Cruise Ships are still in New Zealand waters today - 15th March 2020

After yesterday announcement that "NZ PM announced No cruise ships to visit NZ until 30/6".

Cruise ships that are all ready New Zealand waters are still going around NZ 😁

Last night I got this news release from the New Zealand Cruise Association: 

89739651-191325342299456-608701011928180

Golden Princess in Akaroa - 15 March

Ruby Princess is in Napier today:

ru-bridge15032020.jpg

Azamara Journey & Celebrity Solstice is in Dunedin:

poecam-15-03-2020-09-55am.jpg

Silver Muse is in Picton:

hvp20200315-095930-0711.jpg

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

They were already in NZ . 
As I understand it the ban applies to any ships coming , and it’s not a ban as such .Jacinda asked ships not to call . They are still free to come as are normal commercial and trade shipping , it’s just that if a cruise passenger gets off they have to self isolate themselves for 14 days .So not much point really . 
14 days isolation applies to ALL  arrivals in NZ from Sunday night .

• Like 1

To me self isolation is hardly enforceable, I mean who is going to do it?  Like some Aussie flies into NZ for a 10 day holiday,  no way are they going to sit in their hotel for the entire time doing their self isolation.  Likewise the 20,000 Asian students that recently flew into Australia for Uni etc, they were suppose to 'self isolate.'   I bet many did not.

The Ruby Princess is currently in Akaroa with suspected cases of corona virus on board.  Two of the three people on board  ring tested had been in contact with people known to be positive in the previous 14 days - why were these selfish people allowed to board the ship???  So much for tightened screening by Princess. 😟

Meanwhile in Wellington, an Australian is in isolation at a Wellington hotel.  He had been to France and came to NZ from Australia.  He had been tested in Australia and received his results in NZ.  Why on earth would you choose to travel when you were waiting for test results regarding a highly contagious disease??  More selfishness.   🤬 Stay home people!

Edited by kiwichick62
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

The Ruby Princess is currently in Akaroa with suspected cases of corona virus on board.  Two of the three people on board  ring tested had been in contact with people known to be positive in the previous 14 days - why were these selfish people allowed to board the ship???  So much for tightened screening by Princess. 😟

Meanwhile in Wellington, an Australian is in isolation at a Wellington hotel.  He had been to France and came to NZ from Australia.  He had been tested in Australia and received his results in NZ.  Why on earth would you choose to travel when you were waiting for test results regarding a highly contagious disease??  More selfishness.   🤬 Stay home people!

You mean the Golden Princess 😉

29 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

Is it Ruby or Golden in Akaroa with the suspected cases? 

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

They were already in NZ . 
As I understand it the ban applies to any ships coming , and it’s not a ban as such .Jacinda asked ships not to call . They are still free to come as are normal commercial and trade shipping , it’s just that if a cruise passenger gets off they have to self isolate themselves for 14 days .So not much point really . 
14 days isolation applies to ALL  arrivals in NZ from Sunday night .

So it not an enforceable ban, the ships can still call into NZ ports, despite NZ Govt wishes. But the then the Wharfies Unions will not work the wharves for such vessels, I can see that scenario.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Golden

kiwichick62 reported the wrong ship 😞

Yes, apologies, it is the Golden Princess.  I am still wondering why they were allowed to board with all the extra screening that Princess is supposed to be doing.  🤔

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So it not an enforceable ban, the ships can still call into NZ ports, despite NZ Govt wishes. But the then the Wharfies Unions will not work the wharves for such vessels, I can see that scenario.

It is enforceable in as much as if the passengers get off they will have  to self isolate for 14 days before they can tour around or get back on the ship .They cannot have a blanket ban as a ship may still have to call for refuelling etc .

35 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

Yes, apologies, it is the Golden Princess.  I am still wondering why they were allowed to board with all the extra screening that Princess is supposed to be doing.  🤔

Have you considered the possibility that they were not aware of having been in contact with a person that had tested positive?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Have you considered the possibility that they were not aware of having been in contact with a person that had tested positive?

According to a NZ Herald report 2 of the 3 suspect cases have been in contact with an infected case in the last 14 days .

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12316776

8 minutes ago, boeckli said:

I guess that it is possible that they found out that a person close to them tested positive halfway through their cruise 🙂. Wonder what the protocol is for cases like this - phone the ships medical centre straight away?  Hoping the best for all involved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kiwichick62 said:

They possibly had no symptoms when they boarded.

Leigh

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

They possibly had no symptoms when they boarded.

Leigh

This is from the Princess website and is part of the new pre-boarding checks - 

• Any individual who has been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19 within 14 days of the start of the cruise, will not be permitted to board the ship.

9 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

This is from the Princess website and is part of the new pre-boarding checks - 

• Any individual who has been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19 within 14 days of the start of the cruise, will not be permitted to board the ship.

The two of three who have been in contact with an infected person possibly didn't know that this person was infected when they boarded and this is going to be a continuing problem.

Edited by possum52

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It is enforceable in as much as if the passengers get off they will have  to self isolate for 14 days before they can tour around or get back on the ship .They cannot have a blanket ban as a ship may still have to call for refuelling etc .

They might have to self isolate, but will they? 

7 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

They cannot have a blanket ban as a ship may still have to call for refuelling etc .

We don't even have a blanket ban on nuclear-powered ships! The legislation grants immunity to ships in distress.

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

To me self isolation is hardly enforceable, I mean who is going to do it?  Like some Aussie flies into NZ for a 10 day holiday,  no way are they going to sit in their hotel for the entire time doing their self isolation.  Likewise the 20,000 Asian students that recently flew into Australia for Uni etc, they were suppose to 'self isolate.'   I bet many did not.

They are enforcable in law in New Zealand. You can get up to 6 month in prison and/or a $4000 fine for failing to comply.