Semi-live + Recap: Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure, 23 November to 1 December 2019

FionaMG

31 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

The beef wellington, which was excellent. The beef was very tender and tasty but we chose well when we asked for it medium rare; if we had gone for medium well it would have been too dry for sure.

20191129_011406.thumb.jpg.1b357f2356d450b5a6a330f187110728.jpg

My wife made me Beef Wellington tonight!  However, I thought beef wellington was beef in a puff pastry?  

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

My wife made me Beef Wellington tonight!  However, I thought beef wellington was beef in a puff pastry?  

Yes, it is. You just can't see the puff pastry in the pic, but it's there.

Hope yours was good too. 😀

Tonight was lobster night.

P_20191129_185811_p.thumb.jpg.5dfae36d30510d30a395eeb407a4af76.jpg

We took our assistant waiter up on his suggestion to make it into a surf and turf dish.

P_20191129_193446_p.thumb.jpg.b847632408842bc4149c104d1243b0a1.jpg

Dessert for me was molten cake, which a bit of a disappointment as it was certainly not molten. ☹️

P_20191129_201557_p.thumb.jpg.cb112c0335a7b7b77b9833e9e89f29a3.jpg

And Fernando had the baked Alaska, which he said was fine.

P_20191129_201630_p.thumb.jpg.d01d9026d4c645e36ca9c46738161389.jpg

I saw some of the 50th anniversary cakes being distributed to several tables nearby but none of them made it to our table. Not that I would have had space for it anyway.

Tonight is also the 70s party. The songs they have been singing so far have been less than inspiring and the promenade is nowhere near as busy as I have seen in the past for this event.

Of course, you have to factor in the demographic. A lot of the people on board weren't even born in 70s.

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Dessert for me was molten cake, which a bit of a disappointment as it was certainly not molten. 

P_20191129_201557_p.thumb.jpg.cb112c0335a7b7b77b9833e9e89f29a3.jpg

I was just reading over some of my older live threads and I made the same comment about the molten cake on the Grandeur!!!

The internet has been working fine since yesterday and I got some money credited back to my seapass account.

Today was a sea day and the first time we have noticed the ship moving. There is a very distinct rocking motion.

On day one we had to put our clocks forward an hour and they haven't given the hour back yet, so I assume they are saving it for tomorrow to give us more time to pack before they evict us. Boo. ☹️

3 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I was just reading over some of my older live threads and I made the same comment about the molten cake on the Grandeur!!!

I need to take them to my local mall where there is a French bistro that makes really good ones! 😂

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We took our assistant waiter up on his suggestion to make it into a surf and turf dish.

being in a suburb of upstate NY its hard to come by a goof surf and turf. that might be what i'm looking forward to most on my  jan. sailing 😄 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Dinner looked good tonight. Glad you got some money back for your internet. 

It was very good.

They gave us 40% back according to the note we received in our room. To my mind it should have been 60% since it didn't start working properly until day 6, but I was using it for the other days even if it was not up to par, so I reckon I won't quibble.

6 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I've been disappointed in the "molten"cake. Usually only do 2 desserts each cruise. Now I'm down to one. 

The chocolate cake seems to be jyst soaked in chocolate syrup. They definately changed the recipe over the years

The chocolate mousse cake they had in the WJ at lunch today was better than the molten cake.

My favourite was the hot chocolate cookie we had earlier in the cruise and which I forgot to take a picture of. My bad. 

This is our last day. Tomorrow they will make us get off the ship. Boo. ☹️

The ship has been rocking a lot since we left St. Martin. We went to the Captain's question time this morning and he said it's due to a weather system about 200 miles to the north.

Somebody else told us there is a massive storm brewing covering a large area of the US. I hope it will not cause problems for cruisers next week.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:29 AM, FionaMG said:

Dessert for me was molten cake, which a bit of a disappointment as it was certainly not molten. ☹️

Honestly, the latest experiences I had with the molten chocolate cake were, that it was tastier in the MDR than at Chops. At least in the MDR you can understand if it's not molten given the hundreds of servings but at Chops you would expect better.

Well, we successfully made the long trek home. It was a straight 24 hours from the time of the last wake-up call on board to the moment we put the key in our front door this morning, so we are pretty zonked out.

I will get started on the recap tomorrow after I have had some rest and will post a bunch of stuff that I had intended to post live, had I not been sabotaged by the internet failure. 

Many thanks to everyone who tried to follow my live thread despite the difficulties; I hope you will tag along for the recap too. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

• Clarea changed the title to Semi-live + Recap: Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure, 23 November to 1 December 2019
10 minutes ago, EDiamond22 said:

we need a good Billy Mays "BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE" 😄
looking forward to the recap hope you enjoyed it all, 32 days till im on her 🙂 !!

You're going to have a great time! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Fiona,

Thanks for posting your review.

I saw in one of your pictures that you had a Promenade facing cabin. How was it? What deck was it on? Would you do it again?

It was fine. This is the third time we have had a promenade view cabin and we would definitely do it again. We find it to be a very good value-for-money option, especially if, like us, you spend very little time in the room. We were on deck 7 - #7593, a location we found to be very convenient. 

You do have to be careful with the location. Last year we had #7279 on Navigator, which was opposite the pub, and we found it to be noisy. The ones we have had towards the ends of the promenade have not been noisy at all.

You also have to remember to keep the curtains closed when you are in the room with the light on. We got a birds-eye view of something we would rather not have seen in a cabin across from us! :classic_blush:

• Haha 1