RCL Stock

heidikay

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

If I cannot get a cruise for what I think is a good price-point, I will just hold onto the cash or try something else. 

I completely agree.

"

Angie Stephen was promoted to SVP international for the Royal Caribbean brand.

Formerly VP and MD Asia Pacific, she takes on the role held until recently by Bert Hernandez, who became president of Silversea Cruises.

Stephen is tasked with overseeing Royal Caribbean's growth across more than 80 countries, from Australia and China to those in Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America.

'Incredible experience and success'

Michael Bayley, president/CEO of Royal Caribbean International said Stephen brings 'incredible experience and success to this role,' from positions in sales and marketing to most recently leading the brand’s increasing popularity and achievements in Asia.

Royal Caribbean's international organization is comprised of representatives around the world and extensive teams based in Australia, China, Mexico, Singapore and Europe. Both collaborate with local partners and travel advisors to reach travelers through a variety of channels based on each market’s travel landscape and consumer behavior.

Exponential opportunities

'This is an incredibly exciting time for the vacation industry, a momentum that is reaching new heights between the introduction of the game-changing Icon of the Seas and the soon-to-debut Utopia of the Seas,' Stephen said. 'The opportunities to deliver even more memorable vacations around the world are exponential, and Royal Caribbean and our world-class international organization are perfectly positioned to make it all a reality.'

Stephen joined Royal Caribbean more than 25 years ago as a field sales manager in the US Midwest. She has held several roles across sales and marketing that included spearheading sales strategy, events, training and marketing. She also led the North America national accounts team and was responsible for the largest share of North America trade business.

Relocated to Asia in 2017

Stephen relocated to Asia in 2017 to lead the market development in China, developing sales distribution channels, brand marketing and partnerships. As VP and MD of Asia Pacific she oversaw the marketing, commercial and operational activity for the brand.

Royal Caribbean considers Stephen 'pivotal in driving a new level of success in the region and instrumental in realizing the resumption of cruising during the pandemic.' In fact, she led the way for Singapore to be the first market in the world where Royal Caribbean ships resumed sailing, in December 2020."

Angie Stephen moves up to SVP international at Royal Caribbean (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Thanks 1

This story ran on a couple of news wires today.  RCL is looking to hire 10k new employees this year mostly to staff new ships coming on line.  What I found surprising (but perhaps shouldn't have given ongoing service issues) is that in 2023 sea based head count actually shrank 6%.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-royal-caribbean-recruiting-thousands-173536125.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADHmP5K1YCaAUNgR9gfh0nqgL2ce8nU8Ptd-f_XHAPBVrCxItScIUnlFgYmnB51jYqz8WVUCThNolv1O-tvztwYKJKnAkc8L97DJgRL0-Viz6K7Cdefil8XMVef4VMIT_oy_ca1kZI-sclziTRrD_99qMXw53kR2sKdE-ibv_XWv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

RCL stock just reached a 52-week high today. Now trading at over $155.  

The latest trend is that discretionary spending is down on personal goods as retailers are fighting consumer inflation fatigue.

As of now, airlines have had record passengers this Memorial Day weekend. NCL is stating that they had excellent booking numbers.

Some of the investors are moving money into stocks involved with travel from consumer retail stocks.

I think the great predictor will be when airline passenger miles start to drop significantly.

2 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The latest trend is that discretionary spending is down on personal goods as retailers are fighting consumer inflation fatigue.

As of now, airlines have had record passengers this Memorial Day weekend. NCL is stating that they had excellent booking numbers.

Some of the investors are moving money into stocks involved with travel from consumer retail stocks.

I think the great predictor will be when airline passenger miles start to drop significantly.

Yes, the question is when.  However analysts have give RCL a target price of $172 in the near future - will hold on to it until then 🤞

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes, the question is when.  However analysts have give RCL a target price of $172 in the near future - will hold on to it until then 🤞

Usually analysts targets do move the price, however the targets are meant to be 12  month targets. Though people hear a higher target and traders pile in.

I'm kicking myself, I had 300 shares and sold and only holding 100 shares now. Wish I'd sold something other than  rcl. I'm moving and bought a condo.

I knew analysts kept raising their targets, and prices were up, but also I dont see the huge price Increases on rcl cruises we were seeing say 6  months ago, earnings were up 40% year over year beginning of this year, that has to slow down even if prices stay this high, growth of earnings year over year will slow by next year imo. 

It was time to get the move to a port city behind me. Get on with my life. I do admit I trade in and out of rcl, just this time I'm short of cash until my house sells. No sense beating myself up. Should have sold some exxon or chevron, oil instead. Usually I'm right on top of watching rcl trade and how it moves, but I've been on the move now the last week. Glad to hear rcl doing well. Today I'm relaxing and catching up with the market. 

I still predict earnings growth will slow, though several new ships are coming in which certainly will help with higher earnings, more berths to fill and  new ships higher prices. I'm still a rcl bull. I've sure missed all the economic news. I've said since last year those predicting a bunch of rate hikes was all political talk. If the govt spending isnt slowing inflation isnt dropping to 2%. Econ 101 if the govt is printing and spending money, it causes inflation. Now they are hoping for 1 cut, down from 6 predicted late last year. People need to use common sense. I dont see a end to either war we are spending on, hence govt isnt cutting. Then jan and feb ppi and cpi didnt show a drop in inflation and for reasons I dont understand were surprised. If I knew they knew and just hoping and wishing. 

Go rcl. Glad to see the market again today. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Last week CNBC reported on several occasions that cruise lines were discounting summer '24 Caribbean sailings due to slowing bookings.  Also cautioned of overcapacity in Alaska and Caribbean.  We'll keep an eye on q2 and q3 earnings.

Yea I think this is a good point. Also the reason earnings 1st qtr this year were up 40% was compared to covid prices a year previous. Prices are no longer going up up up. I've seen plenty of posts on roll calls to check your price, prices have dropped. The only reason for 40% yoy was compared to covid prices. Those days are gone. Maybe star and wonder still going to be high, but too many posts of price drops on harmony and older ships. CNBC had some news on ccl today but I couldnt catch what they were saying. Too many routes to coco cay if you ask me. This last drop none to Bermuda? Have to do celebrity. People are commenting on deals to the new adult beach close in. Almost giving it away. 

Compared to covid prices of course earnings are up a large percentage. Now that's gone. Or almost, when you compare to prices a year ago. I'd like to buy more shares, but not at 155. There was also some insider selling at 140, tells you it's getting toppy. And the consumer is showing signs of getting tapped out., the only thing running is nvda because it has the AI chips everyone wants. I'm not saying sell, just cautious, wouldnt buy more this high. I'm a hold, not a buy, not a sell, a hold. 

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Last week CNBC reported on several occasions that cruise lines were discounting summer '24 Caribbean sailings due to slowing bookings.  Also cautioned of overcapacity in Alaska and Caribbean.  We'll keep an eye on q2 and q3 earnings.

I have not been keeping close tabs on the Alaska market but there have been negative articles  about port changes which have an effect on "once in a lifetime" specific itineraries.

Experienced cruisers know that every cruise line has the right to change the itineraries but it hurts public relations when someone only books a cruise to get to a specific destination and is denied.

The other option is to avoid the cruise and just go directly to the desired location and check it off the box.

I can attest that the market for the third and fourth quarter 2024 Caribbean sailings is showing weakness.

For example, November 17th out of Bayonne for the Odyssey of the Seas was as high as $4,100 for a balcony double occupancy including taxes six months ago. It is being discounted to $2,210 as of today. If you go to a TA with group rates, it is down to about $1,950 and you get to pick your room.

Softness around the edges are showing their ugly head if you are in the business.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

CNBC had some news on ccl today but I couldnt catch what they were saying. Too many routes to coco cay if you ask me. This last drop none to Bermuda? Have to do celebrity. People are commenting on deals to the new adult beach close in. Almost giving it away.

Great example, Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore is no longer including Coco Cay in its itineraries starting September of 2025. This was a huge selling factor for that ship. RCI sacrificed it for larger ships using the island. I am not sure if that was a good decision. Time will tell.

The prices are stagnant. I do some mock bookings and there seems to be nearly 85% empty interior cabins available for double occupancy.

I know this is fifteen months out but compared to the post covid boom, I am hearing crickets when I compared the demand factor of the past year.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
Cay not Bay, darn fingers.

27 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Great example, Vision of the Seas out of Baltimore is no longer including Coco Cay in its itineraries starting September of 2025. This was a huge selling factor for that ship. RCI sacrificed it for larger ships using the island. I am not sure if that was a good decision. Time will tell.

The prices are stagnant. I do some mock bookings and there seems to be nearly 85% empty interior cabins available for double occupancy.

I know this is fifteen months out but compared to the post covid boom, I am hearing crickets when I compared the demand factor of the past year.

Coco cay 8 day on harmony was as high as $1700 pp ... yes its special from texas but prices are dropping like a rock.

FOMO was why people were booking into the future, FOMO for none stock people, I know you know, fear of  missing out.,when prices are rising people were booking out as far as they could for fear prices would keep going up. Prices finally hit a wall and a lot of people just said too much $$$, I'd rather go camping or whatever. 

Real estate I saw today prices dropped in 90% of the markets. Fewer new jobs available than up to now. I could go on with signs of weakness. Treasuries dropped because of job weaknesses. Treasuries had started to  ove up but dropped to lowest since feb. Most follow 10 year treasury as most important as the way it was crossing on charts signals weakness or even recession. These are just my random thoughts, if I wasnt moving I'm sure I'd have better figures. 

The reason job market was so tight was illegals were taking the jobs no one wanted so that kept the job market tighter than it would have been otherwise and hid the job weaknesses just now starting to show. Oil dropping and summer is usually when it goes up, not down. No one thing, just little signs like you mentioned. The govt is pumping money into the economy to make it look stronger. They say every president, either party pumps money into the economy about now before a election. We shouldnt be seeing these weaknesses this close to election.