fast heartbeat

hives

itching

puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue

shortness of breath

skin rash

tightness in the chest

unusual tiredness or weakness

We've use Bonine in the past.  None of us (5 people) have ever had any of those side effects.

You really should put all the information out there, and not make it sound like that's what everyone will get:

Bonine Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity

COMMON side effects

If experienced, these tend to have a Less Severe expression

• Drowsiness

INFREQUENT side effects

• Dry Mouth
  • Dryness Of The Nose
  • Head Pain
  • Low Energy
  • Throat Dryness

RARE side effects

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression

• A Significant Type Of Allergic Reaction Called Anaphylaxis

• Blurred Vision
  • Vomiting

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

What exactly is your point? These are possible, not a certainty. Anyone taking a medication for the first time, and after getting the go ahead from their health care provider or pharmacist, would surely try it at home before relying on it at sea.

Anything can cause an adverse reaction. Ginger is much touted as a miracle cure for motion sickness. All natural! Not a drug! Harmless! Oh yeah?

Side effects of ginger include:

increased bleeding tendency.

abdominal discomfort.

cardiac arrhythmias (if overdosed)

central nervous system depression (if overdosed)

dermatitis (with topical use)

diarrhea.

heartburn.

mouth or throat irritation.

So I ask again, what's your point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We've use Bonine in the past.  None of us (5 people) have ever had any of those side effects.

You really should put all the information out there, and not make it sound like that's what everyone will get:

Bonine Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity

COMMON side effects

• Drowsiness

INFREQUENT side effects

• Dry Mouth
  • Dryness Of The Nose
  • Head Pain
  • Low Energy
  • Throat Dryness

RARE side effects

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression

• A Significant Type Of Allergic Reaction Called Anaphylaxis

• Blurred Vision
  • Vomiting

Congratulations on your success with the product!

What is "all the information I need to "put out there"

I only quoted my source of information about the side effects.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I was stating that everyone would incur all the side effects?

I offered  absolutely no statements and no opinions here.

May I suggest you read comments more carefully and not make inferences or jump to conclusions on statements that are not made by me.  It almost sounds like you are  trying to argue when you don't understand that I have only offered a quote from a medical source.  Take up your argument with the source and don't try to pick a fight with me. I have nothing to defend.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

What exactly is your point? These are possible, not a certainty. Anyone taking a medication for the first time, and after getting the go ahead from their health care provider or pharmacist, would surely try it at home before relying on it at sea.

Anything can cause an adverse reaction. Ginger is much touted as a miracle cure for motion sickness. All natural! Not a drug! Harmless! Oh yeah?

Side effects of ginger include:

increased bleeding tendency.

abdominal discomfort.

cardiac arrhythmias (if overdosed)

central nervous system depression (if overdosed)

dermatitis (with topical use)

diarrhea.

heartburn.

mouth or throat irritation.

So I ask again, what's your point?

My point is that it worked for me.  In addition, I use common sense:  I don't overdose and I don't use it for topical use.  If it's not for you (for whatever reason) don't use it.

Thank you all again for the suggestions.

Didnt realize it would result in spirited/heated discussion:)

My intent in asking the question was to see specifically of the group that uses/used the Dr prescribed patches, what else they’ve used and has worked for them so I could review them.

Neither I nor any reasonable person would come here for medical opinion from Doctors.

And finally, question isn’t does Dramamine or other alternatives have side effects. Are they as bad as the patch (it causes blurred vision and dry mouth every single time for me)? And its the dry mouth im trying to avoid.

I can't tolerate the scopolamine patch at all. I get hallucinations when on it, and am so happy I took the pharmacist's advice to try it at home before my trip.

I don't notice any side effects from bonine (meclazine).  Dramamine does make me very sleepy, but I'd rather sleep than be sea sick if it comes down to that.  The sea bands only have the side effect of looking kind of dorky - but plenty of other passengers use them so it isn't a big deal.  

12 hours ago, 1980dory said:

What is "all the information I need to "put out there"

I only quoted my source of information about the side effects.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I was stating that everyone would incur all the side effects?

I offered  absolutely no statements and no opinions here.

By simply responding with what side effects happen with no specification as to whether they are common, occasional, or rare makes it sound like everyone will get these side effects. 

9 hours ago, sheerfun said:

My intent in asking the question was to see specifically of the group that uses/used the Dr prescribed patches, what else they’ve used and has worked for them so I could review them.

My husband used the patch when we started cruising because he has/had a history of motion sickness.  It was extremely helpful for him, at first.  He did get the dry mouth thing, but no other effects.  Once we got a few cruises under our belts, he found he was getting more effects (dry mouth, dizziness, some disorientation).  He switched to using Bonine and the wrist bands.  Now (several more cruises later) he only uses either of those on really rocky days.

9 hours ago, sheerfun said:

And finally, question isn’t does Dramamine or other alternatives have side effects. Are they as bad as the patch (it causes blurred vision and dry mouth every single time for me)? And its the dry mouth im trying to avoid.

All medications have side effects.  Whether you (or anyone) gets any or none of them depends on the individual.  Dramamine's major side effect is drowsiness.  Bonine, not so much.  

Edited by Shmoo here

I read about meclizine before my cruise in 1984, but it was prescription only, and I didn’t want to make a trip to the doctor just for that. 

I have been prone to motion sickness my entire life. I’ve become violently ill on ferries, amusement park rides, taxi cabs and even a glassbottom boat. 

I chewed ginger before and during that cruise. 

It was a miserable five days of nausea and wanting to die. 

When we decided to go to Disney World, I asked my doctor about meclizine. He heartily recommended it, as none of his patients reported any but the mildest side effects. 

He wrote the prescription, I filled it, and had a great time at Disney World. 

Took it on a trip to the mountains, which usually made me too nauseated to enjoy riding on winding roads. No problem. 

Decided to try another cruise in 1985, took meclizine....no nausea, no side effects!

The FDA approved meclizine under the brand name Bonine as an over the counter medication. 

I keep some in my purse in case I get stuck riding instead of driving, or got on an impromptu boat ride. It’s wonderful!

I’ve taken close to 60 cruises since that awful please let me die one. Bonine makes all the difference. 

I take one the morning I’m going to sail and one around 4pm. That covers me the first day, and on the larger ships, I seldom need another, unless we’re in rough water. 

Leaving Cozumel can get rock and rolly!

As far as sleepiness, I get sleepy on cruises anyway, and see no difference between when I’ve chewed a Bonine and when I haven’t. 

You could check with your doctor’s nurse if you don’t want to make an appointment. She would probably know your doctor’s feelings about Bonine. 

Ah so you don’t take Bonine every night?

on a side note: we’ve normally picked mid ship low floor. This time we picked top floor front of the ship just to try something else new. Ship is sky princess and route is to CA from NY. How bad are the waters? Do I need to reconsider?

45 minutes ago, sheerfun said:

Ah so you don’t take Bonine every night?

on a side note: we’ve normally picked mid ship low floor. This time we picked top floor front of the ship just to try something else new. Ship is sky princess and route is to CA from NY. How bad are the waters? Do I need to reconsider?

The "typical" dosage is one per day.  But you could do 2, if you need to.  It depends on how badly you need it.

IMO, the front of the ship is more prone to up and down motion, so you could have a problem.  

One thing I wanted to ask is if you’re sure you actually GET sea sick?  Or do you just assume so and drug up?  I only ask because I get extreme motion sickness in a car.  I can’t ride in the back seat unless I have a direct view out the front.  I can’t tolerate the sudden stops and starts and FORGET about asking me to look at the map while in motion.  I’ll throw up every time.  And I can’t even WATCH amusement rides that go in circles.

But I grew up with my grandparents taking me fishing so it never occurred to me that I’d get sea sick.  And I don’t.  I’ve probably done around 10 cruises also and have never once had to take anything for sea sickness.

A girlfriend, however, has a stomach of iron on rides, cars, or any other mode of transportation.  But she simple can’t cruise because the sea sickness is so bad.  So just asking.