Future Cruise in Japan on Diamond Princess

Moore 1

We are booked to do a 9 day cruise from Yokohamar to a number of Japanese ports only on the 2nd of April, however due to the current situation on the Princess diamond we are very concerned about our cruise, and if indeed it will go ahead, i.e. will Japan want to have this cruise ship visiting its ports, also listened to  the Princess CEO video and all of the crew are been given 2 month leave when they are allowed to leave the ship, (which Iam sure they well deserve) but this being the case where are they going to find the numbers of crew members they need in the next two months. There is plenty of communication from Princess regarding the current situation, but complete silence about the near future cruises, do others have similar concerns, has anyone been able to get any information from Princess in relation to this 

So far, it appears Princess is waiting until the last minute to cancel/change itinerary for some of these cruises. Someone posted today that they received an email changing the itinerary for a cruise that leave tomorrow...from OZ!! I can imaging the number of people that already flew in and were ready to board.

I would hope in this situation where they must have some idea, or be having some discussion that we get to know earlier than that, I have contact both Princess cruises in the past few day, but all I get is they cannot tell me anything at present, the pure logistics of needing to replace the entire crew alone must be an indicator that cruise would be able to take place, I am getting more and more frustrated every day

We're also booked on this cruise but for 18 days.  If things go as scheduled (which is doubtful) there will be two 9-day cruises before ours.  If they go off without a hitch we'll be going.  

That being said, we hope we get cancelled..  

• Like 1

To Moore1

Do you have trip insurance?

If so,do you have “cancel for any reason “coverage?

Could you cancel this cruise and book another Princess Cruise for the same time frame ?

Just suggesting some things to consider, but you have ,most likely,considered your options.

Hope things work out in your favor whatever you decide.

I'm not booked on the Diamond, but I would be hesitant to go to Asia anytime soon due to the Corona virus outbreak. We are booked Australia/New Zealand early next year and we hope all of this will be settled out by then.

I cannot imagine the sleepless nights the Princess logistics people are having now. The financial hit will be enormous! (It's a minor concern compared with the human issues, but CCL stock has already begun to take a hit.)

Edited by jhannah
  • Like 1

Thanks for responses, in answer to your questions, yes we have insurance, but it is not at the level we could just cancel at this stage and get our money back. we were really excited and looking forward to this trip, but due to present circumstances we are no not as keen, or excited, if the cruise is going a head with the current schedule we would go although very hesitantly, if we decide to cancel on our own in short we have lost £5,000 so in a way we would have no choice but to go 

Here's a link to the current list of cancelled cruises-

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html

Many are cancelled months out and others not-- not sure what the deal with the Sapphire Princess is but they've cancelled June cruises already.  Doesn't appear they are moving it elsewhere, but who knows.

I have friends that are booked out of Japan in May and even though it's not on this list, they have been advised their cruise is cancelled.  I'm trying to find out if it was on the Diamond Princess or not-- maybe that's why it's cancelled.  

Never mind- just reread the email from my friend and they are booked on Celebrity.  It left from Japan and did a couple of stops in Japan, one in Russia and then on to Vancouver.  Still wonder why they cancelled it with no China stops?

So sorry this happened to you.  Just goes to show the importance of cruise insurance.  If you're cruise insurance covers cancelling for medical reasons perhaps you could state the stress of the situation is making you ill- I know it would make me sick from stress!

Edited by holomuku

4 minutes ago, holomuku said:

Many are cancelled months out and others not-- not sure what the deal with the Sapphire Princess is but they've cancelled June cruises already.  Doesn't appear they are moving it elsewhere, but who knows.

In relation to Sapphire Princess the cruises cancelled in June were those starting/ending in Shanghai. Other than the current and next cancelled cruises, Sapphire is scheduled for a number of cruises from Singapore and Yokohama throughout March to May. Those cruises are not cancelled, as yet.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, dkjretired said:

Here's a story  in   Seatrade News which has Millennium going to the west coast and offering cruises to First Responders.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is redeploying two ships from Asia to humanitarian efforts in Australia and California to support some of the people affected by recent crises. 

Spectrum of the Seas and Celebrity Millennium

Spectrum of the Seas will be deployed from China to Australia for free cruises from Sydney in support of Australia’s first responder community during the bush fires crisis. And Celebrity Millennium is repositioning from Asia to the US West Coast to offer a series of sailings for California firefighters and other first responders.

Royal Caribbean noted the coronavirus outbreak has caused pain and disruption around the world. 

'When things go wrong, we want to find a way to help'

‘When things go wrong, this is a company that wants to find a way to help,’ Chairman and CEO Richard Fain said. ‘At Royal Caribbean, we consider ourselves fortunate to be able to use our ships in a positive way during difficult times.’   .........

'Cruising for Heroes'

Celebrity Millennium, meanwhile, is heading to the US earlier than scheduled, as previously reported, and will now offer a series of ‘Cruising for Heroes’ sailings in support of California firefighters, other first responders and veterans throughout March and April. A variety of three-, four- and five-night sailings have been added to the brand's offerings to travel the Pacific Coast. The cruises will leave from Los Angeles, and details will be announced soon.

‘The women and men of Celebrity were keen to have this opportunity to give back, even though this repositioning presented a challenging timeline,’ Fain said. ‘We know the hard work and sacrifice of those who have been keeping Californians safe, and it feels good to be able to say thank you.’

‘While the circumstances have not been what any of us would have wanted, we now have the opportunity to show the state of California our stunning Celebrity Millennium and do some good in the process by honoring and helping our everyday heroes who do so much for so many,’ added Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, president and CEO, Celebrity.

1 hour ago, holomuku said:

Here's a link to the current list of cancelled cruises-

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html

I have friends that are booked out of Japan in May and even though it's not on this list, they have been advised their cruise is cancelled.  I'm trying to find out if it was on the Diamond Princess or not-- maybe that's why it's cancelled.  

Never mind- just reread the email from my friend and they are booked on Celebrity.  It left from Japan and did a couple of stops in Japan, one in Russia and then on to Vancouver.  Still wonder why they cancelled it with no China stops?

So sorry this happened to you.  Just goes to show the importance of cruise insurance.  If you're cruise insurance covers cancelling for medical reasons perhaps you could state the stress of the situation is making you ill- I know it would make me sick from stress!

Yes, X are redeploying Millennium to the West Coast (US) and Royal’s Spectrum of the Seas to Australia, out of Asia and the issues of finding somewhere to dock. They are offering free cruises to fire operatives and emergency service operatives (fantastic, positive PR for them in this awful situation in Asia). See above post for details.

We have today received a cancellation notice from Princess for our April 2nd cruise, and will get full refund, plus 25% of next cruise if we sail before March 2021, So all sorted, relieved not to be going to Japan under the present crisis, but also upset as we were both so looking forward to this cruise. Never mind there is always next year

• Like 1