Things to do for 13 and 16 year old

My sister is thinking of taking her 2 daughters on serenade of the seas to alaska. I see there is sushi maki ng and cupcake decorating but would there be anything else for them to do onboard? Is adventure ocean younger? It is unfortunate fitness is over 18. (I am the researcher in the family.)

My older niece stopped going to kids club for a few years in her early teens but last year when she was 16 she spent ALL her time in the teens club or out and about on the ship on the sports deck or just hanging round with kids she met. She loved the extra bit of freedom.

Also, pretty sure they can get some teen treatments in the spa to help fill some time and get some mother/daughter time there too if they're into that.

I've no doubt they'd prefer a bigger ship for amenities but look at all the trips they can do too.

Thanks for the replies. I see them glued to their device, and wondered what they would do. However i know they would even enjoy the pool and games like table tennis if they have that as well. 

Edited by christinand

37 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thanks for the replies. I see them glued to their device, and wondered what they would do. However i know they would even enjoy the pool and games like table tennis if they have that as well. 

Keep in mind it's Alaska.  It'll likely be fairly cool to cold depending on time of year.  So the pool may be a "no go."  Serenade is a beautiful ship.. It'll have a rock climbing wall, mini golf, sports court, teen club, and video arcade.  I think the Solarium Pool (enclosed pool) is for adults only. They also have a movie screen at the main pool. There is also a pool table in the club aft on deck 6 (I think).  

I just wanted to echo your sentiments about the gym not being open to the under 16 crowd.  The middle schoolers are all regulars in the gym and it’s a shame they cannot do it on a cruise!! 

The Alaska season is pretty short and there are almost always other teens onboard - send them to the mingle on the first night to get to meet the other teens onboard and make friends - they will be fine even though it’s a smaller ship!!!   

1 hour ago, christinand said:

If glued to their device requires internet access, the are going to be disappointed. Internet service on cruises to Alaska is EXTREMELY slow.

I'll just add that my teens were 13 and 15 our last cruise and they LOVED the sushi making class. The 15 year old did the cupcake class with my 10 year old and it was a complete bust (on Ovation anyway).

My teens really didn't love the teen club. They went the first night for about a hour and a half and never went back. My 13 year old did meet up with a buddy and they hung out a few times. Other than that they hung out with each other and the 13 year old ate his way through the ship while the 15 year old sipped virgin pina coladas.

Thanks for the perspectives. I was mad about the fitness too. They could have had it that a kid had to be accompanied by an adult. At least they have each other. The ship definitely sounds more suitable then the holland america ship i was on. Vancouver sailings are smaller ships so mega ships not an option.