Refunds when paying with Carnival gift cards

mslhb

How will I get a refund when I paid with Carnival gift cards? We are booked on the Panorama in May. I’m mentally preparing for the cruise to be cancelled. This is the first cruise I made payments with carnival gift cards. I even prepaid the gratuities with a gift card. Today I clicked the “cancel gratuities” button partly to see what happens. They disappeared but I got no email or other notification of how I would be refunded. Will they send me a gift card in the mail or via email? We are looking to rebook something in 2021 so I’m not concerned if the process takes awhile but I would like the refund at some point and in some form.

My refund was a total of port fees, gratuities, and insurance purchased through Carnival, to the penny.  Excursion is being refunded separately according to a separate e-mail.  The rest of what I paid was future cruise credit applied when I rebooked.

This was on a cruise cancelled by Carnival,  100% accounted for.

25 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

Got an $850.00 refund but no reference on what it covers.  Can't equate it to anything on our cruise charges.

Edited by bury me at sea

8 hours ago, mslhb said:

How will I get a refund when I paid with Carnival gift cards? We are booked on the Panorama in May. I’m mentally preparing for the cruise to be cancelled. This is the first cruise I made payments with carnival gift cards. I even prepaid the gratuities with a gift card. Today I clicked the “cancel gratuities” button partly to see what happens. They disappeared but I got no email or other notification of how I would be refunded. Will they send me a gift card in the mail or via email? We are looking to rebook something in 2021 so I’m not concerned if the process takes awhile but I would like the refund at some point and in some form.

I purchased shore excursions via gift card last year and had to cancel the cruise due to Hurricane Dorian. I received a refund a few weeks later in the mail.

8 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Time to take a FCC cruise credit at a higher amount

Can I apply FCC to a cruise already booked. Yesterday I booked a July 2021 cruise. I’m picky about cabin selection and wanted to secure the cruise I wanted while still available.

2 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So question to all that used gift cards, did the funds come back to you on a new gift card with funds or did they put the funds back on the original gift cards?

Typically, they'll issue a new gift card. I have heard of a few instances where they've refunded an amount back onto the same gift card, which is why it's a good idea to hold onto them . But I think those instances were in relation to gift cards taken onboard. Just hold onto the cards just in case.

Carnival gift cards are not reloadable.  All refunds are provided on a new gift card.  The "exceptions" that you have heard about are likely transactions that have not completely been processed and could be reversed.  Once the transaction is complete, there is no way to put funds back onto a Carnival gift card.

57 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Carnival gift cards are not reloadable.  All refunds are provided on a new gift card.  The "exceptions" that you have heard about are likely transactions that have not completely been processed and could be reversed.  Once the transaction is complete, there is no way to put funds back onto a Carnival gift card.

Okay thanks for that information.  We have about $3,000 for excursions that were processed back in December 2019, as well as about $4,000 for cruise fare in February 2020 that need to be refunded.  I always keep all gift cards until after sailing, but this would be a lot of gift cards to reload, and would prefer to have a new one, lol.