Gluten Free on MSC..the bad, good and great..

Nashna

We just spent 17 days on the Divina.  My husband has Celiac Disease so the quality and selection of the GF offerings is very important to us.

Great...

A dedicated area on the ship to prepare GF foods.  

A special GF Menu in the MDR and offered in YC for breakfast and dinner.  This menu had items not offered in the MDR such as prime rib and lamb chops.  The sauces were fantastic and the presentation was great.  I actually ordered some items off the GF menu when I wasn't thrilled with what was offered on the regular MDR menu.  Not sure why they bothered with the breakfast GF menu as it did not offer anything other than the usual meats, eggs, etc.

Good...

The pastry offered on Divina was all pre-packaged and came in the original wrappers.   The chocolate croissants were great as was the focciocio.  The bread was just ok.  At breakfast, these were presented cold and we had to ask them to be reheated.   

Bad...

NO PIZZA!  This was a big surprise as it has been available on our last 7 sailings on different cruise lines.  RCCL's pizza was so good that our grandchildren preferred it to the regular.  Even offering frozen pizza would be better than none.  I did ask and was told that they had received lots of complaints about this.   We were informed that no MSC ship offers pizza.

NO TOAST, PANCAKES, WAFFLES.  Again, he has had these on previous sailings on other lines.  

When asked about options on the buffet, we were told by two different people that there were no GF options and "you can't eat anything on the buffet"!  Of course, this was untrue as there were always salads or plain meats and fruit.  

While MSC special GF kitchen really shines at dinner, they need to do more to enhance the GF options for breakfast, breads and dessert. 

• Like 2

Thamks for the report. Being more sensitive than full on allergic, I tend to be able to eat around most foods. Your dinner report has me wondering whether I should actually formalize the GF requirement for my April cruise.

Definitely ask for both menus.  When we were in Le Muse, the maître de actually came over to check on the GF menu to see if they had prime rib for a passenger who was not eating GF, but wanted prime rib.  Every night, shrimp cocktail was on the GF menu.

31 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Definitely ask for both menus.  When we were in Le Muse, the maître de actually came over to check on the GF menu to see if they had prime rib for a passenger who was not eating GF, but wanted prime rib.  Every night, shrimp cocktail was on the GF menu.

Oh wow. I wish we had known that. The shrimp cocktail was one of the best things we had in Le Muse, but it was only offered once.

10 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Oh wow. I wish we had known that. The shrimp cocktail was one of the best things we had in Le Muse, but it was only offered once.

My husband had shrimp almost every night.  One evening, we dined with another couple, and when they heard him ordering it, they did as well.  

22 hours ago, Nashna said:

Bad...

NO PIZZA!  This was a big surprise as it has been available on our last 7 sailings on different cruise lines. 

Wait a second ... for a second there I thought you said NO PIZZA 😱

My husband asked for it on the first night and they brought it to the MDR every night.  When we were in the YC, he also just mentioned it once and it came every night.  MSC has a separate kitchen that just does GF.  They have a menu printed every day, you just need to ask.  Bob would check out both menus and then pick from the one that he wanted.  Only area where they did not match the regular menu was in desserts.  He pretty much was stuck with ice cream.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back from our March 10th 3 night Divina cruise and wanted to share my experience with gluten free on MSC. This was my first time on MSC.

I had heard so many good things about how MSC excels at gluten free because of their European experience etc. but this was simply not the case for me.

Our cruise had no sea days and went to Ocean Cay and Nassau.

1. Boarding Day: The ONLY option was the buffet which is something I avoid as a celiac sufferer. We were told that the only thing on the buffet that "might" be safe was the salad and fruit. Everything else was off limits. We spoke with an officer who said that theycould prepare us some chicken and fish. Turns out it was a grilled chicken breast (no fish) with steamed carrots and zucchini. Chicken breast was delicious, carrots OK, and zucchini was underdone.

2. Boarding day dinner: We were given our own separate menu but the choices were very limited. Basically that chicken breast and fish for entrees. No beef options. Dinner was OK and provided the most options on the ship.

3. Day 2 breakfast: Gluten free menu but lots of the items like muffins, etc. they said they could not do or were out of. No meats on the menu but we were able to successfully order bacon and ham this time. Basically, you get scrambled eggs and some bagged croissants that were very good (orange filling). 

4. We were at Ocean Cay on Day 2 and we had bought a deluxe cabana that included lunch. We selected our lunch items on a form at the shore excursions desk. We noted that 2 of us were gluten free and our items needed to be gluten free. The night before they found me in the theater and told me that they cannot provide ANY gluten free food on the island and I should downgrade to the cabana without food. (which I did) 

So we go on the island this day and there is NO gluten free food options on the island. Once we were done we went back on the ship and went to the buffet for lunch. (only thing open) We find an officer so we can get something made for us and are informed that the gluten free kitchen is closed and everyone is on the island and we cannot have ANY food made for us but that he can give us one of those bread rolls in a bag. I told him to make it 2. Feeling like a prisoner at this point with just bread and water. LOL

As I am at the table eating my bread rolls our dedicated gluten free officer comes by and notices me. I mentioned that we got nothing and he said he will see what he can do. About 10 minutes later he showed up with a plate of last night's leftovers. I ate most of it even though some of it was cold.

5. The Divina bar has a box of gluten free snacks underneath the bar. It took awhile after asking many different people to find this out. I was hungry after "lunch" so I stopped by and grabbed 4 of them and it came out to $15.30 (which includes a $2 gratuity for them reaching under the bar, grabbing the box, and you picking out what you want.

6. Day 2 dinner: I was hungry so I ordered the chicken breast which came with carrots and zucchini again as well as another entree with pasta with a seafood sauce. The menu only list fruit plate and cheese plate for dessert but we got our guy to bring us a piece of cake that was mostly whipped cream like.

7. Skipped breakfast Day 3 - Went to buffet for lunch where I had ... can you guess??? Grilled chicken breast, carrots, and no zucchini ... it was steamed broccoli that was cold when it arrived. Had some of my snacks before dinner.

8. Day 3 Dinner: Menu was the same old fish and chicken and a pasta option. I asked if they could grill chicken breast, cut up, add to pasta, and add marinara sauce. They said they could not but could bring pasta with marinara and a grilled chicken breast separate. So I asked them why I cannot get one of the steaks that is on the main menu gluten free. He said he could do one if I out the order in right now and was willing to wait a bit longer. I said yes and told him to bring me another entree too. Steak came later and it was a cheaper cut sirloin but was OK. I was hyena like at this stage any way.

9. Debark day breakfast: Got 2 croissants and asked why I couldn't have omelet instead of scrambled eggs. He said I could have omelet as long as it was mushroom and cheese omelet with no alterations. I said ok and it was just ok when it came.

Frankly, I couldn't wait to get off this ship. It was singularly the worst gluten free experience I've experienced on a ship. Carnival and Norwegian do 10 times better without even trying.

More thoughts:

All bread options were these little rolls in a bag. I had 3 different ones. I liked the 2nd one the best but after getting it once they said they didn't have them anymore.

Apparently iced tea is not a thing on MSC. I could get it a some meals but not others.

There really are no grab and go gluten free options on the ship. They couldn't guarantee any gelato was gluten free at the gelato place.

The staff doesn't have any empathy are seem to care when they tell you no.

There was a special section on the cabana form for listing food allergies. However, if they cannot handle them then why is it even on the form.

We had fully intended on booking an MSC Meraviglia cruise at the future cruise desk before we ever boarded. However, after this experience we did not. I'm not saying that I'm never going on MSC again but it is not likely. Unless I hear some completely opposite reviews of mine in the future on gluten free options I won't be planning any more MSC sailings.

Big Fail for MSC on Gluten Free

Finally, I realize that MSC does not have to accommodate me. I'm the one with celiac disease and I'm the once forced to eat gluten free and it is not up to them to deal with this. (and that's fine) However, the other cruise lines DO accommodate my needs and thus I will spend my money with the cruise lines that do take care of me. 🙂

• Like 1

Nightone….I am so sorry.  My husband did not have that experience at all with the MDR.  His GF.menu had more choices than mine.  Every night he was offered a beef dish...including prime rib (which never appeared on the regular menu), lamp chops or pork as well as fish and chicken.  We were on the Divina in January and have the Seaview booked for January 2021.  We will be hugely disappointed if the menu onboard in January is what you experienced.  Obviously, something has changed with the MDR  and I wonder why?  I totally agree with you regarding the buffet.  He was told that the only thing he could have was the salad bar and fruit.  I questioned why he couldn't have a slice of beef from the roast they were cutting and they said it had gluten in it.  We have been on every ship from Seabourn to RCCL in the past four years and can truly say the buffet and pastry on Divina were the poorest.  We were also distressed to see that there wasn't toast, waffles or pancakes offered for breakfast.  We only had breakfast in the MDR as it does offer more than the buffet.  My husband had an omelet almost every morning and it was always loaded with everything so I don't understand why they would restrict yours.  I met the Captain and the Hotel Director and mentioned how disappointed we were with the buffet and the lack of pizza.  Both said that MSC was working on providing GF pizza in the future.  

21 hours ago, Nashna said:

Nightone….I am so sorry.  My husband did not have that experience at all with the MDR.  His GF.menu had more choices than mine.  Every night he was offered a beef dish...including prime rib (which never appeared on the regular menu), lamp chops or pork as well as fish and chicken.  We were on the Divina in January and have the Seaview booked for January 2021.  We will be hugely disappointed if the menu onboard in January is what you experienced.  Obviously, something has changed with the MDR  and I wonder why?  I totally agree with you regarding the buffet.  He was told that the only thing he could have was the salad bar and fruit.  I questioned why he couldn't have a slice of beef from the roast they were cutting and they said it had gluten in it.  We have been on every ship from Seabourn to RCCL in the past four years and can truly say the buffet and pastry on Divina were the poorest.  We were also distressed to see that there wasn't toast, waffles or pancakes offered for breakfast.  We only had breakfast in the MDR as it does offer more than the buffet.  My husband had an omelet almost every morning and it was always loaded with everything so I don't understand why they would restrict yours.  I met the Captain and the Hotel Director and mentioned how disappointed we were with the buffet and the lack of pizza.  Both said that MSC was working on providing GF pizza in the future.  

Honestly I was pretty disappointed. The other gluten free person in our party was on Seaside in early 2019 and had a great experience. They were also disappointed on Divina and said it wasn't the same. Very sad as the the ships are beautiful and I liked almost everything else on the ship. MSC just isn't for celiac/gluten free cruisers in my opinion. First time ever that I went hungry on a cruise ship. 😞

What I gathered on the Seaside is that they won't tell you anything is GF unless it has been prepared in the GF section of the kitchen and officially certified as GF.  That's different than other lines because MSC is so diligent about GF being an Italian cruise line (other lines present as gluten-friendly but aren't as meticulous).  Once I figured that out, I started making my own decisions.  If you cook, you have a reasonable idea of what is GF and what may be dangerous for you.  On the buffet, I asked the chefs on the line if I didn't know and they were great about helping me.  If it was something they weren't sure about, I stayed away.  I only had 1 problem in the buffet and that was on me because I didn't ask before eating it.  

Not having any GF pizza was a disappointment, but I get plenty of GF pizza normally with the widespread availability of GF and cauliflower crusts now.  I don't get fresh bread or freshly made pasta often, so I was thrilled enough with that to make up for not having pizza.  It sounds like the Divina doesn't serve the fresh GF bread with meals which would be a big disappointment.  While I loved the prepackaged pastries the first few days, they got old toward the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is all a disappointment to read. I’m really surprised too. We have an Italy trip planned in March (not a cruise) and Italy is VERY celiac friendly. They have way more options than we do here in the US. So it’s shocking to see an Italian ship not GF friendly. For MSC not to have GF pizza is crazy. I honestly would not have bought the cruise if I’d read this. At least it’s just a small 3 nighter. 

My son is not celiac but VERY intolerant. I’m reading you can’t bring food on board. Will they allow you in a case like this?

We are in the Meraviglia next month so I’ll report back. 

Edited by Mirrasis

3 hours ago, Mirrasis said:

My son is not celiac but VERY intolerant. I’m reading you can’t bring food on board. Will they allow you in a case like this?

You can bring packaged prepared food onboard (such as crackers and dry snacks or power bars).  You cannot bring any fruit, veggies, meats, or anything that would need to be "prepared."

Make sure you fill out the medical declaration in advance and let them know that you will want the GF menus.  

I have just returned from a cruise in the MSC Yacht Club onboard the MSC Grandiosa in the Mediterranean Sea. They have a dedicated GF kitchen onboard and this kitchen make all the gluten free food onboard. They have  GF menus in the YC restaurant and MDR's. The food was good to very good, no complaints at all. Delicious GF pasta too. The problem is the buffet restaurant. There is no allergy marking of the food so you have to know your stuff if you are going to eat there. No GF pizza. However, I did order GF pizza from the butler in the Yacht Club and it was very good. It was made in the GF kitchen. So it's available onboard, at least on the Grandiosa. They are really very serious about cross contamination. They don't want you to be sick. We also got great GF bread for breakfast, both in the cabin and in the restaurant. No freshly baked cakes or pastries though, that was very disappointing. But you always have the Gelato. Here are some photos of the GF meals that was offered in the Yacht Club Restaurant. They should be similar in the MDR's as it's the same kitchen. I also recommend dining in the speciality restaurant Butcher's Cut. Delicious food and plenty of GF options. A good idea is to have a chat with the Maitre'd/restaurant manager on the embarkation day. They will do everything for you, so you can enjoy your cruise without worrying about being sick of the food. Have a great GF cruise. 

IMG_20211012_205113.jpg

IMG_20211012_202022.jpg

IMG_20211012_194326.jpg

IMG_20211010_201254.jpg

IMG_20211010_195558.jpg

IMG_20211010_194407.jpg

IMG_20211009_204635.jpg

IMG_20211009_202212.jpg

IMG_20211009_200757.jpg

IMG_20211009_195101.jpg

IMG_20211007_203634.jpg

IMG_20211007_173743.jpg

IMG_20211006_202447.jpg

IMG_20211006_200345.jpg

IMG_20211006_194826.jpg

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

8 hours ago, Mirrasis said:

This is all a disappointment to read. I’m really surprised too. We have an Italy trip planned in March (not a cruise) and Italy is VERY celiac friendly. They have way more options than we do here in the US. So it’s shocking to see an Italian ship not GF friendly. For MSC not to have GF pizza is crazy. I honestly would not have bought the cruise if I’d read this. At least it’s just a small 3 nighter. 

We are in the Meraviglia next month so I’ll report back. 

Please note that my original post was from January 2020...just before Covid hit.  The officiers that I spoke with all said that GF pizza was something they were working on.  Two years can make a big difference.  I would only pay attention to the latest posts. 

MSC was the best GF experience I've had including Royal and Celebrity. Warm bread plus GF pasta or risotto every night? I was in heaven. In the buffet, I asked the server how an item was prepared. If they couldn't tell me, they found someone who could. I was generally able to eat the rotating fish or chicken dish each day along with a potato or rice plus veggies. My only complaints were pizza (sounds like this may have changed) and dessert. The same cakes were served multiple nights. But with gelato available, I didn't suffer. 

• Like 1

.We were in the Yacht Club, so I don't know about the rest of the ship.  We ordered cheese and crackers and our butler brought us six boxes of very good GF crackers as he was afraid that he might not be able to find them again and wanted to be sure that we had enough for the rest of the cruise.  

• 2 months later...

@Norwegian Cruiser 73are you able share some more photos of the gluten free menus please from your trip on MSC Grandiosa please? Where sailing soon and love to see more examples of the kind items available. Slightly worried as to what will be available and if it’ll be repetitive!

Is it the same GF menu for dinner each night of a cruise or does it change? 

Have you got photos of the lunch GF menu? Does that changr or is the same everyday?

Have you got a photo of the GF breakfast menu too please.

Thanks for your help