for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I finally feel better today although still tired. Today is a sea day so I can take it easy. 😒  The ship is rolling a bit today and there was just an announcement that we’ve had to slow down significantly due to some engine issue… hopefully it won’t impact our arrival time tomorrow. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Purple Hays, happy early birthday wishes! A cruise is the perfect way to celebrate and I hope your DH is doing better and also looking forward to the cruise.

Kat, that is quite a pile of snow you posed with! I too think that outfit will be totally ok in the main dining room. 🤞that Covid doesn’t show up.

Cynthia, good that you are feeling better. No fun being sick on vacation. 🤞that engine issues won’t significantly impact your itinerary. 

Melody, the pic of your grand dog is so cute! How are you doing? We had coffee with friends this morning and a woman came in using a knee scooter. She did a great job maneuvering it to her table. She said she has been using it for 2 weeks and has 6 more to go.

Lois, how is the packing/planning going? Won’t be long now, will it?

Take care all.

Sharon

• Like 1

Today we were docked in Kagoshima, apparently known as the “Naples of the East” due to its active volcano and lovely Bay setting.

I did an “on my own” day by hopping a ferry over to the separate small island on which the volcano (called Sakurajima) sits. Very easy. While there I had some tonkatsu ramen for lunch and then had to try the local specialty: ice cream dusted with the volcanic ash! This is my second foray into ice cream with volcanic ash, having sampled it in Sicily last October near Mt Etna. Soon I will be an expert, lol! 🍦

B5652DC2-D218-4B0B-914A-9924AA202AFF.thumb.jpeg.8df6913e0dd1eaeb9a02b9b332fe553b.jpeg27C31497-7D47-4C99-88C1-D143D224C0D5.thumb.jpeg.37e0fdd65363cf9a42bf1a1bfbd01a1f.jpeg

• Like 4

Purple - early Happy Birthday!  You know, April is the best month for birthdays 😸

Snow, snow, snow.  but, fortunately, not a bad here as everyone predicted.  Maybe 5" on the driveway.  Up at the resorts, they are saying 9" and 12" of new.  Some more supposed to come today.

I used my 50% off birthday coupon from Sweaty Betty to buy a new pair of hiking boots.  Nice Merrell Moab 3 Mid GTX.  They are a bit more rugged than my Chameleons so I can alternate depending on where I'm going.   I wasn't particularly in the market for boots, but that 50% was nice.  I didn't see anything else on the site this time that I would want.  I can always use footwear!!

My gosh, it was BORING at work.  My co-worker couldn't make it up from Salt Lake (the interstate was bad over the summit), so it was me and the maintenance guy.  I just hung out and listened to music and looked some more at Alaska ideas.  Today will be more of the same.  At least it's my Friday.  But, it will be a little sad as 2 of my owners are leaving Thursday and today will be the last time I see them until next Winter.  

OOTD:  my black jeans and a hoodie.  

• Like 1

I recant the "not as bad" comment.  When I drove through the snow on the driveway and looked at my tracks, there was more than 5", maybe 8".   The first 4 miles driving to work was riduculous - about an inch of crusty icy snow breaking down as more people drove on it.  The drive up the hill was fine - just wet.  It's so weird how we have little micro-conditions around here!   My co-workers couldn't get up the mountain again, so it's just me and the maintenance guy again.  

OOTD update:  changed my mind and went with my regular faded jeans and my white&blue striped shirt.  

• Like 1

Cynthia, just have to ask, what does volcanic ash taste like? Or does the ice cream mask its flavor? Are there any benefits or is it a novelty? I bought bar soap in Juneau that was made of volcanic ash and other ingredients. Bought 4 bars for gifts and getting it thru security was a bit difficult. TSA couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me what the issue was. 

4 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Cynthia, just have to ask, what does volcanic ash taste like? Or does the ice cream mask its flavor? Are there any benefits or is it a novelty? I bought bar soap in Juneau that was made of volcanic ash and other ingredients. Bought 4 bars for gifts and getting it thru security was a bit difficult. TSA couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me what the issue was. 

i had read that the Japanese think it is good for digestive issues. Natural and traditional remedies are very popular. That said, the ice cream just had a light dusting of the ash; it really just tasted like a slightly smoky vanilla. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. We'll be at sea on the actual day, so I plan to sit on my balcony and read. Well, once the sun is on the opposite side of the ship so I don't burn.

DH has stage 3 avascular necrosis with some collapse. The doc said he could put it off as long as he's OK with the pain level. The next level is what he called "a square peg in a round hole." As the femoral head collapses, it loses the round shape and rubs unevenly, eventually destroying the socket. He has plenty of cartilage left and his other hip looks good.  He will start meloxicam when we get back from our cruise, see the doc in July, and probably undergo surgery in September or so. We're trying to get him in after most of garden season and before the crazy-busy that is Nov/Dec in a surgery center.

The only remaining question is where it's done. Because he's on Medicare, he might have to go to the hospital (where I don't know anyone!). We are hoping at my surgery center--where I know everyone and can pick the staff in the room.

Oh, well, that's in the future. He's living with it for now and is trying not to worry about it too much.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. We'll be at sea on the actual day, so I plan to sit on my balcony and read. Well, once the sun is on the opposite side of the ship so I don't burn.

DH has stage 3 avascular necrosis with some collapse. The doc said he could put it off as long as he's OK with the pain level. The next level is what he called "a square peg in a round hole." As the femoral head collapses, it loses the round shape and rubs unevenly, eventually destroying the socket. He has plenty of cartilage left and his other hip looks good.  He will start meloxicam when we get back from our cruise, see the doc in July, and probably undergo surgery in September or so. We're trying to get him in after most of garden season and before the crazy-busy that is Nov/Dec in a surgery center.

The only remaining question is where it's done. Because he's on Medicare, he might have to go to the hospital (where I don't know anyone!). We are hoping at my surgery center--where I know everyone and can pick the staff in the room.

Oh, well, that's in the future. He's living with it for now and is trying not to worry about it too much.

Adding my wishes for a happy birthday a fun trip and for a good resolution for your hubs!

• Like 1

Cynthia, no need to apologize about anything.🙂..........hope you are feeling better!

I thought that ice cream looked pretty good! 

Sharon, I fly out on Saturday and usually pack the day before I leave (or maybe 2) so I might actually take the luggage out tomorrow.  I found a cute crossbody bag at Ross the other day. It is a "Baggalini", first one of that brand I have ever purchased.

It is a sturdy nylon with an adjustable strap. It is in black and will be great for excursions.....will hold my key card, glasses, tissues, credit card, some $$$.

It was only 15.99 too.....it is about 9.5 inches side to side and 7.5 inches up to down and it zips.....which I love!  I love a zippered bag! I will see if I can find a picture somewhere.

• Like 1

Hi Lois,

Have a fun and safe trip. Enjoy the sights.

I have several Baggalini bags that I use for travel. Even small ones hold a lot and they seem to hold up well. They are lightweight and easy to carry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WELDON said:

Hi Lois,

Have a fun and safe trip. Enjoy the sights.

I have several Baggalini bags that I use for travel. Even small ones hold a lot and they seem to hold up well. They are lightweight and easy to carry.

Hi Janet,🙂 thanks so much. Yes, for a smaller size bag it seems to be quite roomy! And omg, I went to the Baggalini website.....they are so expensive on there!!!! Even the smaller ones.......I got a deal for 16 bucks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Hope your hubby does well with the med & the surgery. We haven’t had too many issues with Medicare & surgery centers. They only insisted I go to a physical hospital for the hiatal/ventral wall hernia surgeries (likely because I was admitted for 7 days). 

what a lovely bday, sit on a balcony with a book & listen to the water

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Cynthia, no need to apologize about anything.🙂..........hope you are feeling better!

I thought that ice cream looked pretty good! 

Sharon, I fly out on Saturday and usually pack the day before I leave (or maybe 2) so I might actually take the luggage out tomorrow.  I found a cute crossbody bag at Ross the other day. It is a "Baggalini", first one of that brand I have ever purchased.

It is a sturdy nylon with an adjustable strap. It is in black and will be great for excursions.....will hold my key card, glasses, tissues, credit card, some $$$.

It was only 15.99 too.....it is about 9.5 inches side to side and 7.5 inches up to down and it zips.....which I love!  I love a zippered bag! I will see if I can find a picture somewhere.

I love my Baggalini bags. Very light & sturdy too. Yup, only buy them at Marshall’s, TJMaxx or Ross otherwise you don’t have anything left to put in them 😉

Edited by awhfy

Got a great Kipling bag (style is Lynne) on sale on the K 2 weeks ago....black nylon, can be a crossbody, clutch, fanny pack or a regular shoulder bag.  Zips across the top which folds down & snaps to make a smaller footprint...bigger portion has no inner pockets but the smaller part has credit card slots, an area for bills as well as a zippered change area.

Edited by 57redbird
more info
  • Like 1

Purple - you are doing what I'm going to do belatedly for my birthday!  I got my balcony cabin specifically so I could just sit out there, relax, read, and listen to music.  I've got an "at sea" day right at the front end of the cruise, so it'll work great.   I hope you DH manages fine through the pain until surgery time.  I understand the Medicare thing.  I know my shoulder is blown and needs surgery.  But, with Medicare I'm afraid that I won't be able to use my ortho who did my shoulder back in 2004 at our local surgery center, but they will make me go down to the Valley to someone unfamiliar and then won't allow me to rehab up here.  So, for now, I just deal with the pain.  

Lois - good snag of the Baggalini.  I see women writing about them all over the travel sites I visit.  

Actual question on cruise fashion now:

I'm going around about hats to take for Alaska.  So many choices I have.  First, definitely a baseball hat.  all around functionality and works well if I have to put the hood on my rain shell.  A travel staple.  I think to be sassy I'm going to bring my Smokey Bear Trucker.  I may bring a generic black or olive one, too - they pack up small and work to keep my hair from my eyes.  I have hat clips that keep the hat attached to my collar to keep it from flying away.  Used that clip skiing, on boats, in my convertible - a handy thing,  Second, a toque/beanie.  I still can't decide between my granny square crochet one or a generic black beanie.  I thought of my black one with the faux fur pom but decided not.  Third, one of my fedoras.  I would really like to take my tan one to wear around towns if there is a nice, unwindy day.  It would class me up a little.  Does anyone wear nice hats around?   

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I can't help with the hat question as I am not a hat girl and have never been. Good luck on finding the right one🙂

This will be my first time visiting Istanbul and I am not a scarf gal either but do ya'll suggest I bring one for walking around there? Or is it not needed?  I have a couple of nice ones that my sisters have given me over the years.......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, I can't help with the hat question as I am not a hat girl and have never been. Good luck on finding the right one🙂

This will be my first time visiting Istanbul and I am not a scarf gal either but do ya'll suggest I bring one for walking around there? Or is it not needed?  I have a couple of nice ones that my sisters have given me over the years.......

The Girl Scout in me makes sure I always bring a bandana.  I just tie it to my bag.  It can be used for so many things.  It can be any pattern or color.   I do also bring one of two long scarves that I can wrap around my neck for the evening.  I have them very lightweight so they don't get too warm on me or take up much room.  I'll take one solid color and one print.  

If I was doing your cruise, I'd absolutely taking my straw fedora!!  It was a lifesaver in Europe last summer!

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining the volcanic ash use, Cynthia. I totally get the “behind” thing, especially when depending on free Wi-Fi. I’m enjoying all you have shared with us so far.

Purple, wising your DH good results with the meds and that both if you have an amazing cruise. 

Lois, I’m sure you have cruise packing down to a science if you can do it all in a two days. It takes me longer but not the clothes part just all the other stuff I always pack. It’s been years since I have traveled with more than a 21 inch roll aboard and a personal item and I seem to take time making sure everything fits in those 2 bags. As for the scarf question, you didn’t say if you are thinking “accessory” or that your concern is walking around in a Muslim country where women cover their heads. As Kat said, you might pack one just in case.

I too have a few Baggallini  bags and love them. You really scored! Maybe I’ll stop by Ross and see what they have.

I’m not much of a hat person because I always think the look much better on others than on me. I see others wearing hats as fashion accessories and if I were you and had a selection of hats I liked I would certainly pack a few. Sorry I can’t help you choose but maybe it will come together when you lay out the clothes you will take?

Again,  Bon Viaggio (a nod to my Italian heritage) to all the soon to be cruisers!

Sharon

• Like 1

Lois, I’d bring a big scarf or pashmina if you have to cover your head for any reason it’s an easy (& light fix)

Kat, I’d bring the fedora, black beanie & ball cap. 

Woke up to 10 degrees & 6” of fresh snow with it still snowing. Of course today is my dermatology appt at the other end of town. Schools are on 2 hour delay so I’ll get out on rounds early & avoid them 

Good morning, thanks for all the replies.  And yes, the scarf question was going more towards being in a Muslim country and not really an accessory question. I never bring scarfs with me but as things are standing around the world, I will throw it in......it is lightweight that is for sure. 

Sharon, I bring a checked bag and a carry on........I know we are all different and I don't really consider myself an over packer but suffice to say, I couldn't bring what I want in only a carry on bag.  I suppose one day I could give it a try but........I just pack the way I pack.

• Like 1

I just went through the weather forecast and it looks like it is going to be in the low to mid 60s every day with some rain coming into play as well. So, not even warm out really. The lightweight crop pants I was planning to pack? Not sure I am going to pack any of them.  I keep looking at the pants for all my tours. I have 3 pair of joggers. One black, one a light purple and one is a peachy/coral color. They are all really soft and comfy.  This is a port intensive cruise so I figure and can just change my tops and alternate the pants. I get free laundry and as Iong as I have it ready by 9am I get it back the same day🙂

I might throw in a pair of jeans too......bringing several 3/4 sleeves tops and I always, always take a warm up jacket, which I wear on that long haul flight too. 

But the weather does not look great......will pack accordingly. Evenings are easy for me🙂 I have the pants and tops out on the bed in the spare bedroom.

• Like 2

Good morning. Finally starting to warm up a bit here and  should be really nice for Easter. Meeting DD for brunch outdoors. 

Gosh, Melody, it doesn’t sound like an outdoor eggs hunt will be happening where you live🥲

Lois, you are so right, everyone packs differently and I didn’t mean to be critical. I was really just explaining why it takes me longer to pack.  Traveling with a roll aboard began when we first started  flying stand by. We quickly learned that checking a bag complicated our ability to make last minute flight changes when necessary. So I guess you could say I do it out of necessity. I’m so used to it that even when we purchase tickets we use our roll aboards . Only difference is that we often check them.

Hoping the weather doesn’t impact your tours. Sounds like you plan to layer as needed. 

• Like 1