boarding pass for flight

isladonna

On 2/2/2020 at 2:38 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

To each their own. If i book sw the day the bookings open i can save a substantial amount over AA.

The last time I saved by booking on the day that SW bookings open was in 2013, and the savings were substantial. But since then, I’ve checked them out on opening day for several trips I’ve taken and there are minimal savings if any. In several instances, the rates are higher than on other airlines. 

Last time I checked was for our annual trip to SJU for Christmas/New Years 2019-2020 (flying on probably the busiest days of the season, so I knew airfare would be high). Delta nonstop flights 11 months out from ATL were $800 round trip. I was sure that Southwest would beat them once they opened bookings. Nope. Southwest wanted $1,100 per person! 😱. And that was with a connection in Tampa, Orlando, or Ft. Lauderdale. I actually decided to wait a bit longer, and ended booking the Delta nonstops for $580. 

That example reflects what my experience with booking Southwest flights has been for several years now. We haven’t set foot on a Southwest plane literally in 7 years. Almost every time, other airlines are cheaper and/or more convenient. 

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

The last time I saved by booking on the day that SW bookings open was in 2013, and the savings were substantial. But since then, I’ve checked them out on opening day for several trips I’ve taken and there are minimal savings if any. In several instances, the rates are higher than on other airlines. 

Last time I checked was for our annual trip to SJU for Christmas/New Years 2019-2020 (flying on probably the busiest days of the season, so I knew airfare would be high). Delta nonstop flights 11 months out from ATL were $800 round trip. I was sure that Southwest would beat them once they opened bookings. Nope. Southwest wanted $1,100 per person! 😱. And that was with a connection in Tampa, Orlando, or Ft. Lauderdale. I actually decided to wait a bit longer, and ended booking the Delta nonstops for $580. 

That example reflects what my experience with booking Southwest flights has been for several years now. We haven’t set foot on a Southwest plane literally in 7 years. Almost every time, other airlines are cheaper and/or more convenient. 

With SW (and to a lesser degree other airlines) you need to do your homework—-and sometimes have nerves of steel to wait it out. SW prices change frequently and I usually find my best rates on any airline within 60 days of travel. You also need to search for one passenger to find the lowest price. 

We are flying CA to HI next week for $139 each. While I watched prices, that flight varied from $199 to $539. I purchased at $199 because that was the lowest I had seen for adjacent days in the past weeks. The next day it went to $139 and I called and received the lower price. That flight was still available yesterday for $139 but had been over $500 a couple weeks ago. We paid $124 MSP to CA. All good hours and NS flights.Delta on the way home because that was the cheapest for our multi city route.

9 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Unfortunately not. We just booked flights to San Juan and paid for the flights with points but had to pay full price for early bird. 

Thanks teknoge...I was pretty sure that was the case.

We have a flight back to Louisville at 10:40 am the day after the Vista disembarks.  Does it make sense to pay for the early bird option for that flight?  It will be $25 p/p for each of us (2)?  Or just get on the cell phone and check in at 10:40 am on disembarkation day?  I know getting off of the ship can be hectic and I also know that fog can be issue this time of year.  We will be getting back into port on 3/7/20.  If we are delayed due to fog, is there a chance that I will be able to get cell phone coverage while the ship is waiting for the fog to clear to get into port??

15 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Thanks teknoge...I was pretty sure that was the case.

We have a flight back to Louisville at 10:40 am the day after the Vista disembarks.  Does it make sense to pay for the early bird option for that flight?  It will be $25 p/p for each of us (2)?  Or just get on the cell phone and check in at 10:40 am on disembarkation day?  I know getting off of the ship can be hectic and I also know that fog can be issue this time of year.  We will be getting back into port on 3/7/20.  If we are delayed due to fog, is there a chance that I will be able to get cell phone coverage while the ship is waiting for the fog to clear to get into port??

That's a personal preference. We always buy it both ways so I don't have to worry about remembering to check-in or any of that. I just open their app when I get to the airport. 

10 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Unfortunately not. We just booked flights to San Juan and paid for the flights with points but had to pay full price for early bird. 

You know, you could just buy 1 early bird for 2 people...especially if the first one on with the early bird heads to the back of the plane...I've heard from a friend...

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

That's a personal preference. We always buy it both ways so I don't have to worry about remembering to check-in or any of that. I just open their app when I get to the airport. 

My DH and I were just talking about this and I have to agree with you.  It's one less thing to worry about.  It takes care of all of the what-ifs.  Besides, we are using are rapid reward points for the flights anyway.  

23 minutes ago, Roscoe13 said:

You know, you could just buy 1 early bird for 2 people...especially if the first one on with the early bird heads to the back of the plane...I've heard from a friend...

You know....I just can't do that....that's not how I roll.  Don't get me wrong...I love a good deal, but that is cutting corners for a small amount of $$.  🤨

2 hours ago, E@syPe@zy said:

You know....I just can't do that....that's not how I roll.  Don't get me wrong...I love a good deal, but that is cutting corners for a small amount of $$.  🤨

That's cool.  Hat's off to you for virtue signaling.  I'll do me and you do you.

9 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can you pay a price just to use the computer to do online check-in from the ship? Or do you need to purchase a full Internet package?

I think that was my original question haha!  flying southwest and i just bought the early bird for our return trip only, so i didn't have to worry about it.  although i'm not that happy about paying extra $50, but guess it will be worth it. 

We have to hurry too, our flight leaves at 10:15 am from FLL, but at least I'll be checked in, just hope we make it LOL..unless something goes wrong, we will make it.

15 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can you pay a price just to use the computer to do online check-in from the ship? Or do you need to purchase a full Internet package?

no, but you can ask someone who is at the internet cafe, if you could use it for a few minutes.