Need Day Room in Auckland flight isn't till 7:40 pm after disembarking from cruise ship

Ruth

Need Day Room in Auckland. Flight isn't till 7:40 pm after disembarking from cruise ship. We have been to Auckland multi times. So just need a resort/room to hang out in for that time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

54 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

If you have no need of "seeing" Auckland, you could make you way leisurely to the airport and use the "pay to enter" Strata Lounge after checking in and clearing security.

Except you can't access Strata until you check in. And check in doesn't open until 3 hours before - unless you are on Air NZ. Crazy but true - couldn't believe it when I flew out of Akl a few months ago. And there are very limited eating/drinking options before security!  Its much worse than it was in the past 

Have to agree about Auckland Airport, as an Aucklander who uses it a lot.  Travelling round and seeing other airports is a real eye-opener. For example Taipei airport is top notch, efficient and super clean.  Auckland airport is small and has not got much to offer in the way of food apart from takeout type things like sandwiches and fries. Overpriced at that. I think they are overhauling it, but they are always doing catch-up rather than building for the future. Just my opinionated opinion.

On the other hand if you compare it with say Aitutaki in the South Pacific which is basically a coral strip in a field I guess its pretty good. (BTW I love Aitutaki and not throwing shade).

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

There are luggage storage at Princess wharf ( cruise terminal) - Shed 23/145 Quay Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland

Not sure thats true any more. I believe the main wharf for Cruise ships changed to Queens Wharf and a lot of the facilities on Princes wharf are now apartments.  There are no luggage lockers at the Ferry terminal, the nearest is at Britomart across Quay Street. Worth asking around some more as I have never checked luggage there so cannot be 100% certain.  

1 hour ago, alirat153 said:

Not sure thats true any more. I believe the main wharf for Cruise ships changed to Queens Wharf and a lot of the facilities on Princes wharf are now apartments.  There are no luggage lockers at the Ferry terminal, the nearest is at Britomart across Quay Street. Worth asking around some more as I have never checked luggage there so cannot be 100% certain.  

Has this one closed down?

https://www.shoretripsandtours.com/Product/Luggage Storage Princes Wharf.php

33 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It does appear to be still there, just very confusing when looking up the location. There are so many changes in that area of the wharfs its hard to know - google wasn't helpful.  Best to check things with a phone call.  I'll shut up now.

2 minutes ago, eric2011 said:

Downtown Auckland around the bottom of Queen street/wharf area is a ***** fight at the moment, avoid it like the plague. Head for the Novotel at the airport

Yes massive road works ,at the peak of the tourist season , plus trenching for underground rail ....it’s a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a day room at the Hilton last year and it was a good decision. Our flight did not leave until midnight and we had discovered the check in wait at the airport on a previous trip.

It was walking distance for us- we travel fairly light. Enjoyed breakfast with a great view. Left the luggage in the room after breakfast and had a good walk around. Back at the hotel we took a nap being careful to set our alarm. Headed to the airport about 7 and still had to wait but it was so much easier.

We do love Auckland but facing a 12 hour flight was too concerting and this worked well for us.

32 minutes ago, travelers07 said:

We booked a day room at the Hilton last year and it was a good decision. Our flight did not leave until midnight and we had discovered the check in wait at the airport on a previous trip.

It was walking distance for us- we travel fairly light. Enjoyed breakfast with a great view. Left the luggage in the room after breakfast and had a good walk around. Back at the hotel we took a nap being careful to set our alarm. Headed to the airport about 7 and still had to wait but it was so much easier.

We do love Auckland but facing a 12 hour flight was too concerting and this worked well for us.

What may have been a good decision last year isn't necessarily good atm. To the OP consider your options carefully. The advise offered by myself, alirat 153 and Kiwi Kruzer indicates the current condition of downtown AKL. It really is a 4 block disaster zone

On 2/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, lissie said:

Except you can't access Strata until you check in. And check in doesn't open until 3 hours before - unless you are on Air NZ. Crazy but true - couldn't believe it when I flew out of Akl a few months ago. And there are very limited eating/drinking options before security!  Its much worse than it was in the past 

When we travelled through Auckland last June we were shocked that there was one ATM and that was offline. We had a 6 hour stopover and there wasn't much to keep us occupied. Coming through last October the Qantas lounge didmake the wait easier. 

We are on the same cruise as Ruth and we have been scratching our heads on what to do for the day. We are on the Solstice in April.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Yes massive road works ,at the peak of the tourist season , plus trenching for underground rail ....it’s a mess.

We were there on 3/2 and met up with friends at the Hilton. Yes, a lot of work going on there but we had no trouble getting about or accessing the wharf area.

Hello,

Like Ruth, our flight does not leave until 7:30 p.m. (on Dec. 10). We would love to see Auckland. Does anyone know of a tour company that will drop us off at the airport after a 4-5 hr. tour? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.