Tipping

8 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Interesting, but you're missing one crucial bit of info: average standard of living.  In other words, is the standard of living of someone with the median income in Italy comparable to someone with the median income in the Philippines?

I would guess (no data here) there answer is no.  So, what level of income in the Philipines would result in a identical standard of living of someone making $150k in Italy?  That's the question we would need answered.

My position was that staff can live larger in their home country than the Captain does in his home country.  

It becomes judgmental to compare the standard of living between two countries.  Who is it to say that one country's standard of living is better than another.  For instance, you can get a domestic worker ( house staff/maid ) for $2.25 a day in the Philippines.  So if a maid is important to someone, then they would say this is a higher standard of living than that of the same affordability in Italy.  But this is a judgement call because folks may think having a maid does not indicate a higher standard of living or is not necessary.   

Well, although it wasn't explicitly answered, it seems that yes, you can still remove the automatic gratuity at Customer Service after you get your printout. I wonder if you could do that the evening before they print & distribute the portfolio's. But it also sounds like you can't remove the gratuities added to individual drinks.

4 hours ago, QuiGonJohn said:

Well, although it wasn't explicitly answered, it seems that yes, you can still remove the automatic gratuity at Customer Service after you get your printout. I wonder if you could do that the evening before they print & distribute the portfolio's. But it also sounds like you can't remove the gratuities added to individual drinks.

If they allowed people to cancel gratuities on drink - that would blow this whole site up. People would lose their minds!!

That said - you cannot remove them!

You can remove the daily gratuities - not sure why you would wait until after the final bill came unless you don't want the wife to see it🤑

17 minutes ago, QuiGonJohn said:

On the daily gratuities, I read on Carnival's website, they are applied on the second to last day. So if I do decide to remove them, I will probably do it in the evening, last night on the cruise.

Thanks for letting us know your plans.  

2 hours ago, QuiGonJohn said:

On the daily gratuities, I read on Carnival's website, they are applied on the second to last day. So if I do decide to remove them, I will probably do it in the evening, last night on the cruise.

That’s usually when people remove them... you know, after they gave a cash tip to those who made their experience special 😉 

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

That’s usually when people remove them... you know, after they gave a cash tip to those who made their experience special 😉 

Lol, have you read that here before.  

On 12/30/2019 at 9:06 PM, rainbowflag said:

article-1180762-04E7BAB2000005DC-400_468

This was photographed during a Behind the Fun tour by a guest in 2009. The memo was posted to a galley bulletin board. The crew are kept informed by management, it is their livelihood after all.

Miss Fred.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, beshears said:

I don't have time to read your replies, and more than likely someone, or more than one have already answered your question.  As I'm sure they told you, there is a tip added for each day of the cruise on your bill.  I go to the Pursers, or Guest area, and get the tipping envelopes.  I then tip at the "end" of the cruise who I want to tip, with CASH!  This is not mandatory, but it is what I like to do. 🙂

So you miss a lot of workers you are oblivious to. Cheap. Just do auto, it's easier and more legit.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:41 PM, Elaine5715 said:

When you enter the dining room for breakfast/brunch/lunch or ATD, you give your cabin number.  And yes, they know who has prepaid and who goes to GS and has them removed.  All three of the dining room team share those grats.

Hello,

I am Platinum cruiser, who for the last 8 + cruises, have not used my credit cards on board, and have set up a cash account. Ship grats are not added till the 2nd to last day, after 1 pm, for all guests who have not yet payed them, (which I gladly do!)  crew is not prevy to your Financial booking info at the MDR desk....I have asked this, and other questions to different Carnival employees in conversations, through the years. personally I don't care.. have always had a great time w the crew... have gotten to know some very well now 🙂

just wish we could get back to cruise'n.....can I get an Amen....

1 hour ago, CLS/KAS said:

Hello,

I am Platinum cruiser, who for the last 8 + cruises, have not used my credit cards on board, and have set up a cash account. Ship grats are not added till the 2nd to last day, after 1 pm, for all guests who have not yet payed them, (which I gladly do!)  crew is not prevy to your Financial booking info at the MDR desk....I have asked this, and other questions to different Carnival employees in conversations, through the years. personally I don't care.. have always had a great time w the crew... have gotten to know some very well now 🙂

just wish we could get back to cruise'n.....can I get an Amen....

The dining room crew live, eat, drink and sleep with the Guest Services staff.  The Maitre also is informed on ho pulled grats.  The information is not confidential. Carnival crew also have a set response to guest questions since they want to avoid confrontation and guests assume everything about them is confidential.  Like any other customer service business, you can bet the crew shares stories about good guests and warns about PITA guests.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The dining room crew live, eat, drink and sleep with the Guest Services staff.  The Maitre also is informed on ho pulled grats.  The information is not confidential. Carnival crew also have a set response to guest questions since they want to avoid confrontation and guests assume everything about them is confidential.  Like any other customer service business, you can bet the crew shares stories about good guests and warns about PITA guests.  

Some may also keep a notebook on who, when and how much.

1 hour ago, crusinpsychRN said:

Why are some people so cheap?  They don't tip on excursions either.  I hate that but I also hate guides begging for tips.

It gets worse.  On a St Peterburg cruise, the tour guide had been given tips in the form of £1.00 coins, after they became illegal tender, being discontinued.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Well... Let's do the math ( I like doing the math )...

Captains on the largest ships, responsible for 5,000 or more passengers and crew members, can have a salary in excess of $150,000.

Total compensation for an assistant waiter position ranges anywhere from $900 to as much as $2,200 a month; experienced dining room waiters can earn upward of $3,200.

Total compensation for bartenders can range anywhere from $1,800 to $2,500, while bar wait staff earn between $1,200 and $2,200 a month.

Source:    https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Philippine's median household income    $  2,401

Italy's           median household income    $20,085

Source:    http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/median-income-by-country/

So... doing the math, an Italian Captain making $150,000 a year earns 7.5 times Italy's median household household income of $20,085 while an experienced Pilipino dining room waiter making $38,400 earns 16 times Philippine's median household  income of $2,401.

So the Pilipino worker's money goes more than twice as far in their country as the Italian captain's money does in his.

You obviously spent a lot of time gathering this info.  The answer is, it makes zero difference.  

• Like 1