NCL Joy - First Alaskan cruise - best choice? Help?!

aimcat

Wanting to start planning an Alaskan cruise for either April or May 2020. It looks like the Joy is the newest ship doing the Alaskan itinerary. It says it does the inside passage. Is this the best option and best ports of call to do for first time and to take in the most sights? Would this be the best ship? 

For us, the highlight of our Alaska cruise was cruising in Glacier bay. I would look for a cruise that goes there. I'm sure others will have a different opinion. I think that Alaska will be amazing no matter what you choose, I know it was for us. Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

It's a one way trip so you fly in/out of two different airports.  The joy is huge! We took the JEWEL in May and I thought it was a nice sized ship, not sure if the JOY can do Tracy Arm.

There are no AK cruises in April, they start in later May.

Look at your port times over everything else, the longer in port the better. 

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Thanks 1

We did Alaska on the Joy this past September. My only complaint is that the ship did not get close to any glaciers. If I was going in 2020, I would look at the Sun's trips. They are longer than a week and include several days of glacier cruising. 

7 hours ago, Catbiri2 said:

Mom and I are sailing on the Joy for the Alaska Cruise from Seattle to Seattle. 7 Day Cruise, April 25th, 2020. Our First time. Looking forward to it already 🙂

In my opinion this is too early.   I find mid May and later my preference.   I believe Endicott Arm is your itinerary?  

9 hours ago, aimcat said:

Wanting to start planning an Alaskan cruise for either April or May 2020. It looks like the Joy is the newest ship doing the Alaskan itinerary. It says it does the inside passage. Is this the best option and best ports of call to do for first time and to take in the most sights? Would this be the best ship? 

ALL Alaska cruises do “inside passage “.  You can’t get to Juneau or Skagway without doing so.    A major negative of Seattle itineraries is essentially 2 open ocean sea days and short port times.    Know what Tours YOU want and be sure it fits your time 

Late May and June are much better.  A smaller ship, even the size of Celebrity is good.  Celebrity, in my opinion has the best itineraries.  We have been there five times.  Hope you like it.  They don't seem to go too close to the glaciers any more.  Probably because they are kind of disappearing.  I love Alaska.  Go for it!

17 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

In my opinion this is too early.   I find mid May and later my preference.   I believe Endicott Arm is your itinerary?  

Thank you for your opinion, unfortunately we live and work in a Summer Resort Town where taking vacations from Mid-May through Mid-October is not feasible with our work schedules. I am sure it would nicer to go a bit later, but we will take what we can get and I am sure we will enjoy it anyhow :)

And yes, our itinerary includes Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.

This will also be my first time in a balcony cabin on any cruise line :)