dining time question on port days

Our cruise itinerary for June shows that will will be in ports from 8:00 - 6:00  (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan). If we have the early dinner seating, do they keep it at 5:30 or do they push it back at all on port days? I realize that I could always do Windjammer or MTD, but I was thinking about changing from 6:45 MTD to the 5:30 main seating, until I realized how rushed I might be on 3 of the 7 nights. 

One of the reasons I like the scheduled dining times is that it feels special with the same waiters knowing our preferences. Ive never done MTD and am a little concerned that it will just feel like a regular restaurant, and I'm afraid 8:00 time might be too late for us.

Any thoughts or help on this?

3 minutes ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Our cruise itinerary for June shows that will will be in ports from 8:00 - 6:00  (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan). If we have the early dinner seating, do they keep it at 5:30 or do they push it back at all on port days? I realize that I could always do Windjammer or MTD, but I was thinking about changing from 6:45 MTD to the 5:30 main seating, until I realized how rushed I might be on 3 of the 7 nights. 

One of the reasons I like the scheduled dining times is that it feels special with the same waiters knowing our preferences. Ive never done MTD and am a little concerned that it will just feel like a regular restaurant, and I'm afraid 8:00 time might be too late for us.

Any thoughts or help on this?

Dining times will remain the same. 

We have done MTD for years, on many different ships and never had a problem requesting the same waitstaff, if we have liked them.

Advantage is you can ask to move if you didn’t like them!

For a 6 pm sailing one needs to be back on board by 5:30 pm. We usually don't get back that close to the back on board time. You could also show up a little later, like 5:45, to the early dining. We've done this with the wait staff's approval when we've informed them of a tight schedule on a port visit. Their preference is for you to come to the MDR so they can serve you.

Also with MTD if one has a nice table with a good waiters it is usually easy to reserve it for the whole cruise and the time could be varied somewhat for port visit. 

Edited by robtulipe

On 1/5/2020 at 4:12 PM, robtulipe said:

For a 6 pm sailing one needs to be back on board by 5:30 pm. We usually don't get back that close to the back on board time. You could also show up a little later, like 5:45, to the early dining. We've done this with the wait staff's approval when we've informed them of a tight schedule on a port visit. Their preference is for you to come to the MDR so they can serve you.

Also with MTD if one has a nice table with a good waiters it is usually easy to reserve it for the whole cruise and the time could be varied somewhat for port visit. 

To be honest, if you have 5:30 dining, you should arrive as close as possible to 5:30 to be courteous to your fellow passengers.  Arriving late can throw off the arrival of food for all the other diners at the waiter’s tables.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SRF said:

FYI, AFAIK if you have a dining time, you cannot opt for MTD on any day it would be more convenient for you.

Correct.  You cannot switch between fixed seating and MTD   So any time you’ll miss your assigned time, you will need to do Buffet, Specialty or room service.  

and more than 10-15 minutes past is missing it.  

20 minutes ago, spookwife said:

Correct.  You cannot switch between fixed seating and MTD   So any time you’ll miss your assigned time, you will need to do Buffet, Specialty or room service.  

and more than 10-15 minutes past is missing it.  

For most people.  Then there are those that think showing up 30  minutes or more late doesn't apply to them ...

On 1/7/2020 at 9:49 AM, sellwingri said:

To be honest, if you have 5:30 dining, you should arrive as close as possible to 5:30 to be courteous to your fellow passengers.  Arriving late can throw off the arrival of food for all the other diners at the waiter’s tables.  

We have been told by our waiters quite a few times that our dining group can be up to a 1/2 hour late to traditional early dining with out causing them a problem when we informed them that we wouldn't be eating in the MDR one evening because of a schedule conflict.

Like I mentioned the waiters prefer you to eat in the MDR so they can serve you. Typically we only do this if all at our table is doing so. I am only suggesting that one discuss this with their wait staff if such a situation arises. 

Edited by robtulipe