Mexico

Petronillus

I live full time in Cozumel and we get 7+ cruise ships PER DAY in high season and there is no safety issues unless you go looking for drugs.

Can I say the same for the back streets of Playa del Carmen or Cancun?  NO

22 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We haven't left the ship in many years when docked in Mexico, we refuse to spend a dime in that corrupt and dangerous country.

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

I live full time in Cozumel and we get 7+ cruise ships PER DAY in high season and there is no safety issues unless you go looking for drugs.

Can I say the same for the back streets of Playa del Carmen or Cancun?  NO

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

No, it's reality. Did you have big problems in Canada that made you move to Mexico?

Edited by MISTER 67

26 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

No, it's reality. Did you have big problems in Canada that made you move to Mexico?

No.  We came here 3x a year for vacations to scuba dive.  When we retired, we sold everything and moved here permanently.  Absolutely love it though the # of tourists that come off the cruise ships can get to be a bit much during high season.

4 hours ago, dot73 said:

Speaking of San Miguel, The Toronto Star reprinted a LA Times piece about it.  I have attached a PDF copy.

San Miguel has been popular with Canadian artists who find inspiration there. It's from a photographer's point of view but I thought you find it interesting.  Let me know if the PDF worked.

The pdf worked perfectly. Thanks for forwarding the article. It's great to hear that San Miguel is still going strong, and as charming as ever. When I was there, there was a sizeable expat community, and the city thrived as an artist colony centered on the Escuela and as a center of Spanish language instruction. Woefully few of us Americans appreciate the depth of Mexican history and culture.

• Like 1

We are in Puerto Vallarta as I write this.  Spending 10 says in a resort in Nuevo Vallarta which we visit yearly.  We have been into town twice on the city bus.  We do grocery shopping , go out to eat, and visit our dentist!  Always feel safe.  We are careful.where and when we go to town.  
I don’t wear any jewelry and carry a very small purse.  Not unlike what I do on shore excursions in Asia or even certain parts of Europe.  Our entire family (children, grands, and us ) are going to Cabo for Christmas.  We find the Mexican people to be warm, friendly, and helpful.  We did some volunteer work this morning and felt safe and blessed that we could help children in a small way.  We realize that there can be unfortunate incidents wherever we travel.  Even at home!  If you plan to visit Mexico, do your research about where you want to go.  Use reputable tour companies.  Understand your comfort level, stay alert when out and about, and enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 9:04 AM, Tudy said:

I have a family member who works in Homeland Security.  He tells us not to get off the boat anywhere in Mexico.  I only disobey if I am on a cruise ship excursion. 

I doubt he has ever been to Mexico.  We live in Mazatlan six months out of the year and have never felt unsafe.

We have been to several places where some Gov't agencies have recommended against for various reasons.   Usually personal safety.  Turkey, Greece, Thailand to name a few.

In all cases we made contact with either expats, US, Canadian, Brits, or Aussies who were either living there are spending time in those countries at that time on extended trips.  In all instances we made our decision based tp gp based on the feedback from those folks.  And in all cases, I might add, we returned wondering why we were ever advised against visiting.   One benefit though, tourism was down, airfares were less expensive as was lodging, etc.

I really think it pays to listen to people actually live in those locations.   My guess is that there are places within cities in North American that people who reside there would never recommend locals, let alone tourists travel.

Edited by iancal

Be safe every one  .We just returned  from the Eurodam Nov 9 ,2019  Mexican Rivera, 7 night cruise . Although we have been to these & all the other Mexican ports ,we just got off to shop  in the port stores in Mazatlan . No problems ;but ,always aware of our surroundings 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 7:32 PM, awhcruiser said:

I doubt he has ever been to Mexico.  We live in Mazatlan six months out of the year and have never felt unsafe.

Not only has he been to Mexico he knows all about it. He would say that you feel safe because he is doing a good job. :-)

• Haha 1

We expect to be heading to Mexico next month for 6-8 weeks on an independent land trip.  Starting in Huatulco.  We have done a fair amount of research.   There are areas that we intend to avoid, just as there are in other countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

We expect to be heading to Mexico next month for 6-8 weeks on an independent land trip.  Starting in Huatulco.  We have done a fair amount of research.   There are areas that we intend to avoid, just as there are in other countries.

So true!

The Mexico of today is not the Mexico of 30 years ago when I would cross over to Tijuana for a good restaurant.  Nowadays, if a ship I am on ports in Mexico, I enjoy a quiet, uncrowded day on the ship.  

I don't get off the ship in other ports as well.

My cruise, my life, my decision.

Edited by SargassoPirate

We just got back from 11 days In Puerto Vallarta.  We got out away from the resort and enjoyed town and the countryside.  Never once did we feel unsafe.  I’m so glad we didn’t listen to all the dire warnings.  We would have missed so much.  Go, be aware of your surroundings, enjoy, and have fun!

• Like 1