Seattle-Vancouver

tomcruiser1234

Ok,

Will Seattle be the next port that X will not visit and or allow people to fly through 15 days before boarding any cruise.

This probably is a hot topic but several cruise either start or pass through the city?

I truly hope not.  We cruise through from Honolulu to Vancouver on April 20

One can never tell but personally I doubt it.   At least my reading is that all of the deaths and contraction has been at a specific Washington State Nursing Home and Hospital.  While the first case was from an unknown origin it appears it is a cluster and is being contained.

• Like 2

Have seen little discussion about Seattle or any other US ports regarding Corona. Since there are no other northern US ports in Oregon or Washington with multiple cruise ship berths; if Seattle closed the effects on Alaska cruising would be huge.

As I type this (Monday 3/2/2020 at 4 PM Seattle time), no actual Seattle public school has been closed for cleaning due to COVID-19.  There are individual schools across the state that have been closed for a day or two 'out of an abundance of caution', with the decision being made at the local level.

Best thing you can do is wash your hands and use healthy common sense.  Keep calm and carry on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As I type this (Monday 3/2/2020 at 4 PM Seattle time), no actual Seattle public school has been closed for cleaning due to COVID-19.  There are individual schools across the state that have been closed for a day or two 'out of an abundance of caution', with the decision being made at the local level.

Best thing you can do is wash your hands and use healthy common sense.  Keep calm and carry on!

Thanks for your clearing up information like that before it goes viral.  

• Like 2

Interesting. CNN reported the school cleaning just after VP Mike Pence did his briefing  at 4:30 central time. Not sure what to believe sometimes. I gotta believe Ferry -Watcher from Washington State has a better idea what’s happening in his own State. 

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Local news here in Seattle did say closings were due to cleaning.  Here's one from Q13 and one from KOMO.  KOMO did say "abundance of caution," but also said it was to clean.  Additionally, a buddy of mine has kids in school in Shohomish (unsure exactly what school).  The parents were told the school was being deep cleaned.  

https://q13fox.com/2020/02/26/bothell-high-school-closed-for-cleaning-thursday-over-coronavirus-concerns/

https://komonews.com/news/local/bothell-high-school-closing-thursday-due-to-coronavirus-concerns

But in full discloser, it's all hearsay to me.  I'm in Kitsap.   

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thanks for the voice of reason :)  Hoping to see you onboard in about 79 days or so ;)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jhskick said:
15 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

I hope things don’t go crazy out there. They just reported 48 schools have been closed for cleaning in Seattle but will open Tuesday.  Things can change quickly. Cruise company have really got their jobs cut out for them 

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for your clearing up information like that before it goes viral.  

11 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Interesting. CNN reported the school cleaning just after VP Mike Pence did his briefing  at 4:30 central time. Not sure what to believe sometimes. I gotta believe Ferry -Watcher from Washington State has a better idea what’s happening in his own State. 

The information concerning the school closures was provided by Ian Saltzman, Superintendent, Everett Public Schools, during an interview by CNN. I'd think that he of all people should know the truth of the matter.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The information concerning the school closures was provided by Ian Saltzman, Superintendent, Everett Public Schools, during an interview by CNN. I'd think that he of all people should know the truth of the matter.

https://www.everettsd.org/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=145753&ViewID=6446EE

March 2, 2020 | 7 p.m.

FAQs have been updated: Can students engage in remote or online learning? What should I do if my student, or another family member, has an underlying health issue making them more vulnerable? I’ve read in most cases people who contract the COVID-19 virus have mild symptoms and take care of themselves as they would with any flu, is this true? Click link for answers and also get resources, best practices for prevention of this virus/flu, and link to messaging sent to school families and staff. REMINDER: Jackson HS on regular schedule Tuesday, March 3.

As per the Everett Public School District website regarding the high school mentioned above - Jackson High is "on regular schedule Tuesday, March 3."  

16 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

There have been schools closed for cleaning. Appears about a dozen in the Seattle AREA. They are not in Seattle proper as of yesterday.

The cases at the long term care facility according to the Post Intelligencer in Seattle are being tracked. This requires locating every person who visiting the facility in about the last 3 weeks and having them quaranteen followed by testing. That is likely hundreds if not over a thousand individuals.

What makes this harder is COVID was stated as being contagious without symptoms and the repeated testing done on Diamond Princess passengers suggests that early on an infected person might test negative.

• Like 1

For those of us in Seattle, Everett is a distance.  I can see why people would say ‘no Seattle schools closed for cleaning.’  For others outside the area, you’d probably say any city between Olympia and Marysville is Seattle.  Semantics, but different definitions.  

The severe cases that you hear about are in Kirkland, which is a suburb across the lake, in an area that I doubt many cruisers would visit.  It’s a very nice community with a charming downtown, but I don’t think many cruisers make it over there.  I live in Seattle proper, a 20 minute walk or one light rail stop away from the retail core.  I’m honestly not seeing much difference, except the usual shortages of hand sanitizer, alcohol, TP, and antibacterial soap.  Apparently my neighbors weren’t diligent about washing their hands before all this.  

I can’t tell any of you what to do, but the view from the streets, from this guy at least, is everything seems to be going normally, if at a heightened alert status.  We just had an office tower closed downtown for a thorough cleaning after one of their employees came into contact with someone with Covid-19, even though they tested positive.  

Edited by Prost Seattle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prost Seattle said:

For those of us in Seattle, Everett is a distance.  I can see why people would say ‘no Seattle schools closed for cleaning.’  For others outside the area, you’d probably say any city between Olympia and Marysville is Seattle.  Semantics, but different definitions.  

The severe cases that you hear about are in Kirkland, which is a suburb across the lake, in an area that I doubt many cruisers would visit.  It’s a very nice community with a charming downtown, but I don’t think many cruisers make it over there.  I live in Seattle proper, a 20 minute walk or one light rail stop away from the retail core.  I’m honestly not seeing much difference, except the usual shortages of hand sanitizer, alcohol, TP, and antibacterial soap.  Apparently my neighbors weren’t diligent about washing their hands before all this.  

I can’t tell any of you what to do, but the view from the streets, from this guy at least, is everything seems to be going normally, if at a heightened alert status.  We just had an office tower closed downtown for a thorough cleaning after one of their employees came into contact with someone with Covid-19, even though they tested positive.  

I live in Bellevue, closer to Kirkland and Redmond and I can say that it is the same here... heightened alert, excessive purchases of household cleaners, but mostly people carrying on.  Even as the death toll has risen to 9 now, the majority of those poor people were related to the Kirkland Life Care Center.  I really, really hope there aren't any rash decisions made regarding travel in and out of the area.  

30 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

I live in Bellevue, closer to Kirkland and Redmond and I can say that it is the same here... heightened alert, excessive purchases of household cleaners, but mostly people carrying on.  Even as the death toll has risen to 9 now, the majority of those poor people were related to the Kirkland Life Care Center.  I really, really hope there aren't any rash decisions made regarding travel in and out of the area.  

It’s great that so many folks from the Seattle area are offering information   We really love all of Washington State  We are really looking forward to another visit  Again all of you folks from the area please keep this thread going  Its great to get first hand information 

best

• Like 1