Streaming to your cabin TV

Matco

This is our first time on Princess and we will be on the Royal next weekend, and it got me thinking, the TV/movie selection while on board is usually slim and often lots of repeats, not a problem for me as I spend little time watching it but my girlfriend likes to watch it at night or while getting ready for the day, is there way to stream/Air Play movies that are downloaded to my iPad to the TV in our cabin?  

The newer movies, the ones shown on the outdoor screen, are available in the cabin the next day. All shows and movies are on demand and can be stopped and restarted. You can watch a movie or show over two three days. Port lectures are re broadcast over the TV.

There are lots of posts on how to attach saved files to the TV. The TVs are attached to the walls so it is difficult to access the inputs. The remotes are also limited. But, apparently for those technically inclined it can be accomplished.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The movie selection on the Royal is quite extensive. Over a 100 to pick from. Can start a movie anytime you want. Can pause it and resume it at a later time if you wish.

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

You will be amazed at how many movies/tv shows etc you will have to choose from, with new being added all the time.

3 hours ago, skynight said:

The newer movies, the ones shown on the outdoor screen, are available in the cabin the next day. All shows and movies are on demand and can be stopped and restarted. You can watch a movie or show over two three days. Port lectures are re broadcast over the TV.

There are lots of posts on how to attach saved files to the TV. The TVs are attached to the walls so it is difficult to access the inputs. The remotes are also limited. But, apparently for those technically inclined it can be accomplished.

Good to know, the last ship we were on was carnivals inspiration and the TV was terrible, well from what she told me anyways.

looks like I wont have to worry about anything then, thanks for the quick responses 

18 hours ago, Matco said:

This is our first time on Princess and we will be on the Royal next weekend, and it got me thinking, the TV/movie selection while on board is usually slim and often lots of repeats, not a problem for me as I spend little time watching it but my girlfriend likes to watch it at night or while getting ready for the day, is there way to stream/Air Play movies that are downloaded to my iPad to the TV in our cabin?  

Last April on the Regal Princess I had unlimited internet and streamed from my iPhone to the TV with an HDMI cable. Was able to watch James Holzhauer on Jeopardy every night in the middle of the Atlantic. The following might be helpful:

Princess TV setup

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

Last April on the Regal Princess I had unlimited internet and streamed from my iPhone to the TV with an HDMI cable. Was able to watch James Holzhauer on Jeopardy every night in the middle of the Atlantic. The following might be helpful:

Princess TV setup

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Thanks for your fantastic information. I have saved this for future cruises.

1 hour ago, Bestbubba said:

Can anyone tell me if there is the facility to add captions to movies on the cabin TV?

Many thanks. 

Some movies have them, some don't. 

They have increased the amount since a few years ago.

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Some movies have them, some don't. 

They have increased the amount since a few years ago.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Would you know if you can access the captions through the TV remote control as we do at home? I don't cruise to watch TV, but being deaf, sometimes a movie in the cabin is preferable to some of the onboard entertainment that I find difficult to follow 😊

2 minutes ago, Bestbubba said:

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Would you know if you can access the captions through the TV remote control as we do at home? I don't cruise to watch TV, but being deaf, sometimes a movie in the cabin is preferable to some of the onboard entertainment that I find difficult to follow 😊

Yes, there's a menu at the bottom of the screen to turn them on & off (if they have them for that particular movie.)

My DH likes them especially at night so he doesn't have to turn up the sound to loud since he has a hearing problem & refuses to admit it.

I also like them for English movies since I miss a lot of word pronunciations. :classic_laugh: 

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, there's a menu at the bottom of the screen to turn them on & off (if they have them for that particular movie.)

My DH likes them especially at night so he doesn't have to turn up the sound to loud since he has a hearing problem & refuses to admit it.

I also like them for English movies since I miss a lot of word pronunciations. :classic_laugh: 

Thank you again, I'm so grateful to you. I had to laugh at you using them for English movies. We're from the UK and most of our hearing friends use captions for American shows for the same reason! 

My DH was the same as yours, refused to admit to a hearing problem. Only when our kids told him bluntly "dad, you can't hear" did he do anything about it. He now wears 2 aids and was man enough  to admit there's a huge improvement! 😂