs thrown depending on the trashiness level of the surrounding pax.

Usually BX is the sailaway category and you're assigned a different category before sailing, but on the 'Away class ships there are FOUR BX cabins with actual room numbers, and they're all forward on Deck 8. They're basically identical to the M6 minisuites with large balconies...they just have the standard balcony bathrooms.

These are a mixed bag. They are very far forward, and you do feel the motion of the ship, and you do sometimes hear noise from the theater, and you VERY much hear noise from the nearby ANCHOR. And yes you'll have people staring down at you unless you huddle towards the back of the balcony. 

They're also big, close to the water, and much less expensive than the M6's. However all perks are excluded, so you're not getting any double latitudes points, no OBC, no nothing.

These balconies tend to go fast. I'd take it over an inside in a New York minute. Take the upgrade. 

41 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

ncljoy_la1_edited.jpg

You're looking at the balconies forward of DBH (black glass) and before the M6s (large/deep balconies).

This is incorrect. Those are not BX balconies.

The four actual assigned BX balconies are the 2 further forward AFTER the M6's. 

It was $400 Canadian to upgrade and it’s been done. We’ll see what happens and let you know how the GTY lottery plays out this time. Thinking it won’t be great because the ship seems to be pretty unsold right now but still, any balcony is still better than deck 5 inside and can’t complain on the overall price for a 12 day at $1900 Canadian ($1500 US or so)

Just now, marktwothousand said:

It was $400 Canadian to upgrade and it’s been done. We’ll see what happens and let you know how the GTY lottery plays out this time. Thinking it won’t be great because the ship seems to be pretty unsold right now but still, any balcony is still better than deck 5 inside and can’t complain on the overall price for a 12 day at $1900 Canadian ($1500 US or so)

That's awesome! Did they let you upgrade to a BX? Did you keep your perks (if you had them)?

It was a straight, paid upgrade from one booking to a new booking, SailAway rate through Costco. Original cost for the inside was $1500 Canadian. No penalty fees for the change. 

We are actually two solos in two cabins and I still have a deck 5 inside but at least between the two of us we have a balcony 

2016_Joy_Deck_08.png

This is what I'm seeing for Joy (until Sept. 2020) balconies/mini-suites on deck 8.

The 4 all the way forward (yellow) are B6s.

Next are the M6s (orange).

Next are the MXs (teal).

Next are the BCs (lavender) and B8s connecting (pink) with the BXs connecting (blue) thrown in between.

Is there another deckplan that shows different for before Sept. 2020?

21 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I'm thinking of paying to go from an inside to a BX Deck 8 on Joy. Can someone help me understand this? I thought Deck 8 was waterfront on Joy (and Bliss). How is it possible there's a balcony there, I remember being able to walk around the entire ship on the waterfront. What is the obstruction like on deck 8 balconies and how are they placed? I can't figure out how you have a balcony and a cabin both on Waterfront deck 8.

Silver-level cruiser here, been on Bliss twice (which is supposed to be just like Joy) but never really paid attention to that layout because I didn't have balcony nor did I use the waterfront much...Really lost on this one,  please help.

All the "waterfront" /deck 8 balconies are way forward, beyond the brew house.
In my opinion, that is a very decent location, the further forward you are. Very little foot traffic. I did not have any problem with loud music filtering from the brew house (starboard side).  If the BX is allowing you to pick a cabin #,  you know exactly where you are.

P.S. the Bx category was letting us pick a cabin. Three were showing available for our cruise......the dark purple ones.

Edited by Arzeena

52 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Ya but those long balconies, ugh. Still,

better than no balcony. And as long as they’re partially covered near the sliding door by the cabin balcony above, that’s ok 

Your BX balcony isn't longer/deeper than standard...unless they give you a MX/M6/B6.

We have the cabin right next to Food Republic booked on the Encore for NYE.  Never stayed on this deck before but I love the fact that we are so close to the Brewhouse and the other venues on 8 including the waterfront without an elevator ride. Also we are near the elevator that takes you right up to the buffet and Observation Lounge without trekking to the other end of the ship. We will see how it all works out.

Mary Ann

We did "OK" in the GTY lottery. Deck 15 midship Joy. It has a bit of an overhang from the deck above, and that's OK, it will help keep the noise down and provide a little more shade. Its also nice to be up higher for a view. The cabin is under the kids' section, but we don't expect many kids on a 12-day cruise in the the middle of school season, so thats also OK. Its close to the elevators and the observation lounge which is pretty much our favourite place on the ship, so that's a plus.

Perhaps some foot traffic or background noise from stage music, but that stuff usually happens when everyone's awake anyway, so all in all, not a bad assignment! We'll take it without stressing, especially for the total price paid, it's a good deal. The guest staying in this cabin is an early riser anyway. Perhaps there might be latenight parties on the topdeck, but some happen in Spice H2O on other ships (assuming Joy is like that too) so hopefully it won't be every night, and they tend to clear out by 11:30.

Edited by marktwothousand

Looks like I ended up upgrading to a balcony too, as prices dropped yet again.

I ended up getting a cabin assigned on deck 9, B8, above Le Bistro on Joy, that's aft, right side near the elevators. Anyone know the following:

- what will the view from a Deck 9 balcony look like directly over the waterfront? ie. will I be able to lean over my railing and see people, essentially...dining? Or are the dining sections covered? I've been on Bliss - but I can't remember how the layout works on the waterfront, I never paid much attention to it. Anyone who's been on Bliss or Joy could comment?

- Noise? Not a big issue for me as I am more of a night owl anyway, but does Le Bistro open for Breakfast/Lunch or is it a Dinner venue? I'm not usually in bed any time before midnight, and generally a heavy sleeper, so noise has to be pretty bad for it to bother me.

Edit: Also, I'm in a "Sleeps 3" cabin, whats the difference between the sleeps 3 and sleeps 4? How do I ensure I have the beds pushed together? Will the bed be near the balcony or near the stateroom door?

Sorry for all the questions, its my first time having a balcony.

Edited by marktwothousand

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

Edit: Also, I'm in a "Sleeps 3" cabin, whats the difference between the sleeps 3 and sleeps 4? How do I ensure I have the beds pushed together? Will the bed be near the balcony or near the stateroom door?

A sleeps 3 won't have a pullman bed in the ceiling.

If the beds are wrong, just tell the steward on embarkation (or leave a note). It will be corrected before bedtime.

Most sleeps 3 are bed near closet for your category. There are some sleeps 3 with bed near balcony, though.