The new medically-fit-to travel forms for passengers 70 and older

joeinsb

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Would you mind reposting the over-70 health letter....I don't see it in this thread and wanted to check something on it - thanks!

Realize this is not the Regent letter but it is the current letter for RCL all of their companies and since this was originalliy started by CLOA might have enough information to answer your questions.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf

Serious question - I keep seeing references that age discrimination is illegal in the US, and certainly it's covered by the EEOC.  However....does that apply to non-employment related situations? 

After all, there are still a ton of legal age-discriminatory housing developments - e.g.,those reserved for seniors and discriminating against those under a given age.

I wonder if it's similar to ADA in the US and its limited application to privately owned or leased housing.

2 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Hi Wendy,

Per Regent must follow HIPAA Privacy Rules.

I don't know what that is, but the only reason I asked the question was to make the point that perhaps she had some chronic illness that would not have affected any other passengers.  Like COPD, which is very common in our generation, or some sort of cancer.  I.e., she possibly had no communicable disease.

(Of course if it had been me, I would have been going around telling people that I wasn't contagious.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

50 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Serious question - I keep seeing references that age discrimination is illegal in the US, and certainly it's covered by the EEOC.  However....does that apply to non-employment related situations? 

After all, there are still a ton of legal age-discriminatory housing developments - e.g.,those reserved for seniors and discriminating against those under a given age.

I wonder if it's similar to ADA in the US and its limited application to privately owned or leased housing.

Believe you are absolutely correct that discrimination is only applicable to employment under EEOC.  After all, otherwise how would we ban people under 21 from alcohol, those younger than 18 from voting, under 16 for driving and so many residential facilities that restrict younger than 50/55, etc. 

And based on the form from NCL I posted and the poster stating that the 70 and over form is on the NCL website, plus the age requirements i poste above and many others,  the age discrimination posts are in fact erroneous and not applicable for cruising and many other things and should not continue to be posted.

Edited by rallydave
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I don't know what that is, but the only reason I asked the question was to make the point that perhaps she had some chronic illness that would not have affected any other passengers.  Like COPD, which is very common in our generation, or some sort of cancer.  I.e., she possibly had no communicable disease.

(Of course if it had been me, I would have been going around telling people that I wasn't contagious.)

Wendy, HIPPA is a US privacy law that protects disclosure of any and all medical information about you to anyone other than you among other things.  Complete privacy even from your spouse.   HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

Age will not create an issue for the implementation of The Certification of Medical Fitness for over 70 years of age.  If you feel that it is inappropriate it can be assaulted utilizing ADA.  However, the applicability of ADA in its entirety is suspect given past court rulings.  A recent action by the Justice Department gives hope that it would be enforced in most aspects to the extent that existing disabilities could not be discriminated against.  One such accommodation for a disability would be "use [of] a portable oxygen concentrator (10 years) and a scooter."  Any discrimination based upon such a disability would be an obvious violation of the provisions of the ADA.

Edited by scuba diver
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Wendy, HIPPA is a US privacy law that protects disclosure of any and all medical information about you to anyone other than you among other things.  Complete privacy even from your spouse.   HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996.

Right, thanks.  That's what prevents our condo association in Florida to ask people why they need their (fake) emotional support animals.  Et al.

But I was just referring to people talking.  I guess it would be difficult to initiate a conversation with an obviously ill, coughing person to say, "what are you suffering from?"  But under the new normal, I think I would probably do it.

8 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Not sure that any of these laws/rules apply in this situation. So-called emotional support animals are not allowed on cruise ships, and for that matter, neither are legitimate service animals.

Of course legitimate working service animals are allowed on cruise ships under ADA.  And everywhere else, as they should be.   Geez louise.  

The employment laws in the U.S. are often used in legal cases regarding discrimination.  There has never been an age discrimination issue for people under 40 (which is why "over 55" is permitted but you will not find anywhere that allows only people UNDER 40.  

Discrimination is a touchy subject for some classes of people.  However, since the employment law went into effect, I have not heard of discrimination against people OVER 40.

No matter how this would play out in court, this is a discrimination issue (and one that makes no sense under the current situation).  If this were implemented, I have no doubt that there would be lawsuits (as there should be).  While cruise lines can certainly put restrictions on the health of a passenger - in terms of communicable diseases - it would be risky for them to try to put the restrictions on anyone over the age of 40.

How is getting on a cruise ship somehow equivalent to an employment discrimination case?  Unless you're a potential employee?  

Also, just read almost any issue of AARP about age discrimination in employment....if I read that sentence right about 

"However, since the employment law went into effect, I have not heard of discrimination against people OVER 40."

Edited by greykitty

Greykitty - sorry but I have no idea what your AOL Mail post is about.  Please explain.

In my experience, discrimination is discrimination.  Lawyers love to point to discrimination lawsuits (having nothing whatsoever to do with employment) that have gone before the courts.  

There is a lot to read about discrimination in the U.S.  Here is something about permissible age discrimination against younger people:

Housing Discrimination Laws: Changes and Additions 

In 1988, Title VIII was amended by the Fair Housing Amendments Act, which:

• Expanded the coverage of the Fair Housing Act to prohibit discrimination based on disability or on familial status. This Amendments Act also allowed for the creation of designated senior citizen housing communities. 
  • Established new administrative enforcement mechanisms with Housing and Urban Development (HUD) attorneys to bring actions before administrative law judges on behalf of victims of housing discrimination.
  • Revised and expanded Justice Department jurisdiction to bring suit on behalf of victims in federal district courts.

In 1995, the Housing for Older Persons Act of (HOPA) made it legal to enact some forms of discrimination for housing communities defined as 55 and older. Such communities are allowed to not rent to families who don't have any residents falling into the senior citizen definition. This was intended to protect housing availability for senior citizens. All other protected classes still enjoy the same protections in officially designated 55 and older or 62 and older living communities. 

Aol segments was inadvertent and now deleted. Thanks for pointing it out.  Still unsure how EEOC would apply in a non employment related case.  And come to think of it how are CLIA attorneys so bad that they didn’t think of law suits while reviewing that form?  

and I’m sure you see reports every day about age discrimination in employment and how it’s getting more difficult to win those cases?

Edited by greykitty

39 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Not sure that any of these laws/rules apply in this situation. So-called emotional support animals are not allowed on cruise ships, and for that matter, neither are legitimate service animals.

I did not bring this up with respect to cruising, but to the U.S. laws.  Sorry.  And yes, legitimate service animals are allowed, although I'm not sure how Regent accommodates them.

24 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Aol segments was inadvertent and now deleted. Thanks for pointing it out.  Still unsure how EEOC would apply in a non employment related case.  And come to think of it how are CLIA attorneys so bad that they didn’t think of law suits while reviewing that form?  

and I’m sure you see reports every day about age discrimination in employment and how it’s getting more difficult to win those cases?

I was going to respond to your post but went to the Regent website for another reason and found the following (this refers to the Pre-Embarkation Public Heath Questionnaire that I have tried to get posters to understand is in place (rather than the over 70 form).  This is the same information that we received last week regarding our yet to be cancelled cruise.

Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who in the last 30 days have come into known direct contact with anyone who has traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html). Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in identified COVID-19 quarantine or containment zones within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C. 
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Right, thanks.  That's what prevents our condo association in Florida to ask people why they need their (fake) emotional support animals.  Et al.

But I was just referring to people talking.  I guess it would be difficult to initiate a conversation with an obviously ill, coughing person to say, "what are you suffering from?"  But under the new normal, I think I would probably do it.

Hi Wendy,

We wanted to ask her; however, we felt this might be too bold.  Additionally, when we offered our water and cough drops in the small van, she took them and offered no reason for her illness.  Thus, our belief that she had to have been contagious.  Although each cough is different, this was not the cough of someone with COPD.  Interestingly, the cough slightly improved at the conclusion of our sixteen day cruise.  As a result, she most likely was quite ill/contagious when she boarded and was not honest with the simple health form that all of us were used to completing prior to boarding.

Hoping that this terrible illness our world is suffering brings to the forefront the importance of guarding against others who are ill and transferring to those who are not.  Of course, Corona virus patients can be asymptomatic, this woman was not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

Of course legitimate working service animals are allowed on cruise ships under ADA.  And everywhere else, as they should be.   Geez louise.  

Per the Regent Ticket Contract, required Service Animals are allowed on Regent ships.  There is, of course, some paperwork involved and the guest is liable for any and all issues surrounding said animal.  

That said, I've never seen an animal on board in my roughly 100 nights aboard.  So yes, allowed, but not common in my experience.

Oh, and that's solely 'working, required service animals'.  Do NOT get me started on people and their 'emotional support animals' - that's a whole different thread...and one with probably a lot of swear words and angry emoticons...   😡  🤬   👿

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Per the Regent Ticket Contract, required Service Animals are allowed on Regent ships.  There is, of course, some paperwork involved and the guest is liable for any and all issues surrounding said animal.  

That said, I've never seen an animal on board in my roughly 100 nights aboard.  So yes, allowed, but not common in my experience.

Oh, and that's solely 'working, required service animals'.  Do NOT get me started on people and their 'emotional support animals' - that's a whole different thread...and one with probably a lot of swear words and angry emoticons...   😡  🤬   👿

Agreed, although, to be clear, I donate monthly to K-Nines for Warriors and defy anyone to say those  dogs don't provide the most worthy service to so many of our returning service people. I'd be proud, and humbled, to be in any room, plane or ship with one of those dogs and the people they help.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I was going to respond to your post but went to the Regent website for another reason and found the following (this refers to the Pre-Embarkation Public Heath Questionnaire that I have tried to get posters to understand is in place (rather than the over 70 form).  This is the same information that we received last week regarding our yet to be cancelled cruise.

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who in the last 30 days have come into known direct contact with anyone who has traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html). Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in identified COVID-19 quarantine or containment zones within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Thanks for finding that form.  Although, I do wonder how many people would court bad karma by fibbing on their Questionnaire or contacts with those having COVID-19.  And kind of surprised they left other chronic conditions off this time around - I know my own physician would refer me to a psychiatrist if I thought about boarding a cruise ship any time soon with controlled T2 diabetes and controlled HBP, as well as being 66.  But, works in progress....

And while I'm sure this form is fairly current, doesn't it look as though it's from another time and world with the specific countries they list.  Although at least they cover themselves by mentioned CDC and then currently unnamed countries.  

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I wish that I had posted it and I believe that I threw it away (along with all of the paperwork associated with our March 14th cruise - don't know what I was thinking when I did that)..  As I recall, it was a very short form - not a lot of detail.   Sorry that I couldn't help.

Jackie, you posted this on another thread on March 12

This is what we received from Regent (via our TA).  I also have the medical form.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR VOYAGE 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner, 

To ensure the safety and well-being of all Regent guests and crew worldwide, all guests aged 70 and older must now provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel at embarkation. 

This simple and easy-to-complete Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form must be signed by a qualified treating physician and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of your cruise’s embarkation, or by seven days prior from the start of your travel if you are traveling for more than seven days before your voyage. 

The Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form can be downloaded from the Travel Health Advisory page on www.rssc.com, which also contains the proactive and comprehensive set of preventative measures Regent has enacted to help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew while on board. 

Please bring the completed form with you for embarkation. Guests aged 70 and older without the Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel completed will be denied boarding. 

We appreciate your attention to this important matter, which will help Regent continue to maintain among the most stringent health and safety protocols in the hospitality industry and help ensure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board. 

Sincerely, 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers: 

· United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123 

· United Kingdom: 02380 682280 

· Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140 

· Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200 

· Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

As to the actual form, I cannot find it on the RSSC site or the NCL site

36 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Reading the fine print since I believe the entire or most of it is covered by teh CDC identifying most of the US as having widespread ongoing transmissions no way can Regent or any other cruise line adhering to thes very stringent rules start cruising until more than 30 days has passed once the CDC determines that ongoing transmissions are over which under the current circumstances won't be before May, we are looking at a minimum of June and probably longer for cruises and that doesn't cover the entire world.

• Like 1

That form was only going to be required on ships boarding in the USA. A waiver was issued for a few trips and then cruises were cancelled and it was no longer in effect. It is unknown if it will be implemented again in the future.

50 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Agreed, although, to be clear, I donate monthly to K-Nines for Warriors and defy anyone to say those  dogs don't provide the most worthy service to so many of our returning service people. I'd be proud, and humbled, to be in any room, plane or ship with one of those dogs and the people they help.  

They absolutely do provide a worthy service.  Which makes me all the more upset with the people who insist on bringing their self-proclaimed chihuahua or guinea pig or duck or whatever on flights or wherever.  I've actually overheard people telling other people how easy it is to 'beat the system' so they can bring Scraps on board with them.  Fires me up to no end...

As a retired USAF member and borderline crazy dog lover, I understand how therapeutic these animals can be - and I love to see the good work they do.  Just as I hate to see other people who abuse the system.

IMO, it not only shouldn't be illegal to ask for documentation for these animals, it should be mandatory.

• Like 1