Bliss in no-self service mode 1/31

Heronymous

15 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

This level of hygienic inconvenience is unnecessary at this stage in my opinion and I sincerely hope it eases by the time my cruise is in March 

I completely agree. And it is such a messed up logic - a ship sailing from the US into the Caribbean, and we are, apparently, not even allowed to touch salad thongs at the bar ourselves; however, the ship scheduled to sail directly out of China itself (Hong Kong) they are refusing to cancel and re-reimburse people for, saying it is safe and no concerns warranted at this point. So hypocritical. 

I first don't understand why this is such a disaster here for some . And feeling  " level of hygienic inconvenience is unnecessary "

This has trickled down from the CDC and WHO  ( world health org) to  implement enhanced screening, prevention and control measures for  ships globally. When it is declared a global health emergency as this virus has been.

This is implemented to keep everyone as safe as can be.

Let me play devils advocate here. 

For 1 they are doing the temps at the ports as an eval. Right? So lets say someone is going on a cruise and has flown in from china. They go through the airport and are a febrile. Great they pass that test. SO now they check in the hotel overnight before their cruise. They feel fine. Next day at port get scanned and are a febrile again--great pass that test.   Get on board and 3 days into the cruise they  start with upper respiratory symptoms. Now the only place that can test  to see if this person has the virus is the CDC. So now they need to QT them and eval. By this time they have been in contact with  a ton of people. (off the ship and on the ship) See the domino effect here. 

Much is unknown about how 2019-nCoV, a new coronavirus, spreads. Early on, many of the patients in the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by 2019-nCov in Wuhan, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Later, a growing number of patients reportedly did not have exposure to animal markets, indicating person-to-person spread. Chinese officials report that sustained person-to-person spread in the community is occurring in China. Person-to-person spread has been reported outside China, including in the United States and other countries.

In addition, cases asymptomatic spread of the virus have been reported.This has occurred in Germany. So now the thinking is that you are contagious before you have symptoms.

Entry screening alone is not a guarantee against the possible importation of this new virus but is an important public health tool during periods of uncertainty and part of a multilayered government response strategy. As new information emerges, CDC will reassess entry screening measures and could scale activities up or down accordingly.

This new virus is no joke. This is a rapidly evolving situation. It needs to be taken seriously. Especially since the federal gov issues a mandatory quarantine  and the last time that happened was 50 years ago. The gov has several military basis in place across the US to be used a QT holding facility if needed. Medical facilities and Home based nursing care now all have protocols to follow as well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, liene said:

That is not really a solution for everybody. We are traveling with our 2 and 4 year olds. Buffet was basically the only place we planned to eat with them, as they are impatient little humans. Restaurant can be an occasional option, but it is absolutely not a way to go for us for 3 meals a day. That would be a disaster. Now, when at a buffet, we usually get plates for our boys first, then go sit them down and I stay with them while my husband goes gets a plate for himself. Once he is back, I go get my food and then we can finally all eat together. By that time, the boys have eaten most of their food, and have run out of milk, bread, fruit... whatever that might be, and one of us has to go back to the buffet to replenish the supply. Now, if there is no self service anymore, and we need to stand in a line for every time we need something, every meal will take us hours! And what happens in the mornings, when most of the people try to get breakfast before heading ashore? I imagine it is a complete chaos! I am honestly dreading this as our NCL Getaway cruise is coming up in 5 days. No self-service might work on some smaller ships, but there is just NO WAY they can make this efficient with 4000+ people on-board. And if this is meant to ''prevent viruses'', that is not going to work - with the amount of people sharing all these cramped public spaces together, the virus will spread if there is one (people cough, sneeze, touch doorknobs, chairs, elevator buttons, use bathrooms, pools, gym...). Restricting the buffet is merely for show, in my opinion, to make people think they are ''safe'' but in the end it will be more of a frustration and inconvenience than anything. 

I totally suggest going to Savor or Taste for breakfast in the AM. You can also go to the observatory for some buffet items and it's usually not as busy, but Savor and Taste are much busier than normal due to the buffet changes, so go early.

6 minutes ago, Heronymous said:

I totally suggest going to Savor or Taste for breakfast in the AM. You can also go to the observatory for some buffet items and it's usually not as busy, but Savor and Taste are much busier than normal due to the buffet changes, so go early.

What are the chances they extend breakfast dining room hours past the 9/9:30?

35 minutes ago, Heronymous said:

I think Savor and Taste only open at 7:30AM. For almost all of the islands we have shore excursions reserved, and they start first thing in the morning around 8 or 8:30AM, so we can't manage to go to Savor and Taste even if we tried. The observatory cafe opens even later - at 8AM. My only go-to option is the buffet for a super quick early bite before we head off as that one opens at 6AM. But I am sure that will be the case for thousands of others on the ship, so I don't think there will be anything ''quick'' about it in this case. And to bring 2 young children out on excursions unfed is also not a solution. Oh man! 

For those who have used it - how does the room service work (for breakfast)? Can we order it for a specific time? If it is 4 of us in the room, do we just pay one convenience charge, or 4 charges (if each one of us orders a plate)? And is the automatic 20% gratuity also added to this? Thank you!

11 hours ago, liene said:

I think Savor and Taste only open at 7:30AM. For almost all of the islands we have shore excursions reserved, and they start first thing in the morning around 8 or 8:30AM, so we can't manage to go to Savor and Taste even if we tried. The observatory cafe opens even later - at 8AM. My only go-to option is the buffet for a super quick early bite before we head off as that one opens at 6AM. But I am sure that will be the case for thousands of others on the ship, so I don't think there will be anything ''quick'' about it in this case. And to bring 2 young children out on excursions unfed is also not a solution. Oh man! 

For those who have used it - how does the room service work (for breakfast)? Can we order it for a specific time? If it is 4 of us in the room, do we just pay one convenience charge, or 4 charges (if each one of us orders a plate)? And is the automatic 20% gratuity also added to this? Thank you!

If you just do continental or basic breakfast, its free. There are little door handle slips of paper notes in the Room Service Menu Binder in your room, you fill it out and place it on the door outside your room with what you want and it is delivered free the next morning.

9 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

If you just do continental or basic breakfast, its free. There are little door handle slips of paper notes in the Room Service Menu Binder in your room, you fill it out and place it on the door outside your room with what you want and it is delivered free the next morning.

This is an excellent suggestion. If you need to be out early for excursions, having the free continental room service breakfast brought to your room will save you a lot of time and hassle versus the buffet.

12 hours ago, liene said:

You pay only one charge, no matter how much food you order.  As noted, the continental breakfast items do not incur the charge, so the $7.95 (or is it now $9.95?) charge kicks in when you order "hot" items.  I do believe they add the 20% gratuity on top of that, but not certain.

With the exception of the free/complimentary continential breakfast delivery - the service/delivery charge has gone up to $9.95 already (effective since this January, 2020)  - for each delivery, regardless of how many/much items you ordered, i.e. oceanview family cabin with 5 guests - just $9.95 once.

There are only 3 "hot" breakfast item available for ordering to be delivered, and even if you order 5 hot items (any combo of the 3 choices) - it is still $9.95.  Plus you can order the other complimentary items along, coffee/tea, juice, etc.   Select a 30 minutes window, starting at 6:30 am thru 9:30 am for the delivery and use the door hanger tag (ask room steward for it, if you don't see/find them in the cabin/binder).  

If the ship is operating in "no self service mode" - this can be a time saver for those in a hurry in the morning, rushing to go ashore & join the excurison, etc. 

IMG_20191215_093132347.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Great! Thank you so much everybody! I think for the 2 port days when we go ashore at 7AM, room service will have to be the way to go as far as breakfast. At least that's a better solution than not having breakfast at all! 😄 

So if I understand right, the $9.95 is a flat one-time charge per room, and if I order 4 omelettes (one for each of us), it will still be $9.95, NOT 4x$9.95, correct? 

1 minute ago, liene said:

Great! Thank you so much everybody! I think for the 2 port days when we go ashore at 7AM, room service will have to be the way to go as far as breakfast. At least that's a better solution than not having breakfast at all! 😄 

So if I understand right, the $9.95 is a flat one-time charge per room, and if I order 4 omelettes (one for each of us), it will still be $9.95, NOT 4x$9.95, correct? 

Correct. The $9.95 is a delivery fee for the whole order, not per item.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:44 PM, liene said:

That is not really a solution for everybody. We are traveling with our 2 and 4 year olds. Buffet was basically the only place we planned to eat with them, as they are impatient little humans. Restaurant can be an occasional option, but it is absolutely not a way to go for us for 3 meals a day. That would be a disaster. Now, when at a buffet, we usually get plates for our boys first, then go sit them down and I stay with them while my husband goes gets a plate for himself. Once he is back, I go get my food and then we can finally all eat together. By that time, the boys have eaten most of their food, and have run out of milk, bread, fruit... whatever that might be, and one of us has to go back to the buffet to replenish the supply. Now, if there is no self service anymore, and we need to stand in a line for every time we need something, every meal will take us hours! And what happens in the mornings, when most of the people try to get breakfast before heading ashore? I imagine it is a complete chaos! I am honestly dreading this as our NCL Getaway cruise is coming up in 5 days. No self-service might work on some smaller ships, but there is just NO WAY they can make this efficient with 4000+ people on-board. And if this is meant to ''prevent viruses'', that is not going to work - with the amount of people sharing all these cramped public spaces together, the virus will spread if there is one (people cough, sneeze, touch doorknobs, chairs, elevator buttons, use bathrooms, pools, gym...). Restricting the buffet is merely for show, in my opinion, to make people think they are ''safe'' but in the end it will be more of a frustration and inconvenience than anything. 

I totally agree.  Having sailed on Escape, Epic and Getaway I can't imagine them dishing out food to every single person.  I know this virus is spreading fast, but it's not like the flu doesn't exist.  In fact, the flu is probably way more widespread and has killed more people than this Coronavirus.  Not saying precautions shouldn't be taken, but this is out of hand. We were just on RCL Harmony last week (5000 plus passengers) and they funneled everyone through the hand washing stations at the entrance to the buffet before allowing us inside, and this was after we were given hand sanitzer by the hostess. 

21 hours ago, MichMom06 said:

I totally agree.  Having sailed on Escape, Epic and Getaway I can't imagine them dishing out food to every single person.  I know this virus is spreading fast, but it's not like the flu doesn't exist.  In fact, the flu is probably way more widespread and has killed more people than this Coronavirus.  Not saying precautions shouldn't be taken, but this is out of hand. We were just on RCL Harmony last week (5000 plus passengers) and they funneled everyone through the hand washing stations at the entrance to the buffet before allowing us inside, and this was after we were given hand sanitzer by the hostess. 

Ugh, this sucks. 😞 2 days until our cruise and I have zero excitement. With 2 little kids, we avoid anything that has public waiting and standing in line involved (grocery stores, restaurants, shopping etc) unless we absolutely have to. And now I will be cramped on a ship for 9 days forcing me to stand in line for every single thing we might need. I foresee meltdowns and bad moods all around. And most of all, it frustrates me that all of this is because of Coronavirus in China, when we have flu every season right here in the USA, killing way more people but nobody even gives it a thought... Either way, I just hope that by now NCL has figured out how to make this buffet thing somewhat efficient...

Edited by liene

4 hours ago, liene said:

Ugh, this sucks. 😞 2 days until our cruise and I have zero excitement. With 2 little kids, we avoid anything that has public waiting and standing in line involved (grocery stores, restaurants, shopping etc) unless we absolutely have to. And now I will be cramped on a ship for 9 days forcing me to stand in line for every single thing we might need. I foresee meltdowns and bad moods all around. And most of all, it frustrates me that all of this is because of Coronavirus in China, when we have flu every season right here in the USA, killing way more people but nobody even gives it a thought... Either way, I just hope that by now NCL has figured out how to make this buffet thing somewhat efficient...

I just read that the Encore ended it's ban on self-service today, so hopefully that is a good sign for your sailing on the Bliss this weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I just read that the Encore ended it's ban on self-service today, so hopefully that is a good sign for your sailing on the Bliss this weekend.

Oh wow, you just gave me hope!! 😄