HAL Visa Credit Card Points

lastlook

Since the point usage/redemption was revamped a few years ago, I have not fully understood the best strategy/value of using the HAL Visa Points that I've accumulated.  If Ruth C or others who are savvy, have advice for the best way to use 50,000+ points, I would greatly appreciate your input.  I tried doing a search of the HAL boards but came up empty with the search terms that I tried. Thanks in advance & Happy New Year!

I haven't redeemed points in quite a while, preferring to wait until the value goes up, so the rules might have changed. However, the points have always increased in value when held and redeemed in a higher amount. In the past, at least, at 40,000 points the redemption value has increased from 2 points per dollar spent on HAL purchases to 2.5 points per dollar. Much higher point levels had an even greater redemption value. 
I have waited until I had that high a balance, then, when I made a payment on a cruise, redeemed points and applied them to the credit card bill. 

I suggest checking the redemption value at different amounts and seeing if the value still increases as it has. I have a hefty number of points now, and am hoping it still does (I will check before I redeem) as I was planning to do this exact thing again when final payment on my next cruise comes due. 

We redeem our points for credit on our card balance (getting several thousand off many times).  I don't like the way it has changed, it was much easier to understand before the change.  So instead of trying to figure it out, the last few cruises we've just called them and they've always been very helpful. 

You don't have to redeem them before final payment either.  We wait until after final payment (when we get double points for the payment to HAL).  Then we have a nice credit balance that more than pays for any purchases on our trip.

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I suggest checking the redemption value at different amounts and seeing if the value still increases as it has. I have a hefty number of points now, and am hoping it still does (I will check before I redeem) as I was planning to do this exact thing again when final payment on my next cruise comes due. 

I have a hefty points balance that I plan to use to pay for my upcoming cruise in April. I'm so glad someone asked about this!

From what I gleaned on the Barclays website, your points have a greater value when you are using them to pay off a higher balance. So if you are paying off a cruise that costs $4,001, your points are "worth" 2.5% and you need just over 160,000.  Whereas if your cruise costs $3000, your points are "worth" only 2.0% and you would need 150,000.  Is that correct?

I do have another question:  If you want to use your points to pay for a cruise, do you have to have enough points to pay for the entire cruise cost, or can you use points to partially pay for the cruise?  In other words, if my cruise balance is $3,000 must I have the full 150,000 points or can I "pay it down" with, let's say, 130,000 points?

Edited by cruisemom42
corrected math error

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

From what I gleaned on the Barclays website, your points have a greater value when you are using them to pay off a higher balance. So if you are paying off a cruise that costs $4,001, your points are "worth" 2.5% and you need just over 160,000.  Whereas if your cruise costs $3000, your points are "worth" only 2.0% and you would need 150,000.  Is that correct?

That would be a very different way of crediting your points than has been done in the past. 
It has been a long time since I redeemed points, so that could be the way it is done now. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I do have another question:  If you want to use your points to pay for a cruise, do you have to have enough points to pay for the entire cruise cost, or can you use points to partially pay for the cruise?  In other words, if my cruise balance is $3,000 must I have the full 150,000 points or can I "pay it down" with, let's say, 130,000 points?

I have waited until I authorize final payment for a cruise, then redeem points to pay off at least part of the charge to my card. I have never waited until I had enough points to pay for the full cruise, though. It's always been a partial payment on the bill the next month. But, again, the rules may have changed since I last did this. 

Since Holland America charges earn double points (I assume that is still correct information), I book my shore excursions and indulgences prior to redeeming my points.   I called  to redeem my points as soon as the final cruise payment appeared on my credit card statement.  It did not completely pay for the cruise but it sure helped.  

Marcia

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I have waited until I authorize final payment for a cruise, then redeem points to pay off at least part of the charge to my card. I have never waited until I had enough points to pay for the full cruise, though. It's always been a partial payment on the bill the next month. 

31 minutes ago, 78232 said:

I called  to redeem my points as soon as the final cruise payment appeared on my credit card statement.  It did not completely pay for the cruise but it sure helped.  

Thank you -- this is useful to know. 

For the Barclay's HAL card, the best value is for a cruise that costs $4,001 or more.....At that amount, the redemption rate is 2.5%....Example, spend $200,000 on the card and can redeem for $5,000 for a cruise.

Because the redemption rate (even at the highest tier) is lower than another card we have with cash rewards, we now only use the HAL card for HAL purchases because the amount you earn on HAL purchases is 2 points per $1 spent. At that earnings rate and the redemption rate of 2.5%, that's worth it.  

(I hope the Barclay and HAL folks read this because the card is not as competitive as it once was, in our experience and opinion)

20 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

For the Barclay's HAL card, the best value is for a cruise that costs $4,001 or more.....At that amount, the redemption rate is 2.5%....Example, spend $200,000 on the card and can redeem for $5,000 for a cruise.

Because the redemption rate (even at the highest tier) is lower than another card we have with cash rewards, we now only use the HAL card for HAL purchases because the amount you earn on HAL purchases is 2 points per $1 spent. At that earnings rate and the redemption rate of 2.5%, that's worth it.  

(I hope the Barclay and HAL folks read this because the card is not as competitive as it once was, in our experience and opinion)

Yes -- after this cruise I'm not sure I'll continue to keep the Barclay card. 

9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

So if you earn double points for HAL purchases and then get 2.5% value when you redeem, does that mean that you've effectively gotten 5% for those purchases? Because if that's not the case, you can do better with other cards. The Costco Visa rebates 3% on travel expenses.

Also, if you redeem your points towards HAL charges, do you get points for those purchases or not? If you don't, then that's another strike against using the card since you can just cash out the Costco card (or other card with similar rebates) and still get the 3% back on the HAL cruise.

I am not familiar with how the card used to work (or how it currently works, as I guess is obvious) so maybe previously it was a better deal than other cards. I know that when people post about the Royal Caribbean card (from Bank of America), many of us try to tell the people who have the card what a bad deal it is but it's rare for anyone to actually admit that we are correct. The HAL card at least sounds somewhat better than the Royal card.

people never

7 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

So if you earn double points for HAL purchases and then get 2.5% value when you redeem, does that mean that you've effectively gotten 5% for those purchases? Because if that's not the case, you can do better with other cards. The Costco Visa rebates 3% on travel expenses.

Also, if you redeem your points towards HAL charges, do you get points for those purchases or not? If you don't, then that's another strike against using the card since you can just cash out the Costco card (or other card with similar rebates) and still get the 3% back on the HAL cruise.

I am not familiar with how the card used to work (or how it currently works, as I guess is obvious) so maybe previously it was a better deal than other cards. I know that when people post about the Royal Caribbean card (from Bank of America), many of us try to tell the people who have the card what a bad deal it is but it's rare for anyone to actually admit that we are correct. The HAL card at least sounds somewhat better than the Royal card.

people never

Hey Mr. Bill:

Yep, I consider it a 5% rate of redemption if I redeem based on earning points from HAL purchases.  Which beats my BofA card. But for non HAL purchases, it's not worth it at a 2.5% redemption rate.

Yes, you do earn points for the HAL purchases that you may eventually redeem.  So that's good.

Also, there is no annual fee so this card makes for a good "back up card". 

Again, my strategy is to use the card only for HAL purchases.  Other cards have higher redemption values for everyday purchases.  

It get's complicated and confusing rather quickly and to each his own.......I'm open to other much smarter math types who can check my logic...or lack of logic! HA!

Edited by FlaMariner
typo

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Again, my strategy is to use the card only for HAL purchases.  Other cards have higher redemption values for everyday purchases.  

Mine, too, for the same reason, with the exception of using it when there would be a foreign exchange fee involved. There is no such thing with the HAL card, and there is with my other credit card.
For HAL purchases, it's great! 

18 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

It's interesting that the HAL card pays 2.5% and Princess only rewards me at 2.0%.

That is interesting.....for full disclosure, the 2.5% is for cruises of $4,001 or more....the redemption rate table from the HAL/Barclays site:

$50 to $499.99 = 1%
 $500-$1,499.99 = 1.25%
 $1,500-$2,000.99 = 1.50%
 $2,001-$4,000.99 = 2%
 $4,001+ = 2.50%

4 years ago I was able to take $3000 off the price of my Alaska cruise.  It was simple.  But then the program changed/ website was "updated" and they made the whole process too complicated.  I've had to fight with them to redeem exactly what the rules said at the time.  So I finally got rid of the card.  I now have Barclays Travel card and earn 2% on everything and get to redeem it on any travel purchases.

• Like 1

It does seem too complicated now.  When I tried to get a live person via their "customer service" phone number to ask a few questions (before I posted here), I was unsuccessful.  You just get a recording instructing you to look at the options online unless you want to book travel (cruise, flights, hotels).  Life is busy enough without having to decipher major redemption change rules and getting the run around when you want to speak with a live person.

I used to use my points for OBC, and after the card redemption changes, I received statement credit when I requested OBC with a phone agent.  So then I just started redeeming for statement credit to keep things simple but wondered if there was a better way to use points.  It has been a couple of years since I tried to redeem points so wondered what the current best strategies are to make the most of points. Thanks again for all the helpful responses here.  (Ruth C - Many thanks for your quick response and for all of your helpful replies to this and many other queries on this forum.)

Not sure if this will help or not, here is my take on the redemption values for the Barclaycard Holland America Card.

5000 thru 49999 points        = $50 thru $499.99 statement credit (points x 0.01)

40000 thru 119999 points    = $500 thru $1499.99 statement credit (points x 0.0125)

100000 thru 133399 points  = $1500 thru $2000.99 statement credit (points x 0.015)

100050 thru 200049 points  = $2001 thru $4000.99 statement credit (points x 0.02)

160040 and up.                      = $4001 and up (points x 0.025)

So, pretty much, you want to save up your points so they are worth more in dollar value. Best case, wait till you have over 160,040 points then you get $4001 statement credit. If you used 40,000 points on 4 trips to get $500 in credit each time instead of waiting till you have 160,040 points to get $4001 you’re missing out on that potential extra $2,000. Having said that, if it takes years to save up 40,000 points, maybe $500 off your cruise is a good deal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sinigord said:

Not sure if this will help or not, here is my take on the redemption values for the Barclaycard Holland America Card.

5000 thru 49999 points        = $50 thru $499.99 statement credit (points x 0.01)

40000 thru 119999 points    = $500 thru $1499.99 statement credit (points x 0.0125)

100000 thru 133399 points  = $1500 thru $2000.99 statement credit (points x 0.015)

100050 thru 200049 points  = $2001 thru $4000.99 statement credit (points x 0.02)

160040 and up.                      = $4001 and up (points x 0.025)

So, pretty much, you want to save up your points so they are worth more in dollar value. Best case, wait till you have over 160,040 points then you get $4001 statement credit. If you used 40,000 points on 4 trips to get $500 in credit each time instead of waiting till you have 160,040 points to get $4001 you’re missing out on that potential extra $2,000. Having said that, if it takes years to save up 40,000 points, maybe $500 off your cruise is a good deal.

the downfall here is that by the time you get up to those higher amounts - the process to redeem if not the value will have changed and you've worked so hard to not get what you expected.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, lastlook said:

It does seem too complicated now.  When I tried to get a live person via their "customer service" phone number to ask a few questions (before I posted here), I was unsuccessful.  You just get a recording instructing you to look at the options online unless you want to book travel (cruise, flights, hotels).  Life is busy enough without having to decipher major redemption change rules and getting the run around when you want to speak with a live person.

I used to use my points for OBC, and after the card redemption changes, I received statement credit when I requested OBC with a phone agent.  So then I just started redeeming for statement credit to keep things simple but wondered if there was a better way to use points.  It has been a couple of years since I tried to redeem points so wondered what the current best strategies are to make the most of points. Thanks again for all the helpful responses here.  (Ruth C - Many thanks for your quick response and for all of your helpful replies to this and many other queries on this forum.)

The best value towards the end for me was using points for Pinnacle dinners.  2500 points for $39 dinner. (points x .0156)

48 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do the points "expire"?

Not that I know of. I have been using this card only sporadically for at least 5 or 6 years -- I use it for HAL purchases but also for certain things like internet purchases where I don't want to put one of my two "main" cards at risk. The points do add up and I did not redeem any until now but in that period none expired.  Nor has the redemption value changed much, if at all. (The calculation is a bit difficult to understand initially, but this card always provided a higher redeem rate for HAL purchases on a sliding scale.

I am thrilled to bits that my upcoming 14-night Japan cruise fare is going to end up costing me about $275. Now that's a win.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A downside when redeeming points for a Pinnacle dinner, for those that are 3 star and above, the redemption amount doesn’t change to take into account the person’s Mariner status. The 25% or 50% discount doesn’t apply when using points to pay for Pinnacle dinners. A bit shady in my book.

Another relatively recent change, the Mariner discount only applies to the first two people in the cabin. Recently, on our Eurodam cruise, we asked a traveling companion to join us for dinner in Tamarind as our guest. We were all 3 star at the time. When it came time to pay the bill I presented my card at which point our waitress said that we’d only get the discount for two of us. Made for an awkward moment and eroded some of my goodwill towards Holland.  Penny wise, pound foolish.

The best rate 2.5% is if you pay off a bill over $4000 regardless of whether you have 10000 or 500000 points

So if your bill is over $4000 pay it or some of it with whatever amount of points you have. The Barclay site has an easy to use calculator.

Agree with poster above to pay bill initially to get double points. Then get credit anytime within 6 months using points.

Edited by ATC