Shores excursions - not booking through cruise line

Kfrech

Since I'm an infrequent cruiser (only have cruised twice previously), I'm leery about booking excursions through independent providers, but the savings can be significant. Should I be? We are cruising the Inside Passage on HAL roundtrip from Vancouver in June. Our port stops include Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Is there anything I should be aware or tips you can offer if I do decide to book independently?

Thank you!

Book independently! These companies are used to working with cruise passengers. They would really screw up if their customers missed the ship.

Just don't cut your time short. Most companies will be able to tell you by the ship you are on what excursions work for your time in port. Or you can tell them you are in port from 9-5 (which means be back on the ship by 4:30 and I would want to be downtown by 4 if it was me.

Edited by Coral

4 out of 5 I booked for June 2020 were independent.   In addition to above (which I agree with) the way I see it... it's likely that you will also have people on the tour that did book through the cruise line  = you'll be treated he same and back on time .    

Edited by sr71_1

The only one I booked through the cruise was the excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord that meets the ship and gets closer to the glaciers.  The rest of the ports (Juneau, Skagway, ISP and Ketchikan) I booked independently.  Much cheaper and I got the ones I really wanted (like Traitors Cove).

Just go to the visitors bureau websites in each of the towns where you will be stopping and book directly with the independent businesses which they will be glad to give you the listings for them.

This avoids the added costs of a third party agency/booker and also gives you more recourse with any problem which may arise. (Any  independent company has to be more responsive than some third party agent if the speed bumps occur)

Also, you can query an independent re. what the tour will actually entail. Don't hesitate to ask specific questions, like "how does your tour differ from all others?" You may find that most of them will have some feature on their tour that is not available thru the "package bookers", such as extra stops, or where you can actually chose where to have lunch, ( optional restaurants, with menus), or even choosing the stop where you actually get to hold the puppies, while petting them!

These little things come to those who take the extra time to find the truly independent tours and book directly with them.

Pleasant journeys to you all!

DD

• Like 1

When we did Alaska last we did almost all of our tours on our own.  While I haven't done a price comparison for excursions for our upcoming cruise many of the bigger excursions you don't really save any money by going private (Whale Watching, Float Plane, etc) but you tend to get a much more private and unique experience.  As some said 6-8 people on a whale watching excursion versus 200 on a cruise tour.  This is the way we would go for most of our bookings. 

In our cruise experience we have only really booked excursions that are unique through the ship that we can't book somewhere else.  This has allowed us to design our experience and many times allow for extra time while in port to do other things as we have been able to book times that worked best for this.

For the person who asked there are lots of great tour operators in Alaska. We started by looking at the cruise line excursions and picking some top ones in each port that we were interested in.  We then would search this forum for options and reviews.  If you can't find something or need to clarify just ask everyone on this board has always been very helpful.

Has anyone booked Jewell Gardens in Skagway independently? They have a statement on their site that cruise passenger should book through the ship but it’s about $100 more and VERY EARLY! I’d like to visit and make a globe but not for $200.

10 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Has anyone booked Jewell Gardens in Skagway independently? They have a statement on their site that cruise passenger should book through the ship but it’s about $100 more and VERY EARLY! I’d like to visit and make a globe but not for $200.

During our cruise to Alaska the only way to do the Jewell Gardens was to book through the cruise ship.  They didn't have the ability to be able to book anything directly through them.  I believe at that time offering of tours was something new to them and they started off with the cruise ships.  We truly enjoyed the experience, the garden and the gift shop.  I also had the best rhubarb i have ever had in my entire life there.

My guess is that they suggest you book through the ship as their isn't transportation to and from the gardens.  If i remember correctly a couple miles at most?? Anyways, you could probably find transportation on your own.  I would reach out to them and let them know that the cruise ship times don't work for you and you would prefer to book on your own.  I can't imagine they wouldn't allow it.

• Like 1

I suggest a through read of shore excursion lists.    There are hundreds of excellent choices for touring in Alaska.  Too often people get caught up in "best" recommendations,  and frankly may miss out on a better fit for them.   All of Alaska is "best".