Fort Lauderdale Departure on Super Bowl Sunday

Daniel A

We are booked to leave from Port Everglades on February 2, 2020.  The Super Bowl starts at 6PM in Miami that day.  Nobody on our rollcall was able to book hotels in Fort Lauderdale because of the Super Bowl.  Most of us will be driving to PE on Sunday morning from points north of West Palm Beach.  Does anybody have knowledge of how bad traffic will be between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale?

5 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

Also departing Feb 2nd, but was able to get a hotel (booked just yesterday), but HOLY PRICEY!!

Seems every time we go to FLL there is a big event going on causing hotel prices to skyrocket ... lucky us!

We have members of our roll call staying as far away as Orlando.

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

We are booked to leave from Port Everglades on February 2, 2020.  The Super Bowl starts at 6PM in Miami that day.  Nobody on our rollcall was able to book hotels in Fort Lauderdale because of the Super Bowl.  Most of us will be driving to PE on Sunday morning from points north of West Palm Beach.  Does anybody have knowledge of how bad traffic will be between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale?

We were there last time Super Bowl was in Miami.. and we sailed out of Miami.. now we stayed the night before.. , our friends arrived the day of and made the ship without any issues.. so you should be fine..

We are also sailing out again on Super Bowl Feb 2 2020, we are actually staying in Miami.. I booked the room back in Feb.. 

What cruise line are you sailing on?

19 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

We were there last time Super Bowl was in Miami.. and we sailed out of Miami.. now we stayed the night before.. , our friends arrived the day of and made the ship without any issues.. so you should be fine..

We are also sailing out again on Super Bowl Feb 2 2020, we are actually staying in Miami.. I booked the room back in Feb.. 

What cruise line are you sailing on?

Regal Princess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

Port Everglades is  North of Miami, anyone coming from North Florida in the morning should not have any problems.  Leave yourself extra time and you'll be fine. 

My concern was that it seems all of the hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity of Fort Lauderdale are booked because of the Super Bowl.  I would think that in addition to cruisers staying in hotels well north of Fort Lauderdale there would be a considerable number of football fans also staying in those same hotels.  I hope everybody isn't getting on I-95 and the Turnpike at the same time.  (Hard Rock Stadium can seat almost 65,000 fans)

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

My concern was that it seems all of the hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity of Fort Lauderdale are booked because of the Super Bowl.  I would think that in addition to cruisers staying in hotels well north of Fort Lauderdale there would be a considerable number of football fans also staying in those same hotels.  I hope everybody isn't getting on I-95 and the Turnpike at the same time.  (Hard Rock Stadium can seat almost 65,000 fans)

Hotels in Miami are horrendously priced too....if you can find one!   We get off a cruise at POM on Feb 2nd.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:24 PM, Daniel A said:

Does anybody have knowledge of how bad traffic will be between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale?

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I hope everybody isn't getting on I-95 and the Turnpike at the same time.  (Hard Rock Stadium can seat almost 65,000 fans)

Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale highway traffic will be like any other Sunday whether there is Dolphins game or Superbowl. It will flow just fine.

The only backups will be within a 1 mile radius of the Stadium which is not near Port Everglades (or Port Miami).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, camper49 said:

We are staying in Stuart..how much time should we allow to get to port? 

Whether you take I-95 (I would!) or the Turnpike you can expect 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic.  I'm guessing closer to 1.5 hours.

7 hours ago, camper49 said:

We are staying in Stuart..how much time should we allow to get to port? 

I would guessI about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hr.  Just take 95 S  If your going to get on a ship you'll be well north of the traffic and many hours early.  You'll be at sea when the game starts.

Edited by rucruisn2
added info

13 hours ago, AdGuyMG said:

Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale highway traffic will be like any other Sunday whether there is Dolphins game or Superbowl. It will flow just fine.

The only backups will be within a 1 mile radius of the Stadium which is not near Port Everglades (or Port Miami).

That's so funny, whether or not the Dolphins are playing. They are so bad who would pay to see them? I wonder if  they even get 10,000 in the stadium.  I feel bad for the vendors working inside, they can't make money if no one is there.

10 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

I would guessI about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hr.  Just take 95 S  If your going to get on a ship you'll be well north of the traffic and many hours early.  You'll be at sea when the game starts.

I've driven to both Palm Beach Airport and Port Everglades from Stuart many times.  The trip to Palm Beach on I-95 usually takes about 50 minutes or so.  It usually takes me about 1 1/2 to 1hour 45 min. for the trip from Stuart to Port Everglades.  I usually set my cruise control at the speed limit.  An hour an a half would be exceptional, I would count more on a 1:45 trip on a normal weekend day. YMMV

17 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

So if the poster was going on Super Bowl Sunday, not rush hour, probable 1 1/5 hr?

That's why I started this thread.  I have enough experience doing the drive to Port Everglades on a normal weekend morning,  I'm looking for knowledgeable responses to the question :  How do you think the drive will differ on Super Bowl Sunday? 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, Daniel A said:

That's why I started this thread.  I have enough experience doing the drive to Port Everglades on a normal weekend morning,  I'm looking for knowledgeable responses to the question :  How do you think the drive will differ on Super Bowl Sunday? 

You will not notice any traffic difference or congestion heading south from Palm Beach County on the major highways or on 595 eastbound leading into Port Everglades than on any other typical Sunday.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, rucruisn2 said:

So if the poster was going on Super Bowl Sunday, not rush hour, probable 1 1/5 hr?

No, closer to two hours any way or any day you drive it.

I work one day a week in WPB and it takes me almost an hour to get from my house on Las Olas to Clematis Street.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, Daniel A said:

We're talking a large urban area with millions of residents.  There's no reason to think an event in Miami will significantly affect traffic in the FLL area....

Most of the hotels in south Florida will be full that time of year anyway.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Thanks 1