Any success upgrading room onboard?

jsg612

Hi all! Leaving next week on VOTS. I have been calling nearly every day to see if any balconies are available as we are in a promenade room but no success so far. I've been put on the waitlist too. Our cruise isn't eligible for RoyalUp either. 

So, I was wondering if anyone had any success upgrading the room as soon as they boarded? If so, how? Just at guest services? My thinking is that out of a few thousand people not everyone can make the cruise so surely at least one room would open up. 

Happy to pay obviously! We didn't have the money to originally get a balcony but now we do but of course with my luck they are all sold out. 

Thanks in advance 😊

13 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Have tried before but no luck. I think it’s a common question because GS will always hang signs up on first day stating that none are available. Always worth checking though, good luck!

I fixed it for you.  😉  😄

37 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Have tried before but no luck. I think it’s a common question because GS will normally hang signs up on first day stating that none are available. Always worth checking though, good luck!

Interesting! I've never seen that sign before. Or maybe I never looked, lol. 

Thanks everyone for input, I guess I have nothing to lose by just asking 🙂 

59 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

I’ve never seen it.

The only “ free “ upgrade I’ve ever seen and then you had to pay to participate was a grand suite was offered as a one off in a bingo game on the second day of the cruise.

No idea how many folks played.

Would be interesting to see if they do this on this cruise as upgrades department have told me only a GS is available. 

1 hour ago, jsg612 said:

Would be interesting to see if they do this on this cruise as upgrades department have told me only a GS is available. 

If there is a GS available I would think that they would offer it thru their RoyalUp program

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

If there is a GS available I would think that they would offer it thru their RoyalUp program

We aren't eligible for royalup so not sure if the sailing isn't or if it's just us? 5 cruises in the last year on different RC ships and different rooms and it has never been available to us. I think it's not offered on many cruises here in Australia honestly 

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

How much do you think a GS go's for on a royal up , shore side vs ship ? Ship still has a loss profit too deal with . If I was doing the books i would bingo the GS 🙂

11 hours ago, jsg612 said:

So, I was wondering if anyone had any success upgrading the room as soon as they boarded?

I think if you had to prioritize the Top 10 things that Guest Services has to deal with on turnaround/boarding day, cabin upsells would not even make the list.