Motion sickness question

sheerfun

I get motion sickness from time to time. Never on trains or flights, but mainly in stop n go traffic in cabs.

Been on 10 cruises. Always wear the scopolamine patches and its helped. But the side effects are bad. It causes blurry vision which is ok. But its the dry mouth /sore throat thats a killer.

Any suggestions from something tried and true?

A. Any good dry mouth cure while on patches? Like biotene gel

B. Heard about injections. Do they help?

Can’t take the risk and wait and take dramamine or ginger after I’m affected.

thanks

Edited by sheerfun

My DH had the same problems with the patches, plus double vision, so he had to stop using them. Now he takes the non-drowsy Dramamine preemptively before we even get on the ship and doesn't stop taking it until the end of the cruise. This has worked really well for him. He does the same thing when we are going to be on trains.

K. Not sure why you would wait until you are affected to take Dramamine. It’s a preventative like the patch. I have used the patch and bonine (non drowsy dramamine). I prefer bonine to the patch because I get bad dry mouth on the patch. Bonine twice a day starting before you board works great for me.

I use the patch and have for awhile. I only use half and it works for me. Also, pay attention to the way you are sitting. I have found sitting facing towards the bow or stern, or facing to the side of the ship can make a difference. Especially in rough waters.

If I do feel a little queasy from sitting inside, I go out on to the deck outside or my balcony for a awhile and I feel better.

With all the meds and tricks, take them before getting on board.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps, sea bands, I have found they work well. 

Seabands do work well.

Also, why do you insist on taking medications with their inherent side effects? There are many other non drug alternatives I have taken and they are effective.

A little pickled ginger works well.  Also try ginger capsules you can buy very economically at Wally World.

Try eating a green apple which you can usually get in the dining room if you ask politely.  Or ask for some pickled ginger.

I've even eaten a large, green dill pickle that worked instantly.

I'm not a health food nut, but why would anyone take drugs when there are better non drug alternatives that usually will not cause adverse side effects?

Weren't the patches taken off the market for a while?  I seem to remember that but don't remember why.

My husband has problems with being seasick and Bonine works well for him.  But it does make him drowsy.

I agree that these things are preventatives and not cures after you are already sick.

2 hours ago, sheerfun said:

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions:

1. Dramamine

2. Seaband

3. Also saw on another thread about natural mq patches.

Looks like nothing to lose by trying all 3.

On my last cruise two weeks ago I bought every chewable ginger product in the Trader Joe’s on Central Ave.in Hartsdale.I chewed the ginger plus I used wrist bands.I was fine even though the seas were quite rough.

2 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Weren't the patches taken off the market for a while?  I seem to remember that but don't remember why.

My husband has problems with being seasick and Bonine works well for him.  But it does make him drowsy.

I agree that these things are preventatives and not cures after you are already sick.

They were't taken off the market, exactly.  They couldn't produce them fast enough.  I believe the supply may still be somewhat limited.  

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

First suggestion would be to see a medical professional, not a bunch of people who you know NOTHING  about.  Come on!

This occurs all the time on this forum.  People who are not medically trained telling others what medication to use for seasickness without knowing what other medications the person is taking and what reaction if any there may be. Unbelievable.

14 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

This occurs all the time on this forum.  People who are not medically trained telling others what medication to use for seasickness without knowing what other medications the person is taking and what reaction if any there may be. Unbelievable.

Is it not possible that medically trained people take cruises and post on cruise message boards ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Of course there are many, many threads on this subject. Too bad people can't get the search function to work for them. However, on these threads, I've generally found that the majority of posters are simply telling the OP what worked well (or not) for them. It is up to the OP, as a responsible adult, to exercise their own best judgement.

As a retired health professional I have recommended  certain motion sickness remedies, but with the priviso that they check with their own health practitioner or pharmacist if trying a medication.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Is it not possible that medically trained people take cruises and post on cruise message boards ?

Certainly possible, but with so many responses throughout the years, do you really think that most of the people responding are medically trained? I am confident that the Doctors I know would not recommend any medication without seeing the patient.

Edited by Husky61
Add information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Of course there are many, many threads on this subject. Too bad people can't get the search function to work for them. However, on these threads, I've generally found that the majority of posters are simply telling the OP what worked well (or not) for them. It is up to the OP, as a responsible adult, to exercise their own best judgement.

As a retired health professional I have recommended  certain motion sickness remedies, but with the priviso that they check with their own health practitioner or pharmacist if trying a medication.

I agree with you totally.

Sea bands work really well for me. On the off chance that the seas are very rough, I'll take Bonine as well.  The key to any of the treatments is to use them before the nausea hits. I know I need bonine when I get the first hit of vertigo - I don't wait for the nausea to catch up.

2 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Sea bands work really well for me. On the off chance that the seas are very rough, I'll take Bonine as well.  The key to any of the treatments is to use them before the nausea hits. I know I need bonine when I get the first hit of vertigo - I don't wait for the nausea to catch up.

I suffer from Post Traumatic Vertigo and have to deal with that every day.