Cruise Tour land accommodations

SDWalt

Hello-

I can't find anything about this anywhere so I have a question.

All the cruise tours indicated 'standard' accommodations.  If you book a full suite on the cruise portion of the tour is it possible to 'upgrade' to a suite at the hotels if they are present?  Or does everyone always get just a 'standard' room?

Thanks!

We have taken 3 cruise tours. Two to Alaska and one in the British Isles.

Your hotel room has no correlation to your level on the cruise.

Rarely are you at a hotel for more than one night. In Alaska we did 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights at Princess Mt. McKinley Lodge. Truthfully, on these tours you are so busy that all you do is sleep and shower in the room. No time to sit around and relax. Hardly spent more than a few hours in the room.

All the rooms we had were "standard" but quite nice. We have never needed more.

That said, I would call Princess if you really want to upgrade.

I will totally defer to Mr Thrak on this , as he is the person who has taken the connoisseur package - the highest Princess has for the land portion … but again, I will be interested in how that relates to the cruise accomodations

inside - connoisseur vrs. suite do it own you own ?

We are booked on a 17-day Connoisseur tour this June.  I was told by Princess that the Connoisseur group would get ‘better’ rooms than other tour groups.  Not sure what that meant.  When asked for clarification, is appears that the rooms may better views, be closer to lobby, etc.  

We’ll see.

I was  kind of thinking along the same thing.    But we have four in our suite on the Pacific princess. there are two bathrooms or it would have been two cabins.   So port intense and we wanted the kids to be able to have club class dinner with us.  The club class was sold out and they said they are fine sharing the cabin.    I was wondering if by chance we might get two hotel rooms but figured we would get two double beds - gee - hope they are queens.    When checking prices, between cruise only and cruisetours, the 3rd and 4th are paying the same as 1 and 2 for the land portion.    But it is not a deal breaker.   I was thinking about checking at the desk at each lodge to see what the cost would be to upgade the kids to their own room.  LAst time we did it, we really were not in the rooms much - just shower and sleep.

Accommodations at the lodges were mostly like a standard hotel room. At Denali lodge we did get rooms that faced the river rather than the parking lot and business across the street. The first time we were there we watched a mother moose and her calf come out to eat on a little island in the middle of the river each night and could watch them from our window if we wanted.  At Kenai we had a good sized room with a wood stove and split wood available for it. We had a wooden porch with a wooden rail. The porch had wooden rocking chair and a wooden sliding chair. The view from our porch was spectacular. At McKinley lodge you can ask them to call you if the mountain comes out from behind the clouds. You have to repeat this request each day. I found that out the hard way and when we were getting ready to leave early one morning we went out and discovered the clouds had all gone away. I ended up snagging a few pics with my phone rather than the camera.

image.thumb.jpeg.0cd261b9c17db99c4c6adbb25904dc78.jpeg

We've only done one cruisetour, and on that we booked an inside for the cruise portion. We had two nights at Copper River in a second floor room with a spectacular view. Two nights at Denali in a very ordinary room with a nice view of the next building. One night at the Captain Cook in Anchorage, and again back in a room with a spectacular view. It was high up in one of the towers, and it was a corner room with big windows for great views in two directions. So, inside cabin and two out of three really nice rooms. No complaints about the room at Denali. Adequate and ordinary.

We booked mini-suite Off The Beaten Path cruisetour.

We had 1 night McKinley, 2 nights Denali and 2 nights Cooper River

All three, we had spectacular views from our rooms at all three lodges. 

Our friends traveling with us, linked reservations, same cruise cabin type, had rooms at McKinley and Denali that looked either into the grounds or other buildings. And Copper River, theirs overlooked the front of the building/parking lot/walking trails.  

So - apparently, somewhat luck of the draw. 

Supposedly, Connoisseur tours get the best rooms, but I'd be hard pressed to figure out how they would have been better than what we had! 

The rooms are basic, clean, utilitarian.

Enjoy.

We did a connoisseur tour in 2015 (stays in Fairbanks Princess Lodge, McKinley Lodge, Denali Lodge and Kenai Lodge).  We did have what appeared to be the best views/orientations (ie, over scenic areas, not the parking lots..).   

I have done multiple cruisetours, Canada New England &  Washington DC (Colonial America) most recently. Princess uses decent Hotels so upgrades are not really worth any extra expense. The hotels were Hiltons in the US and Fairmonts in Canada (they have a good reputation) but I didn't care for because they are old and the rooms tiny. 

Edited by cruzsnooze