LIVE from the EURODAM - CIRCLE HAWAII

sansterre

Day 16 (continued)

Today was towel animal day in the Lido.  Hundreds of towels made into animal shapes adorned every open space on the Lido.  (photo later)

There was also a class in towel folding and the Final Jackpot Bingo in the afternoon.  Then the Indonesian Culture Show took the MainStage.  I always enjoy their show, especially the dancing.  

Comedian Don McEnery was the MainStage evening entertainment. 

• Like 3

Day 17 (arrive Ensenada in afternoon)

Seas are quite calm today as well as past two days.  About 1:30 we cruised into Ensenada with many dolphins accompanying us in our wake.

It is a beautiful day, but no one will disembark here,  The stop is merely to clear customs but we were docked for about 5 hours.  Some think we may have refueled, but I'm not sure.  Originally we were to be in Ensenada from 2 until 10.  But now it is important that we all stay healthy.

DH and I enjoyed dinner in the Pinnacle.And around 7:30, just after a beautiful sunset, the Eurodam left for San Diego.

I understand (based on good authority) that the plan now is for the Eurodam to anchor off the West Coast of Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta.  Originally they were going to stay near Ensenada but Ensenada decided not to permit the Eurodam to stay.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

I understand (based on good authority) that the plan now is for the Eurodam to anchor off the West Coast of Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta.  Originally they were going to stay near Ensenada but Ensenada decided not to permit the Eurodam to stay.
?

Edited by CalendarWatcher
Forgot the quote

Docked in San Diego, crew being cleared at the moment and then hope they’ll let us start disembarking shortly.  Ship is going to Puerto Vallarta to dump garbage, then will be anchored offshore for now.

Got a letter this morning that a passenger on the Feb 16 cruise through the Canal, which we were on, tested positive. Thankfully this cruise of 17 days served as a quarantine period AND thankfully neither of us, who were among a small group that were on both segments, are exhibiting any symptoms so we hope that means we dodged that bullet. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CalendarWatcher said:

I understand (based on good authority) that the plan now is for the Eurodam to anchor off the West Coast of Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta.  Originally they were going to stay near Ensenada but Ensenada decided not to permit the Eurodam to stay.
?

No ships allowed to dock in Mexico for the next five weeks.

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Docked in San Diego, crew being cleared at the moment and then hope they’ll let us start disembarking shortly.  Ship is going to Puerto Vallarta to dump garbage, then will be anchored offshore for now.

Got a letter this morning that a passenger on the Feb 16 cruise through the Canal, which we were on, tested positive. Thankfully this cruise of 17 days served as a quarantine period AND thankfully neither of us, who were among a small group that were on both segments, are exhibiting any symptoms so we hope that means we dodged that bullet. 

Have a safe flight home.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Got a letter this morning that a passenger on the Feb 16 cruise through the Canal, which we were on, tested positive. 

Was there any additional info on this noted in the letter?  We were on the Feb 16 Canal cruise, and this is the first I've heard of this.  Thankfully both of us have shown no symptoms in the two weeks since we disembarked on Mar 1, but because one of us is vulnerable due to underlying health conditions, I am a bit concerned about a possible exposure.  

Have been living vicariously through your updates the past two weeks - I absolutely loved our two week trip on Eurodam.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

No ships allowed to dock in Mexico for the next five weeks.

Source please. Rotterdam has been in Puerto Vallarta since Sunday and is still there. Westerdam is enroute to PV, and Eurodam, from what you just read, was in Ensenada yesterday 

12 hours ago, AAL said:

I understand that the Westerdam is also going to PV.  (Previously, it was going to Juneau but that has changed.)

The Westerdam and Maasdam are in Hawaii today discharging the crew members and I assume using a bare-bone crew to get the ships back to the West Coast ports.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Source please. Rotterdam has been in Puerto Vallarta since Sunday and is still there. Westerdam is enroute to PV, and Eurodam, from what you just read, was in Ensenada yesterday 

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/cruise-ship-arrivals-cancelled-for-5-weeks/

6 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Thanks for that article! Looks like the Mexican authorities have made exceptions for Rotterdam (disembarking pax) and Eurodam (customs clearance) We'll see what happens when Westerdam arrives with crew only

Thanks for the cruise along reports. I was so hoping our Apr 15 cruise was going to happen but I'm resigned to believe that it's a no go. Still holding out for HAL to cancel but am ready to cancel Apr 10 if not. ( we had booked to come into Seattle 2 days prior to cruising) I'm actually more leery of spending 2 days in Seattle than the actual cruise. Hope all got home safely today and stay healthy thru this crazy time. 

To to all be safe, stay healthy and God bless.

11 hours ago, TarkusRocks said:

Was there any additional info on this noted in the letter?  We were on the Feb 16 Canal cruise, and this is the first I've heard of this.  Thankfully both of us have shown no symptoms in the two weeks since we disembarked on Mar 1, but because one of us is vulnerable due to underlying health conditions, I am a bit concerned about a possible exposure.  

Have been living vicariously through your updates the past two weeks - I absolutely loved our two week trip on Eurodam.

Thanks!

Email me at barb dot h at Comcast dot net and I can scan the letter and email it if you’d like.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, AAL said:

I understand that the Westerdam is also going to PV.

Both the Westerdam and the Maasdam are going to be docking in Honolulu Harbor to refueling and replenishing supplies, food etc.

But no passengers or crew will be allowed to leave the ships.

Day 18 (arrival in Sand Diego)

We traveled throughout the day and just got home this morning so this is written on March 19, the day after our cruise ended.

The Eurodam docked early in the morning approximately 6 a.m.  We did not leave the customs dock in Ensenada until approximately 8 p.m.

As we went down to the MDR for breakfast, I noticed our final bill in our mailbox as well as a letter.  I scanned the letter in the elevator, and noticed the words "one person had tested positive for coronavirus" and I began to see myself in 14 day quarantine.  But as I read more thoroughly, the letter explained that the case was a person who had sailed on the cruise previous to ours.  Whew!

They do not know what cabin that person was in, nor what areas of the ship frequented.  Additionally, the letter mentioned that since our cruise was 18 days, symptoms would have shown up by now and there have been no cases on board that are concerning.  The letter also mentions attention to cleaning with a substance that attacks viruses including coronavirus and concludes with wording about what to do if you experience any coronavirus symptoms.  The reverse side listed information from a website and some common symptoms.

I'm doing this for memory, and I know I kept the letter.....which is far more accurate.  So I will look for that letter, take a photo of it and post it.

(Will also post photos of the Hilo market and whale watching as promised.)

Disembarkation went smoothly, some staff were lined up to wish us Aloha and Mahalo.  We only needed to pick up our bags and show our passports,  then boarded a bus supplied by our TA to the nearby airport.

It was a rainy day, security lines were long, flight out of San Diego was pretty full (some people had been rerouted due to their flight having been cancelled).  Our late-night flight out of Charlotte was half full.  

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tommui987 said:

Both the Westerdam and the Maasdam are going to be docking in Honolulu Harbor to refueling and replenishing supplies, food etc.

But no passengers or crew will be allowed to leave the ships.

A little behind as the Westedam has already been there and has left for the west coast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

Day 18 (arrival in Sand Diego)

We traveled throughout the day and just got home this morning so this is written on March 19, the day after our cruise ended.

The Eurodam docked early in the morning approximately 6 a.m.  We did not leave the customs dock in Ensenada until approximately 8 p.m.

As we went down to the MDR for breakfast, I noticed our final bill in our mailbox as well as a letter.  I scanned the letter in the elevator, and noticed the words "one person had tested positive for coronavirus" and I began to see myself in 14 day quarantine.  But as I read more thoroughly, the letter explained that the case was a person who had sailed on the cruise previous to ours.  Whew!

They do not know what cabin that person was in, nor what areas of the ship frequented.  Additionally, the letter mentioned that since our cruise was 18 days, symptoms would have shown up by now and there have been no cases on board that are concerning.  The letter also mentions attention to cleaning with a substance that attacks viruses including coronavirus and concludes with wording about what to do if you experience any coronavirus symptoms.  The reverse side listed information from a website and some common symptoms.

I'm doing this for memory, and I know I kept the letter.....which is far more accurate.  So I will look for that letter, take a photo of it and post it.

(Will also post photos of the Hilo market and whale watching as promised.)

Disembarkation went smoothly, some staff were lined up to wish us Aloha and Mahalo.  We only needed to pick up our bags and show our passports,  then boarded a bus supplied by our TA to the nearby airport.

It was a rainy day, security lines were long, flight out of San Diego was pretty full (some people had been rerouted due to their flight having been cancelled).  Our late-night flight out of Charlotte was half full.  

There was as article on the front page of the San Diego Union that 1 passenger from our ship/cruise tested positive and 2 others were tested and are awaiting results.

We have decided to self quarantine for 14 days.

1 hour ago, usetobemoss said:

There was as article on the front page of the San Diego Union that 1 passenger from our ship/cruise tested positive and 2 others were tested and are awaiting results.

We have decided to self quarantine for 14 days.

I just checked online, and the paper is saying there were no cases of coronavirus.