King's Wharf to St George on a Saturday in May

fjb3cpa

Requesting a little guidance on the best way to get from King's Wharf to St George on a Saturday in May.  The direct ferry does not appear to run on weekends, so it would appear the options would be to:

Ferry to Hamilton, bus or taxi from Hamilton to St George

Bus all the way from Kings Wharf to St George

Taxi all the way from Kings Wharf to St George

Any help with these options would be appreciated, as well as any other options that might be available.

Thanks for your help

I'm wondering (hoping) that with a cruise ship at the Dockyard on a weekend the ferry will run a few times each day.  I would think cruise passengers make up a large percentage of Dockyard users.  

The current schedule is until mid April, which is when cruises start going there.

1 hour ago, lvz2cruz said:

I'm wondering (hoping) that with a cruise ship at the Dockyard on a weekend the ferry will run a few times each day.  I would think cruise passengers make up a large percentage of Dockyard users.  

The current schedule is until mid April, which is when cruises start going there.

They have not been running the ferry to St. George's on the weekend on the Summer Schedule.. I don't recall it ever running on the weekend even after the Dockyard became the prime dock for cruise ships and I have been crusing to Bermuda for 20 years. Anything is possible but based on past history I would not expect that to change this year. 

4 hours ago, fjb3cpa said:

Requesting a little guidance on the best way to get from King's Wharf to St George on a Saturday in May.  The direct ferry does not appear to run on weekends, so it would appear the options would be to:

Ferry to Hamilton, bus or taxi from Hamilton to St George

Bus all the way from Kings Wharf to St George

Taxi all the way from Kings Wharf to St George

Any help with these options would be appreciated, as well as any other options that might be available.

Thanks for your help

Right the ferry does not run to St. George's on the weekend. You have listed the other options. Be aware if you take the bus from King's Wharf you have to change buses at the bus terminal in Hamilton. There is no direct route. 

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They have not been running the ferry to St. George's on the weekend on the Summer Schedule.. I don't recall it ever running on the weekend even after the Dockyard became the prime dock for cruise ships and I have been crusing to Bermuda for 20 years. Anything is possible but based on past history I would not expect that to change this year. 

But have cruise ships docked there on weekends in the past or is the Summit schedule the first to be there on Saturday and Sunday?

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Note that a taxi from Dockyard to St. George is going to cost close to $100 one way.

If they were going to use a cab you could at least get a two hour blue flag tour for that and get dropped off on the other side of the island- would at least be a better value. 

5 minutes ago, lvz2cruz said:

But have cruise ships docked there on weekends in the past or is the Summit schedule the first to be there on Saturday and Sunday?

Yes, other ships have been visiting Bermuda in previous years on Saturdays and Sundays.

1 hour ago, lvz2cruz said:

Summit is not the first to dock there on the weekend. Many cruise ships have docked there on the weekend. In the cruise season there are usually cruise ships docked there on weekend. Cruise ships have been docking at the Dockyard on the weekend for years. 

Edited by Charles4515

I am also arriving on the Summit in May and am interested in this topic. Does anyone know if the blue flag taxi tour rate would be higher on a Saturday? I have heard that regular taxi rates could be 50% higher on Saturdays than week days. 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

There are ships that will be in port on Saturdays and Sundays, starting in April.  

The OP knows that. They are thinking that since there will be ships on the weekend then logically Bermuda would have ferry service to St. George’s. I do think it would be logical to run ferry service to St. George’s on Saturday. That thinking is understandable. But for whatever reason, financial, union agreements, whatever, they have not been running the Orange Route on the weekend. Also NCL which has a ferry and runs complimentary service to St. George’s for NCL passengers has ships that call at the Dockyard on the weekend and they don’t run it on the weekend. 

41 minutes ago, afto said:

I am also arriving on the Summit in May and am interested in this topic. Does anyone know if the blue flag taxi tour rate would be higher on a Saturday? I have heard that regular taxi rates could be 50% higher on Saturdays than week days. 

Thanks.

There is no surcharge for Blue Flag taxi tours on any day. The hourly rate of $50  for 1-4, $70 for 5-7 stays the same any day. ( 3 hour minimum)  There is not a surcharge for metered taxis on a Saturday. The surcharges for metered taxis are on Sunday’s, holidays and midnight to 6:00 am.  Those are 25% for 1-4 passengers and 50% for 5-7. 

Edited by Charles4515

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no surcharge for Blue Flag taxi tours on any day. The hourly rate of $50  for 1-4, $70 for 5-7 stays the same any day. ( 3 hour minimum)  There is not a surcharge for metered taxis on a Saturday. The surcharges for metered taxis are on Sunday’s, holidays and midnight to 6:00 am.  Those are 25% for 1-4 passengers and 50% for 5-7. 

Thanks so much for that  -- I am happy to be wrong about the surcharge. This sounds like it would be the best option for us. I may check on my roll call and see if anyone is interested in sharing. Would you recommend trying to set up the taxi tour in advance, or would we be likely to find drivers waiting at about 8:30 on a Saturday morning in May?

48 minutes ago, afto said:

Thanks so much for that  -- I am happy to be wrong about the surcharge. This sounds like it would be the best option for us. I may check on my roll call and see if anyone is interested in sharing. Would you recommend trying to set up the taxi tour in advance, or would we be likely to find drivers waiting at about 8:30 on a Saturday morning in May?

There likely would be drivers there between 8:30 and 9:30 but my advice would be if you are sure you want to do a taxi tour to set it up in advance. Setting it up in advance would guarantee it and you would also be able to arrange it with a driver who has good reviews. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There likely would be drivers there between 8:30 and 9:30 but my advice would be if you are sure you want to do a taxi tour to set it up in advance. Setting it up in advance would guarantee it and you would also be able to arrange it with a driver who has good reviews. 

Thanks for this advice; it is much appreciated.

Been to BDA many times, just not that recently, so I can't comment on the schedules.  But...

It's a wonderful island to experience.  Why not take a combo of ferry/bus connections out to St. George and see the beautiful island scenery and people watch as well.  You will be on your own time and can stop and do whatever you want along the way.

It could be a very fun day!  No rush, just take it all in and enjoy.  Stop in Hamilton and sit somewhere (on a balcony) and watch Front Street...then on to St. George.  Ask any directions you need from the bus driver or ferry mates, Bermudians are very friendly folks.  Warwick Long Bay is beautiful...get off the bus there and walk on the beach a bit....lots of beautiful rock formations to walk thru...then get back on a later bus.

I would get a map and plan a day with stops along the way.  Sometimes the fastest, most efficient transportation is not the most interesting.  

Edited by PelicanLvr

Thanks for all of the responses.

Obviously lots of choices and options, will continue to research as our cruise gets closer.  The final answer may become more obvious based on the weather at the time.  

We have been to Bermuda on a number of occasions, just have never been docked in the West End on a weekend without the option of taking the direct ferry through the cut to St. George.  Most likely to ferry to Hamilton and bus from there.

Thanks again, all.