Sea pass card

On 10/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, B-52 said:

is this a new procedure across the board? Or just anthem. 

I don’t believe it is based on the ship but the port. We’ve sailed out of Cape Liberty twice, once on Anthem and once on Adventure, both had sea pass cards at the staterooms.

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

How does it work for the 2nd leg of a B2B?

Same as any other ship.  They'll give out the new cards the morning of (usually).  Where the cards are located for initial boarding have no impact on b2bers.

• Thanks 1

Interesting topic about Seapass cards.

Personally, I don't see the issue with them on the door, either in a sealed envelope or an unsealed one. As noted, there is nothing in the room to steal anyway. I would be more understanding of people being concerned about their luggage being left in a corridor than the issue with the Seapass cards.

As much as I do understand a solo female traveller being wary about entering an unsecured room, I really think that isn't a problem here. Firstly, the person hiding in your room would need to know they had picked the room with the solo female, and not the one with two Marines. Secondly, if their intention was to rob you, embarkation day would be the worst time to do that.. there are plenty too many people wandering around the corridors for that. Finally, if their intention was to attack you, again, the first day of the cruise would be a silly time for that as well. If you're that concerned, you could always wait for the cabin stewars to be around and ask them to show you into the room, I'm sure they would be only too happy to assist

If you're concerned about someone using your card to buy drinks etc, then the first thing you should do is turn on the TV and check your account.

Also, this may be a thing for US sailings only. On our last cruise out of Singapore, we were handed our Seapass cards at check in.

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

No, some foreign ports do it too.

Sydney, Australia absolutely does it for Ovation - cards always have been outside the room.

When I travelled on Voyager and Explorer in 2016 and 2017 respectively, cards were issued at check-in. The bigger the ship, the more cards they have to produce on-board the ship and then transfer on-shore, set up and filter through to find yours during check-in. Much easier to distribute them to stewards to issue during turnaround.

22 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Interesting topic about Seapass cards.

Personally, I don't see the issue with them on the door, either in a sealed envelope or an unsealed one.

Like most things in life for the uninitiated at first glance it would seem illogical to leave the keys to your cabin hanging outside in plain view but once you've experienced the process usually your angst is relieved.

When we were on Anthem, on one of our tours, we found out there are 1,400 cameras on the ship and all are equipped with facial recognition (hence the expressionless photo requirement).  The question was asked about kids taking the xbox controllers.   The crew member informed us that yes, it has happened, and yes they always know who did it and where it is.   I wouldn't worry about your room cards.   

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but on Anthem, what difference would it make if the envelopes were sealed or not?  They use RFID cards and the door reader could read a card through a paper envelope.

46 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but on Anthem, what difference would it make if the envelopes were sealed or not?  They use RFID cards and the door reader could read a card through a paper envelope.

However if the card was used to purchase something, like a drink, the envelope would have had to be opened.

38 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

However if the card was used to purchase something, like a drink, the envelope would have had to be opened.

True, but that would be hilarious to watch if they tried to purchase without taking the card out of the envelope.

Fun fact... our 2017 Anthem cruise had a Noro outbreak the sailing before us.  For this reason, entry to the staterooms was significantly delayed for cleaning (as was Muster).  When we were finally were able to get in, all of the doors were open and the cards were on the desk, along with our prepurchased stuff, notes from C&A, etc.  Was fun to see some of the other kinds of cabins as you walked by.