Lunch at Chops - any vegetarian options?

shanley

I purchased the Key because I have a kid with sever anxiety who doesn't do well in crowds. Hopefully it will be useful for embarking and debarking.

From what I understand on the Harmony lunch is the Chops menu in the MDR.  Anyone know if we can get any vegetarian options other than mac n cheese and a side of asparagus?   I'm looking forward to skipping Windjammer and having a steak for lunch but we are not all meat eaters. She doesn't need anything fancy, just a veggie burger would be fine. Otherwise she'll just probably eat asparagus.

Anyone know if the mushroom soup is vegetarian?  On our last cruise with NCL, almost every soup was made with chicken or beef stock.

48 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

The mushroom soup is vegetarian - or it was the last time I checked, but you can double check with the waiter before you order

Thanks. We will definitely check first, but its nice to know it is likely an option.

Soup, asparagus and dessert would be enough for lunch if getting a vegetarian entree is not option.

12 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Does the vegetarian eat fish? Salmon is an entree option.

There is also a wedge salad. You may request this without the bacon bits.

No she doesn't eat fish. Caesar salad dressing has anchovy in it.

I was hoping for the possibility of asking for an entree rather than just having sides.

33 minutes ago, shanley said:

I was hoping for the possibility of asking for an entree rather than just having sides.

Giovanni's would be a better choice for a vegetarian if that's possible.  Giovanni's has an excellent filet for those who want a steak.

40 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Giovanni's would be a better choice for a vegetarian if that's possible.  Giovanni's has an excellent filet for those who want a steak.

I thought The Key only allowed you to eat at Chops. Does it allow you to eat at Giovanni's instead?

Also for those saying about eating fish - that would be a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. Just so you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cloud_nine said:

I thought The Key only allowed you to eat at Chops. Does it allow you to eat at Giovanni's instead? ...

Sorry, I missed the part about the thread being about The Key.  The Key is very limited and I don't know if Giovanni's is possible.  I do know that the menu used for The Key is an abbreviated version of the normal lunch menu.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

25 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

I thought The Key only allowed you to eat at Chops. Does it allow you to eat at Giovanni's instead?

Also for those saying about eating fish - that would be a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. Just so you know.

Harmony does not have Giovanni’s, it has Jamies Italian.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We had the Key and ate in the MDR for the lunch.  They offered anything of the kids menu for my 8 year old.  It has cheese pizza, spaghetti marinara or grilled cheese if she would eat any of those.  In  the end, my son was talked into the adult burger on the Chops menu and they left off some of the stuff to make it more kid friendly.  On the Harmony, they really tried to make my picky eater happy!  

3 hours ago, shanley said:

Check on board about the Caesar salad dressing. While a well made Caesar salad should have actual anchovies on the salad, many people do not like them.

As a result the salad is often served without the anchovies (may be requested on some cruiselines). The traditional Caesar salad dressing does not contain anchovies as the anchovy filets are on the salad.  

The "cheat" Caesar salad dressing may contain anchovy paste to give the right flavor to the salad. However, that is not a given.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Check on board about the Caesar salad dressing. While a well made Caesar salad should have actual anchovies on the salad, many people do not like them.

As a result the salad is often served without the anchovies (may be requested on some cruiselines). The traditional Caesar salad dressing does not contain anchovies as the anchovy filets are on the salad.  

The "cheat" Caesar salad dressing may contain anchovy paste to give the right flavor to the salad. However, that is not a given.

I just went and looked at an MDR menu someone had posted recently and the Caesar salad that's available every night is not listed as vegetarian, so I'm assuming that's because it has some form of anchovy in it.  

Edited by BND

There may be a B2B luncheon in the MDR at the same time that the Key people are having their lunch.  There is likely to be a vegetarian option (like eggplant parmesan) on that menu.  Perhaps you could inquire about having that.

🙂 

Just now, Tee & Chilli said:

The Chops wedge salad isn’t Caesar.

No, it's not.  It's got bleu cheese dressing on it.  And, bacon.  I get it without dressing as I hate bleu cheese.

Edited by BND

Just now, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Doesn't CHOPS have a portobello mushroom steak?  It's been a few years since we ate there.  But seems a recall seeing a really nice looking huge portobello.  

If they did, it may not be on the special Key lunch menu.