Alaska cruisetour

luv2cruiser

• 1 month later...

Yes, we're booked on "The Great Frontier Expedition Cruisetour 8B," which is the southbound adventure that includes six days of land tour beginning on Aug 7 in Fairbanks, working our way down to Seward where the cruise begins on Aug 13.  We picked this one because it has three rail legs, and because hubby wants to tour first and cruise second.  I may not be able to answer many questions though... we've been to Alaska twice previously on another cruise line, but they were both 7-day cruises with no land tour.

Edited by SunsetPoint

On 12/1/2019 at 2:59 PM, luv2cruiser said:

Anyone planning August 2021 cruisetour to Alaska & Canada?  I know it’s early, but have questions.  

PNG image.png

Wow!  Alaska has changed from our last visit there based on the photo above.

What are your questions?

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, SunsetPoint said:

Yes, we're booked on "The Great Frontier Expedition Cruisetour 8B," which is the southbound adventure that includes six days of land tour beginning on Aug 7 in Fairbanks, working our way down to Seward where the cruise begins on Aug 13.  We picked this one because it has three rail legs, and because hubby wants to tour first and cruise second.  I may not be able to answer many questions though... we've been to Alaska twice previously on another cruise line, but they were both 7-day cruises with no land tour.

Sunset Point - hope you'll do a review of your trip. We're in the talking stages on the same itinerary for 2021. Travel safely and thanks.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, keesar said:

Wow!  Alaska has changed from our last visit there based on the photo above.

What are your questions?

On 12/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, luv2cruiser said:

Anyone planning August 2021 cruisetour to Alaska & Canada?  I know it’s early, but have questions.  

PNG image.png

I heard Global warming has affected Alaska, but not like this picture, LOL. What are your questions?

1 hour ago, Swordfish1949 said:

Sunset Point - hope you'll do a review of your trip. We're in the talking stages on the same itinerary for 2021. Travel safely and thanks.

The original poster asked if anyone was planning one for 2021 and that's what I replied to, so our trip is planned for August 7-20, 2021.  I plan to do a review, but if you're thinking about booking for 2021 I'm thinking it will be kind of late for your planning purposes!  😁

• Thanks 1

I've been to Alaska twice with Celebrity. Both with land tours. I'd like to say the we wish we had done the land tours first then cruised back down the Inside Passage. It is tiring but fun doing the land tours. Maybe you could look on the Alaska board and find some answers to your questions, I found lots of information there while planning our cruises. Have fun planning. Alaska is simply beautiful. You won't regret going there. 

• Like 1

Following along as I'm thinking of Alaska for 2022 (I know, long way out, but major birthday year too) and we're looking at a B2B with a land tour add-on.  Since the OP hasn't come back with questions I'll throw a couple out.  Seems like several of the 3 & 4 night tours are very similar, anyone done them and have something that stands out as a unique experience that isn't offered on a one of the other tours?  Also, we usually get a suite, but in doing some mock bookings now it looks like most suites don't include any perks when you book the LT.  Is that normally the case?  I assume the perks would only be while on the ship, but is there even a way to get them?

We did the Land Tour A1 to Denali from Anchorage pre-Cruise.    I would have to say it was one of the best tours we have taken.   I'm sure it had a lot to do with the guide and the bus driver, both exceptional. 

• Like 1

We've done 2 land tours with Celebrity, one post and one pre, and one on our own pre with another one in the planning stages (originally planned for 2020 but pushed back to 2021 for an anniversary cruise).

There was a lot to be said for the tours with celebrity, nothing to plan on you own just follow the crowd. We were lucky both times that everyone was on time but there was no down time.

As we get older we need our "our time" so once everything was/is planned the trip was more relaxing. Our 1st on our own we concentrated on Seward, next year it will be Denali again.

If you do the Celebrity tour I recommend you do it pre cruise.  Try to book a tour that gives you enough time in Denali to do the longer tour into the park, even if you have to pay extra. The Riverboat Discovery Tour in Fairbanks was fun, as was the museum at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks.

On our own we enjoyed the 7 or 8 hour boat tour up the Kenia Peninsula from Seward.

Either way, the train segments are enjoyable. 

We done Alaska with Princess in 2016 with land tour first, this year we are going back with Celebrity August 7th 2020  with Heartland land tour first. Land tour first is nice, some relaxation  on cruise south.