ALASKA ?????-Why are we NOT hearing from Princess!

cruising deacon

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

Has anyone looked at posts on the other cruise lines' forums to see if they have any more info about Alaska than we have with Princess?

Yes. Several. Too much time on my hands.

Nobody knows nuthin' outside of closed borders, closed ports, social distancing.

Anyone proposing Alaska cruising before July (or maybe 2021) should review the stages of grief. I was only seeing denial, but bargaining (waive the PVSA) is cropping up.

10 minutes ago, caribill said:

Has anyone looked at posts on the other cruise lines' forums to see if they have any more info about Alaska than we have with Princess?

This also affects all the Canada/NE Sailings that start/end from the east coast ports (Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Montreal, Quebec, etc) in the same time frame and nothing announced there either.

ALL the cruise lines have been deathly silent on the entire issue and as of today are all still offering April through June cruises to be booked as normal .........  I personally think they are just waiting to see if ANY ports will be open to handle the ships and when before they start announcing cancels/changes.  Meanwhile they will continue to allow voluntary cancels and issue FCCs for the cancel fees imposed so they don;t have to refund $$

I expect nothing announced before the first week in April when I also expect to see the cruise lines extend the "pause" on worldwide operations for an additional 30 days through Mid-May at minimum.  I doubt even at that time if we will see any announcement on the remaining May/June sailings.

• Like 1

I agree with the pause extension. No port is going to allow a mass of travelers until this passes and who knows when that will be. I am due out on a 6/6 Alaska Cruise,out of Vancouver. If the Canadian port closure is still active I assume a Seattle departure and a work around USA jones act can be done because bullshit walks and money talks.

any ad ice on canceling now vs just wait and see. Wife and I have been to Alaska and Alaska Cruise before but this is a 3week Vancouver-Cruise and drive around Alaska that we are looking forward too. 

56 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Anyone proposing Alaska cruising before July (or maybe 2021) should review the stages of grief. I was only seeing denial, but bargaining (waive the PVSA) is cropping up.

I know, I know. Today my wife ordered me to “just unpack the damn suitcases” sitting on the guest room bed that I have meticulously been organizing, even though the sail date isn’t until May 27. Ah well. Denial and anger are over. Acceptance beckons. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lderochi said:

I know, I know. Today my wife ordered me to “just unpack the damn suitcases” sitting on the guest room bed that I have meticulously been organizing, even though the sail date isn’t until May 27. Ah well. Denial and anger are over. Acceptance beckons. 

I hear ya, Iderochi.  Had two long bucket list cruises this year - 1st already cancelled- had suitcase packed. The 2nd coming to final in 5 weeks- won't happen, just waiting to see if they cancel first.

We MUST cancel tomorrow to get all but our deposit back as cash. After that it’s 50/50 and I’d rather have that refund and potentially lose $200 than almost $4000!

...and yes, I’ve been looking at a couple other boards (Celebrity, our usual line, and Oceania, which we sailed with last year). No-one has any more to offer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Put on your big boy pants - turn on the news- watch what is happening in Europe and North America. Make your own informed decision.

Curious.

Why does it bunch up your shorts that I retain hope?  How does my hope harm you?  

I find in interesting, as if my hope threatens you somehow.

• Like 3

There is a difference between hope and reality. Canadian ports including  Vancouver and Victoria are CLOSED until July 1st (minimum). How do you realistically expect this cruise to happen?

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

There is a difference between hope and reality. Canadian ports including  Vancouver and Victoria are CLOSED until July 1st (minimum). How do you realistically expect this cruise to happen?

Wow.  Some people's children, am I right? 

There are more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Here is more reality:

Princess has yet to cancel the cruise;

Princess seems intent on resuming cruising after the 60 day moratorium.  During the moratorium, Princess has not been sitting about doing nothing.  Princess has put in place new boarding procedures, new ship cleaning and serving procedures, preparation for if/when things go wrong.  Canada has closed ports, in fact USA & Canada have closed the border.  So has USA & Mexico.  Princess has been cruising for a minute and likely has list of ways of addressing the port situation that may or may not work in May;

Right now governments are pretty intent on stopping cruising.  Well, cruising and every other damn thing.  Businesses are already failing.  Unemployment is already going nuclear.  Worse, there is no toilet paper!  Things are already so bad the government is panicking and contemplating throwing money in random directions in the hope that it will make a difference.  

After 8 weeks of this economic meltdown, governments and business will be looking for ways to get the economic wheels grinding again.  Governments and business will find or create reasons to declare victory against COVID-19, so everyone should go back to work, go out to eat, and go by stuff.  Oh, and take that vacation. 

I HOPE coronavirus won't kill many people.  I HOPE the economy won't kill many people.  I HOPE the economic recovery is fast and painless.  I HOPE some people's children won't get their shorts twisted in a knot because, my gawd!, someone might be wrong on the internet.  Some of these hopes are already lost causes, others are still alive.  

And yeah, I HOPE our cruise to Alaska goes as planned.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Wow.  Some people's children, am I right? 

I HOPE coronavirus won't kill many people.  I HOPE the economy won't kill many people.  I HOPE the economic recovery is fast and painless.  I HOPE some people's children won't get their shorts twisted in a knot because, my gawd!, someone might be wrong on the internet.  Some of these hopes are already lost causes, others are still alive.  

And yeah, I HOPE our cruise to Alaska goes as planned.

I hope it all works out for all. Princess Cruises to Alaska are more likely to port out of Scottsdale, AZ than Seattle or Vancouver anytime in reasonable future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, nooptere said:

I hope it all works out for all. Princess Cruises to Alaska are more likely to port out of Scottsdale, AZ than Seattle or Vancouver anytime in reasonable future.

Since my cruise is out of neither of those places, I'm in the clear.   Thanks for the support.

I can't grasp why hoping Princess works things out tweaks some people to such an extent.

Misery loves company, but it won't be mine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nooptere said:

I must respectfully disagree.

Chances of a cruise from scottsdale are zero, although it would certainly be an appealing market for princess!

Chances of cruises which originate or end in Vancouver, nearly zero ... as this is exactly what canada has banned.

Chances of round trip cruises from Seattle to Alaska, non-zero.

Assuming the corona virus situation is such that ships coulde visit any alaskan port...

The obvious thing stopping them would be the PVSA requirement that the ship call at a nearby foreign port.

This is exactly the requirement of ships cruising from the west coast to Hawaii (round trip).

Princess (and other cruise lines) meet the PVSA with a service call in ensenada; when no

passengers are allowed to go ashore.

It would not be unreasonable to think that such an arrangement could be made with Victoria ... where

a service call is made, and no passengers go ashore, but the terms of the PVSA are met.

Although I think the probability is non-zero, I don't realistically see cruises making a comeback until

there is a corona virus vaccine.

If one person is sick out of 3600 passengers and 1000 crew, it has an effect on everyone

on the ship, as well as subsequent cruises on the ship.

Edited by Roberto256

1 minute ago, Roberto256 said:

I must respectfully disagree.

Chances of a cruise from scottsdale are zero, although it would certainly be an appealing market for princess!

Chances of cruises which originate or end in Vancouver, nearly zero ... as this is exactly what canada has banned.

Chances of round trip cruises from Seattle to Alaska, non-zero.

Assuming the corona virus situation is such that ships coulde visit any alaskan port...

The obvious thing stopping them would be the PVSA requirement that the ship call at a nearby foreign port.

This is exactly the requirement of ships cruising from the west coast to Hawaii (round trip).

Princess (and other cruise lines) meet the PVSA with a service call in ensenada; when no

passengers are allowed to go ashore.

It would not be unreasonable to think that such an arrangement could be made with Victoria ... where

a service call is made, and no passengers go ashore, but the terms of the PVSA are met.

I guess we will see... You are in the middle of the prairie, I'm at ground zero. We have a different view.

Regards.

8 minutes ago, nooptere said:

The Topic is:

ALASKA ?????-Why are we NOT hearing from Princess!

Wasn't addressing you to begin with, and no need to shout on here.  Most are just following this thread to learn of new information regarding Alaskan cruises, not necessarily all this back and forth arguing about cruising out of Arizona (of all places)???  Thread got off topic, plain and simple, and I wasn't the only one to notice it.  Done.

Princess is doing a better job than Cunard. Cunard requires final pay 120 days in advance. Princess is 60 days. Gives you more flexibility. I am forced to cancel my Sept cruise in may to avoid losing my deposit. 

I have had some minor issues with Princess but overall I think they are doing the right thing. 

It’s a hard decision to make , but I think people should just cancel before they lose money. When cruising starts again, probably after we get a vaccine, prices will be really good. I don't want any fcc. 

2 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Wasn't addressing you to begin with, and no need to shout on here.  Most are just following this thread to learn of new information regarding Alaskan cruises, not necessarily all this back and forth arguing about cruising out of Arizona (of all places)???  Thread got off topic, plain and simple, and I wasn't the only one to notice it.  Done.

The west coast is in various states of disaster right now. Of course, Alaska cruises all leave from the west coast. Some other parts of the country seem out of touch with what is happening because of the virus controls here.  Really out of touch. I suspect Princess Cruises is holding off decisions because they stand those hundreds of millions of dollars. Yes, frankly I am doubtful for the season because of what I am seeing in communities, that the Alaska season is savable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nooptere said:

The west coast is in various states of disaster right now. Of course, Alaska cruises all leave from the west coast. Some other parts of the country seem out of touch with what is happening because of the virus controls here.  Really out of touch. I suspect Princess Cruises is holding off decisions because they stand those hundreds of millions of dollars. Yes, frankly I am doubtful for the season because of what I am seeing in communities, that the Alaska season is savable.

I appreciate your information above.  We also live in Research Triangle Park area in Raleigh, NC, and are very well aware of the situation and how serious it is.  I have 2 adult children that work at Duke University and hear about things daily.  We chose to cancel our Alaskan cruise because of all this regardless of the 10K we spent.  Praying that all can survive this situation the best possible way and hopefully continue to cruise again one day!