for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

23 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone. I made corned beef and cabbage when we were in Minneapolis so licking up take out for tonight. 

Lois, happy 65th! Wishing you a special celebration and an enjoyable visit with your family. I join the others in saying that the approval for help with the drug cost is fantastic. Certainly arrived at just the right time. 

Kat, an Alaskan cruise sounds perfect for you. Glad you booked. Something special to look forward to. I get emails from HAL and saw some good deals. 

Melissa, sending good thoughts your way for your check up. 

Melody, how are you doing?

Cynthia, hope your packing is going well. Packing for that many days is daunting.

Anita, good to see you posting. Congrats to your son and to you and DH also!

Sherri and Redbird, hope all is good with both of you. 

More rain on the way next week. So many evacuations all over CA-sigh…..

Sharon

We're glad we did this cruise but looking forward to being home.  Happy to say we stayed Covid free!

• Like 4

Good morning, Sis and Bil arrived but my sis has a cold☹️.....actually she didn't feel well enough to go to dinner with us for my birthday last night.  She said my bil and I should go anyway....so we did. The restaurant is a place I go to often and they were nice enough to give us a bottle of bubbly for the occasion.  When we got back home my sis was fast asleep. At least she feels a bit better this morning. I made her breakfast and she ate it and a cup of tea. 

Have a good Sunday everyone🙂

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, purduemom1 said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone. I made corned beef and cabbage when we were in Minneapolis so licking up take out for tonight. 

Lois, happy 65th! Wishing you a special celebration and an enjoyable visit with your family. I join the others in saying that the approval for help with the drug cost is fantastic. Certainly arrived at just the right time. 

Kat, an Alaskan cruise sounds perfect for you. Glad you booked. Something special to look forward to. I get emails from HAL and saw some good deals. 

Melissa, sending good thoughts your way for your check up. 

Melody, how are you doing?

Cynthia, hope your packing is going well. Packing for that many days is daunting.

Anita, good to see you posting. Congrats to your son and to you and DH also!

Sherri and Redbird, hope all is good with both of you. 

More rain on the way next week. So many evacuations all over CA-sigh…..

Sharon

Hi Sharon!  California is certainly have a rough year so far.   Glad to know you are doing well.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 8:58 AM, awhfy said:

Here’s my foot update. I’m assiduously doing my pt. I go in once a week, rest is at home. They took me out of the boot (unless there’s snow & of course we’ve had snow since they told me that!!). I can immerse my foot on Monday, I’m really looking forward to a bath!!!  I’m recovering well & my balance is so much improved already. Thank you all for the comments & support, it’s much appreciated. Melody

Hi Melody, sounds like you are doing great!  

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is my last weekend before departure (leaving next Friday morning for Haneda airport and Yokohama). I'm not going into Tokyo this time -- have done it up twice and this time I want to take it easier for the two nights until I board the Westerdam.

I am feeling a little 😱 right now looking at all I have to do between now and then. I have to work through Thursday, so I'm trying to get as much done today and tomorrow as I can...

Hi Cynthia, hope you have a wonderful trip!  It sounds amazing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

You have rain on the way, I have more snow ahead.  Towns and cities up here are starting to think about the potential of flooding when the thaw happens.  Last time there was this much snow (actually we've surpassed it), there was massive flooding down in Salt Lake City - they took sandbags and turned the main N/S street downtown, State Street, into a "river" to cope with the flooding from City Creek and others.  

Melody - keep on keepin' on!!!  PT is a hard thing to keep engaging in at your best, I know.  I did a year 3/week for my shattered leg.  If I had gone at it half-a$$ed, I wouldn't be walking!  Enjoy that first bath/shower unencumbered!!

Lois - I hadn't even started looking at stuff.  I just picked this cruise out of the sky when Cynthia mentioned it.  My first thought are always food, it seems.   I remember Anita doing a car museum which had those period dresses for the ladies, too.   I was already going to just walk through Sitka because I was definitely interested in the Russian history.  

Cynthia - you're going to have a magnificent time with your Japan cruise!  It's a long time to be gone that far away!  

At least with me, I've got jeans, pants, leggings, insulated mini skirts, vests, jackets and shirts to go.  I should fit right in with Alaska!  The big thing is which wool hat to take and do I take my tie-dye boots or my trail runners (both GoreTex'd).  I did forget I have to buy a new rain shell - when I last wore mine it was, well, less than water-proof.  It is 10 years old, after all!  Sales abound right now for that kind of stuff so I just have to figure out which one I want (I've got a 20% off 1 full price item at REI and a Patagonia outlet nearby).   With our season extended, I'll have a whopping 4 days to get everything packed and stuff at home done before I fly out.  No pressure...

Kat, we loved our Alaskan cruise!  I’m looking forward to your pictures!

Sherri🙂

On 3/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, MrToblerone said:

Congratulations on booking the cruise Kat ,its always good to have something to look forward to !

Happy belated birthday Lois and great news about your cancer medicine being funded .

Im going for my first check up next week but Im thankful that my hair is starting to grow although very slowly.I am hoping to have a pixie cut by the time we cruise in July

Melissa, sending you lots of positive thoughts from sunny Florida!  And pixie cuts seem to be very popular!  Your hair will look great by July!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Melody, spring has sprung at your house! Looks like you had some fun with your Easter decorations. I have been meaning to get out the hand painted eggs thst I purchased in one of the shops in Amanda, Iowa. They use raw eggs and over time the insides dry up without affecting the painted exterior. I have an Easter themed ceramic basket that I use to display them. 

Sherri, yes lots of rain with more expected later tonight and tomorrow. At least we don’t have to shovel it as Kat has been doing when the rain moves east and turns to snow. 

Lets see, Cynthia leaves this aFriday, Lois leaves in April I believe and Kat the end of April. I’m lining up my virtual cruising, looking forward to details and maybe some pictures. Anyone else have a cruise coming up?

Do you have any cruise plans in the works?

• Like 1

Hey Melody, I made you chicken cacciatore recipe yesterday. It turned out really well.  I added onions, mushrooms and garlic since I am one of those people that can never do a recipe as written!😂. My husband like it.

Lovely Easter decorations! 

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Melody, spring has sprung at your house! Looks like you had some fun with your Easter decorations. I have been meaning to get out the hand painted eggs thst I purchased in one of the shops in Amanda, Iowa. They use raw eggs and over time the insides dry up without affecting the painted exterior. I have an Easter themed ceramic basket that I use to display them. 

Sherri, yes lots of rain with more expected later tonight and tomorrow. At least we don’t have to shovel it as Kat has been doing when the rain moves east and turns to snow. 

Lets see, Cynthia leaves this aFriday, Lois leaves in April I believe and Kat the end of April. I’m lining up my virtual cruising, looking forward to details and maybe some pictures. Anyone else have a cruise coming up?

Do you have any cruise plans in the works?

Actually, we have a cruise in April on Celebrity Apex.  We sailed on this ship last year and my husband really loved it so booked another one.   Then in July, our son is bringing his family from Australia to Florida.  They wanted to do a cruise so we are taking them on. short 4 day cruise on Independence.  I think one of our other sons may be able to cruise with us, almost a complete family cruise.😂

Our next trip is next week as we are driving up to northern VA to stay with the grandkids while their parents go house hunting in SC.  Should be fun!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Hey Melody, I made you chicken cacciatore recipe yesterday. It turned out really well.  I added onions, mushrooms and garlic since I am one of those people that can never do a recipe as written!😂. My husband like it.

Lovely Easter decorations! 

Sherri🙂

I’ve added onions & garlic before (never mushrooms as I’m allergic). Glad your husband liked it, I like easy recipes with minimal cleanup

Hi girls, Sherri, sounds like a fun time with the family🙂 speaking of family......I ended up with a nice visit from sis and bil. They are still here in town but are staying with good friends of theirs for the next 4 nights and they go back to Mexico on Saturday. I wasn't sure how things would work out (I am so used to being on my own)..........but we got along surprising well but I have to admit, I am glad I have my house back🙂

I am now doing laundry and had a hair cut this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone! You don't know me but my name is Audrey. I am Debbie (CruiseKitty's) daughter. I knew my mom LOVED connecting with her cruise friends on this board and I'm happy I found this thread. You guys seem like such a tight knit group. 

I wanted to let you know that my mom passed back in November. She passed at home surrounded by my dad, myself, and my sister. She had a beautiful funeral a few weeks later. 

I'm not sure if she was able to update you guys on her last few cruising endeavors but her Mediterranean cruise she did back in May of 2022 was fabulous. It was different than their other trips but it was special in its own way. My parents ended up upgrading to business class seats on the flight home so that was special.

We were lucky enough to also go on an Alaska cruise with her in September. My parents went and so did my husband and I. It was a truly magical experience. Her number one goal was to see the whales do their bubble net fishing in Ice Straight Point. We lucked out and were on a tour boat with only about 6 other people so there was so much room and no one was fighting for a spot to see anything. She wasn't feeling well that day and had enough room to lay down for a nap so that was nice. I am pleased to say that the whales blew their bubbles and leapt up to catch their fish RIGHT in front of us. It was one of the most spectacular things we'd ever witnessed and right after my mom said, "If that's the only thing I see this trip I am satisfied." That was all she wanted and she got it. 

That trip went better than we all expected and it truly gave her a pep in her step to be onboard again. We had another cruise booked for Thanksgiving but unfortunately she passed on Embarkation Day so we never made it to that trip. 

I know that this probably isn't the update that you wanted to hear but I wanted to share in case anyone was left wondering what happened to her. She definitely made the absolute most out of the time she had left and cruised until she couldn't cruise any longer. 

Hope you all are doing well and I'm sorry for the sad news.

• Like 2

OMG......Audrey, thank you so much for letting us know about your Mom and yes, many of us would think about her all the time and wondered how she was doing.  My sincerest heartfelt condolences go out to you and your entire family. If you come back here and check this thread, you will always be welcomed. Give your Dad our very best please. It sounds like that last cruise was wonderful and I hope you have the best memories!!!!!

Thanks again for taking the time and letting us know this sad news.

Thank you for the kind words, Lois. She didn't deserve the ending she got but she more than earned her rest. We are all so incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to make the memories that we did.

We're taking good care of my dad. It was always their plan to go on a Galapagos cruise for my dad's 60th birthday so he is still planning to do that in honor of her in a few years when that milestone comes around for him. My husband and I are taking my dad on the Best of Scandinavia cruise in June of 2024. We're not going to let him stop cruising. My mom made us all promise to be ok after and to keep traveling so that's just what we're doing. I'm actually trying to encourage my dad to do a 6 back to back cruise starting March 2025. That would be a back to back to back to back to back to back cruise I think? LOL 75 days of 6 different itineraries on the same ship starting in Sydney, Australia March 3rd and finally ending up in Vancouver May 16th. That would be a story to tell!

• Like 1

Audrey, thank you for sharing this sad, sad news with us.  I think everyone has thought frequently about your mom since she shared the news of her prognosis.  It is comforting to know she had time to do some amazing trips and make those great memories with your family.  

Sherri

• Like 2

Audrey, thank you so much for finding this thread and letting us know the sad news. All of us have missed your mom’s posts as she was always so caring and upbeat. I think of her often even though we never met, I considered her a friend as I do the other posters on this thread. 

I am so glad that she was able to take that Alaska cruise, realize a dream and make lasting memories for her family. She did share a few posts and and picture when she and your dad were in Italy. She joked about her gallon bag of meds and your dad’s gallon bag of snacks.

I want to extend my sincere condolences to you and your family and to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about your plans to support your dad as he travels this new path. 

As Lois mentioned, you are welcome to post here anytime We have a lot of fun discussing different topics as well as supporting one another when needed. 

Again, thanking you for updating us. Debbie has been and will continue to be missed.

Sharon

• Like 2

Ah Audrey. My sincere condolences to your family on the loss of your Mom. Debbie had the best posts & we all miss her. I’m glad any suffering is over & she got to witness the whales. You sound like a strong woman & your Mom would be proud of how you & your Dad are carrying on. She’ll always be with you. Thank you for the news, albeit sad news. Melody

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruiseKitten22 said:

I know that this probably isn't the update that you wanted to hear but I wanted to share in case anyone was left wondering what happened to her. She definitely made the absolute most out of the time she had left and cruised until she couldn't cruise any longer. 

Audrey, thank you so much for this update. Debbie had let us know she was facing something tough but she always had such a positive attitude. I hoped that, when she stopped posting, she was saving all her energy for a few remaining adventures and it sounds like she had them. That makes me smile. 

Even before COVID I enjoyed her posts here on CC, but as you said we have grown into a very connected group since then via this long thread. You mom is, and will continue to be, very much missed among us and many others.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your kind words. It is comforting to know that others found her to be as wonderful as I knew her to be. She was always positive all the way up to the end. I never saw her shed a tear. Funny story... you guys were the first people she told about her illness. Other than my dad of course. I know she felt a strong connection to you all. My parents didn't tell my sister until June of last year and then told me and my husband in July. They held on to that news for a long time but as soon as she got that mesothelioma diagnosis she told you guys and I am SO very grateful that she had people to turn to. I'm happy to know my parents weren't navigating things alone. 

She truly was SO positive about almost all things in life. She was such a light and I am happy to hear that others felt the same 🙂 

"Gallon bag of meds and gallon bag of snacks" sounds exactly like something my mom would say lol

We had an entire 70lb suitcase dedicated to her medication and hydration materials on the Alaska cruise. An incredibly kind ticket agent at the airport waved the fees for us since it was medical supplies. What an angel. We had SO much luggage. It was a sight to see! And we all had a good laugh about it the whole time. Always positive vibes with my mom around 🙂

• Like 6

Audrey, thank you for sharing with us how your mom handled her illness. I don’t recall that she ever told us her actual diagnosis, although we knew it was serious.  She kept the details private because she wasn’t sure if her family read this thread and wanted to tell you in her own way. As the mother of adult children I can emphasize with this. Knowing how she handled her illness I have to say she is truly an inspiration to all who knew her.  
Take care,

Sharon

• Like 2

Audrey ,I am so sad to read about your Mum.I agree with everyone that the way she handled her illness was an inspiration.I was so sad to read that she was ill and then worried when she stopped posting.I discovered this thread when I was ill and found all the posts so lovely to read and then started to write the odd post.I loved reading about Debbies garden, it sounded like she she had green fingers .I have spent days planning two cruises while I thankfully recovered and can imagine how these precious times with her family were so special.Great idea for your Dad to keep cruising. 

• Like 2

Hi girls, looks like I caught my sister's cold🙄....I am leaving for Greece 2 weeks from Saturday so I better BE BETTER by then! No fever (thankfully) but runny nose and sneezing involved.......I took some Night time Nyquil last night so I slept pretty much through the night. Of course now sis and bil are  staying elsewhere and they are on  the mend LOL........hoping this cold won't last too long!

• Like 2

@Lois R  Sorry to hear you have a cold. Two weeks should be enough time to shake it. Good luck!

Everyone -- I am leaving tomorrow morning. My flight is around 14 hours 😭, just can't wait....  I will be boarding the ship on Monday the 27th and will be onboard 28 days.

I don't usually post much while I'm traveling -- too many other fun things to be doing. But I will keep good notes on everything and report back once I'm home again.

• Like 1