Disembarking in Dublin?

Mr. Click

I asked this on the ports of call board and got little response so I am putting it here now.  We are in the Reflection in May in and out of Dublin.  On our return we arrive the day before we disembark and want to be able to catch an earlier flight home. Since we are docking the day before and should already be cleared for customs and immigration how early can we walk off the ship?  I know Dublin is a commercial port so there is a shuttle bus to get out of the port.  How early does the shuttle start running>  Hoping someone here has some first hand experience on this.

We were on the Eclipse in May 2018 round trip Dublin. Our overnight was at the beginning of the sailing.

You should be able to walk off the ship fairly early. Yes, Dublin is an industrial port and I would not count on Celebrity shuttles. It would be essential for you to pre-book transporation to the airport, either taxi or private car service.

If you are looking for cheap, book a taxi. If you wish to end your cruise in style, use Limos for Less. We used this company for multiple transfers and were super impressed. They were on time and efficient. https://www.lflcs.com/

Regarding flights, please note you will need to clear US Customs in Dublin ... one of the few international airports with CBP Pre-Clearance.

Thanks DogLover.  The only shuttle I am thinking about is the one from the dock to the front of the port. Since it is a working commercial port they don't want you just walking out. We normally use Airport Taxis Transfters. THey have been our go to all over Europe in the past.  I am aware of US CBP pre-clearance and between airline FF status, TSA-Pre and Global Entry it should not be a problem.  

It is easy to clear customs at European ports without noticing as there is generally no interaction, unless they want to have a chat with you... 🙂

In any event, I would guess that opting for the self-debarking choice and just wheeling your own luggage off the ship is going to be the quickest route, just have to check when the ship is ready to process departures...

Edited by Mark_T

7 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Was the taxi able to come right to the ship or did you have to meet them at the front of the port?

Yes, the taxi came to the ship.  This was one of the first dates Celebrity sailed out/in to Dublin, so it took a little longer for the taxi drivers and port personnel to get "into their routine".  Should be OK now.

We took a taxi to the ship from our hotel in Dublin in 2018. The taxi was able to go into the port to the ship. I know this is the reverse of what you are doing, but it shows that the taxi was able to go all the way into the port to the ship. The taxi was very tiny, and we had luggage in the trunk and in the car. You might be able to get a larger vehicle if you pre-book. Safe and happy sails to you!

20 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I asked this on the ports of call board and got little response so I am putting it here now.  We are in the Reflection in May in and out of Dublin.  On our return we arrive the day before we disembark and want to be able to catch an earlier flight home. Since we are docking the day before and should already be cleared for customs and immigration how early can we walk off the ship?  I know Dublin is a commercial port so there is a shuttle bus to get out of the port.  How early does the shuttle start running>  Hoping someone here has some first hand experience on this.

In June 2019 we sailed round trip out of Dublin. We arrived at the reception terminal by the Irish version of Uber - they renamed themselves sometime this past fall, I believe the name is "Free now".  We spent several days in Dublin both pre and post cruise and found this service fantastic - however, we were warned by our hotel and we experienced the fact that if it was a "short" trip no driver would pick it up.

The shuttle bus I believe you are referring to, is the one that takes you from the reception centre to the ship.  There may also be one on the first day of your overnight stay which will take you from the ship in to the city centre. I am not aware of a shuttle which will take you from the ship to get you out of the port - but I wasn't looking for one.

As we were remaining in Dublin we were in no hurry to disembark, and we were very late in doing so...9:30 or so. We did not pre-book a car, or try for an "Uber" we just joined the taxi queue. Unlike other ports, there was not an abundance of taxi's and often the line halted due to no taxis as we waited for more to arrive.  The driver who took us to our hotel indicated we were the sixth pick up he had made that morning at the ship.

As others have recommended, if you need a car at a specific time it is probably best to pre-arrange the service.  All taxis/vehicle coming in to pick up departing passengers will come directly to the ship. The reception centre is set up to receive the incoming passengers.

As previously mentioned if you are flying directly to the US, you will clear US Customs and Immigration at Dublin airport. In our experience, Dublin was not the most efficiently operating airport, so allow yourself sufficient time to complete the process.

You are correct, the immigration process was completed upon arrival in Dublin the first day of the overnight.  You will be free to come and go once the ship is cleared.  We met some people on one of our tours who were leaving "early" the last morning.  They advised guest relation early in the cruise of their intentions, and they were provided with instructions to follow.  Of course they did walk off carrying their luggage.

We sailed round trip Dublin in June on Reflection.  We pre-booked with Leinster Taxi for airport pick up and tour. Then again on disembarkation to airport. Totally reliable and professional. Highly recommend. Ask for Stephen.  Very reasonable as well.  You won’t be disappointed