Caronavirus - effect on A/NZ cruise market

On 2/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I am particularly interested in the point they make that the crew are in isolation as well as the passengers.

But the crew are not in isolation on Diamond Princess, they are delivering meals, working the galleys etc, etc.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I am particularly interested in the point they make that the crew are in isolation as well as the passengers.

Cruise Ship’s Coronavirus Outbreak Leaves Crew Nowhere to Hide

I don't know if it hasn't been sensationalised but so far it is the only thing we have heard from the crew. Hopefully when the quarantine is over we will get the full story.

If anyone still hasn't got tired of the story another passenger account, this time on Reddit:

I’m a US citizen aboard the Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Yokohama, Japan. AMA!

Edited by ilikeanswers

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In his latest statement, the Vice President of Princess Cruises, said that the crew will receive their normal pay and gratuities and also have paid leave after this event is over. That is good to hear.

That is good, they normally do a 9 or 10 month contract and are unpaid for their couple of months off at home.

• Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

That is good, they normally do a 9 or 10 month contract and are unpaid for their couple of months off at home.

The way I see it - When this is over, Diamond Princess will be moved to another dock and totally cleaned from top to toe. I think it is likely that the crew will be flown home and not have to undertake that task. They will all still be on contract, so their pay will continue. It will be up to Princess how long that is for but it is good that they will get some extra consideration.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, MMDown Under said:

Good idea to listen to your concerns Apple4.  Whilst Maasdam has interesting itineraries of much interest to me, I have not booked a cruise on the ship because of its on-going mechanical issues.  

I suggest you consider flying to Sydney next week, then do a land tour of NZ before returning from Auckland.  

I'm on Maasdam now coming through Sydney heads. Boarded Auckland 3/2. Have had a great cruise with no problems at all.

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'm on Maasdam now coming through Sydney heads. Boarded Auckland 3/2. Have had a great cruise with no problems at all.

That is good to hear.  Welcome Home to water logged East Coast, quite a difference to the bush fires. 

Maasdam has some great itineraries.  Where did you cruise?

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is good to hear.  Welcome Home to water logged East Coast, quite a difference to the bush fires. 

Maasdam has some great itineraries.  Where did you cruise?

The usual NZ east coast and Fiorland. Oban on Stewart Island was a tender port but windy weather and swell prevented anyone going ashore. No problems with Tasman Sea and Bass Straight. Roughest weather was between Oban and Fiordland but nothing too bad to worry anyone unduly. Apparently the NSW government has decided to assess all passengers for corona virus, or whatever they call it now, before we are set free.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The usual NZ east coast and Fiorland. Oban on Stewart Island was a tender port but windy weather and swell prevented anyone going ashore. No problems with Tasman Sea and Bass Straight. Roughest weather was between Oban and Fiordland but nothing too bad to worry anyone unduly. Apparently the NSW government has decided to assess all passengers for corona virus, or whatever they call it now, before we are set free.

Good idea.  One of the passengers from Westerdam has just been diagnosed with the corona virus.

Lucky you missed the ex Cyclone Low.  

This corona case came off the Norwegian Jewel  in Sydney last Friday. We only saw one case at first but then discovered the other one half an hour later, so it does spread quickly.

Both cases  actually had a LIME luggage tag would you believe.

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2