Email with details of cancellation compensation

semlohah

Just now received emails for my upcoming cruise that was canceled because it falls during the 30 day standdown. Compensation is a To differ a cash refund now and receive 125% of what was paid for the cruise towards a future cruise to be booked by December 31, 2021 but Kruse does not have to be taken by that date. In addition I would receive $250 shipboard credit. There is a second option of a full refund now which is just 100% of what was paid.

Dear Valued Guest, 

Due to unpredictable circumstances evolving from the global spread of COVID-19, and in an abundance of caution, Holland America Line has made the difficult decision to voluntarily pause global operations of its 14 cruise ships for 30 days, starting March 14, 2020, impacting sailings scheduled to depart through April 14, 2020.

As we’ve seen throughout the course of the past week, the global situation continues to get increasingly more challenging for cruise ships to operate in. As a company, we decided we must take a leadership position as a global citizen and do what we can to help stabilize the situation.

For more information on Holland America Line’s voluntary 30-day pause, please visit our News page.

We know that you were looking forward to your cruise and are very sorry to be bringing you this disappointing news. At the same time, we know that you support our strong commitment to the health and safety of our guests, our crew, and the communities that we visit.

We are offering two forms of compensation for you to choose from:

Option #1 — Please give us the chance to welcome you on board a future cruise. Defer your refund and receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid plus an onboard credit of US$250, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2021. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line will be refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services. The terms and conditions of the Future Cruise Credit appear below.

Option #2 — If you do not choose the 125% future cruise credit plus US$250 onboard credit, a 100% refund of all monies paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. This includes Holland America Line’s Flight Ease air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses back to the original form of payment.

To inform us of your compensation preference, please visit https://book2.hollandamerica.com/cp/ between March 15 and April 1, 2020. Guests who do not select an option prior to April 1, 2020 will be automatically refunded

• Thanks 1

I just got mine as well.  The way I read this is that if we go with Option 1, the money I spent for the Cancellation Plan (through HAL), will be refunded to my credit card.  Do you read that the same way?

It’s a little odd the way they describe the insurance protection refund using different language under each, but in appears refundable under both options.

We had a sweet, sweet deal on a Neptune suite, so we lose that value (as I anticipated we would) but this is a fair offer. 

I would read it as $ 250 per person  shipboard  credit. This is because I booked a cabin with a non-immediate family member. I would take option one but they could take option two.  It doesn’t say everyone in the cabin hast to choose the same option.

28 minutes ago, Woofumz said:

Interesting.. I was assuming it was 250 per stateroom.  Be nice if you were correct.

I'm hoping it's per person because DH got an email and so did I. Also it doesn't say "per cabin". 

26 minutes ago, tallyjohn said:

Also a bit unclear if the credit for “base cruise fair” means taxes, fees, amd port expenses inclusive.

I'm confused about that too.  Option 2 does mention taxes, fees and port expenses but option 1 does not. 

I have not received the email yet for our March 18 Eurodam Hawaii cruise.  I used a future cruise credit to bring down the price of this cruise, so the base fare I paid is very low.  I guess the FFC would be lost.  Not happy about that about that. 

Karen

So those of us who cancelled two days before do not have the option to receive a cash refund for our cruise fare for a cruise the line itself cancelled. Our only option is a FCC for the value of our own money - and it has to be booked a year earlier (by 12/31/20) or we lose many thousands of dollars.

That’s life,

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, elkay68 said:

Still have not received email, however our cruise is not until April 4th. Thank you for sharing.

Mine is April 15th and I got it a few hours ago. Check your spam folder.

Edited by marianoam

39 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

So those of us who cancelled two days before do not have the option to receive a cash refund for our cruise fare for a cruise the line itself cancelled. Our only option is a FCC for the value of our own money - and it has to be booked a year earlier (by 12/31/20) or we lose many thousands of dollars.

That’s life,

It really sucks.  I'm in the same situation as we canceled our 03/29 NS cruise on Monday and then HAL cancelled it along with all others on Friday.  I'm hoping there will be a look-back period of at least a couple weeks as Princess is doing.  We will certainly cruise with HAL again but I'd rather have cash-in-hand to use for something else in the meantime.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ninefishes said:

How about airfare or pre/post- cruise hotel stay booked independently?  Some folks might have booked these with non-refundable term.  Would HAL compensate these?

I don't think so.  They will help, they said, for air fare booked independently with  a change fee.  I think most of the airlines are waiving their change fees, though.  We booked a hotel in London for a few nights, I don't think we'll get that back.  Fortunately our hotel in Fort Lauderdale is cancellable.  

I received the email several hours ago, regarding my 3/21 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.  I understand I'll be getting a refund on everything except the base room charge if I select option 1.  My plan is to rebook this weekend via the HAL website (I've already decided which cruise, the date, and the room, just need to pull the trigger), then will call Monday to have the FCC applied to said reservation.  I then wait 8 long months for the same balcony suite I was planning to enjoy next week.

Edited by neuronbob

OK,  just when I thought I had this figured out I am  confused again. The cancellation letter said there would be a link to a web page to exercise your options. That page is now up. It (the form attached on the web page) makes it appear that you have to choose, if you take the credit option (option 1) , what cruise you will rebook to right NOW.I had no idea, if I am right, that this is what was required. How can we use the credit to the end of 2021 when most ships don’t even have their itineraries posted past next (2021) April?