Back from Royal/Mexican Riviera

Bruin Steve

On 1/12/2020 at 2:28 PM, Bruin Steve said:

For us, free...We did it with Hilton points...

You gave us a great idea for dinner  at the Green Onion ,San Pedro .i made a note of it . We are also booked into the Double Tree by Hilton  pre cruise using H Honor points & the free parking  .We are doing a B2B  Mexico & Coastal Ca in  later part of April 

Thanks for all your info on your cruise 

On 1/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, 63 Super Sport said:

Thanks for the wonderful post. We are taking the Mexican Riviera--Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta...October 24 out of Los Angeles (San Pedro).

It has been over 25 years since we have taken a Mexican cruise. Any advise you can give us on tours, things to do, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I highly recommend the "ECO-SAFARI OFF-ROAD ADVENTURE" when you are in Puerto Vallarta. You go on backroads, explore some small villages, and then end the day with a BBQ lunch on a beautiful beach.. My son and I went on that last year, and it was our favorite part of the trip.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:17 PM, Vexorg said:

Just out of curiosity, which nights were the formal nights?  I'm assuming the second night (first sea day before Cabo) and the second-to-last (Sea day after PV) but wanted to make sure.

Yes...Sunday and Thursday--the first two at-sea days...

Crap - you leaked the info on the forward facing balconies on the Royal class ships. The disclaimer that you cannot use the balcony at sea is not enforced, they do not lock them. We've booked them many times, usually they are "deluxe" so they have a couch and a huge balcony. They're awesome.

But - crap, oh, don't book them until after I book one please!!!!

4 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Was the free parking in San Pedro a package or do they just let you leave your car there?  I didn't see anything through my Hilton Honors site about free parking.  

TIA

They have a package deal, like Stay and Cruise or something like that.  You can book it, it costs a little extra, insignificant.  When booking with points it was no longer available (for our last cruise, but we have used points in the past) We didn't want to risk not being allowed to leave the car, so we didn't stay this last cruise. We have done it in the past, and it's great, especially using points!

Edited by jennybenny
typo

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

They have a package deal, like Stay and Cruise or something like that.  You can book it, it costs a little extra, insignificant.  When booking with points it was no longer available (for our cruise) so we didn't want to risk not being allowed to leave the car, so we didn't risk it. We have done it in the past, and it's great. 

Thanks!  I didn't see a park and cruise deal on the website.  Maybe they are sold out for our dates.  

Just now, jp2746 said:

Thanks!  I didn't see a park and cruise deal on the website.  Maybe they are sold out for our dates.  

Yep, they likely sold out.  I had been eyeing it for our cruise and booked it. Then DH said he wanted to drive in the morning, so I cancelled, and then he changed his mind and by the time I tried to rebook (using points) it was sold our for our cruise.  So that happens. 

You could try calling and speaking to someone at the hotel about leaving a car.

Just now, jennybenny said:

Yep, they likely sold out.  I had been eyeing it for our cruise and booked it. Then DH said he wanted to drive in the morning, so I cancelled, and then he changed his mind and by the time I tried to rebook (using points) it was sold our for our cruise.  So that happens. 

You could try calling and speaking to someone at the hotel about leaving a car.

Now that I think about it,  DH would probably want to drive up the day of.  We are surprising our son for his birthday.  We are not going to tell him where we are going, just up to LA for the day. We will have the suitcases and everything hidden in the trunk and just pull up to the ship.  So, after thinking about it a minute, I don't think DH would want to mess up that surprise reaction.  

Thanks for the review.  We were in E108 in October and have it booked for April.  Were in 107 last year.  Best cabins ever.   Lots of motion up there last April.  No motion when we were on in October.   

Edited by 4cats4me

7 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Sometimes on the Hilton website, you have to check the “promotions rate” checkbox on the left hand side of the webpage if you don’t see the park/cruise deal when it shows you the available standard daily hotel rates. 

15 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Was the free parking in San Pedro a package or do they just let you leave your car there?  I didn't see anything through my Hilton Honors site about free parking. 

We called the Hilton 800 number and just asked flat-out...The agent called the hotel while I was on the line and they said parking and shuttles would be included...and the agent wrote it right into my confirmation.  When we checked in, I mentioned leaving the car...and there really wasn't even a discussion about it...I just asked where I should park it during the cruise...and they just told me they'd prefer I park closer to the tennis courts than to the hotel entrance...I said no problem, so, the next morning, I just moved the car about 20 spaces further away.  Also, make sure to sign up for a shuttle time when checking in...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...