Help - Final payment due for North Qld cruise

Is anyone paying balance of cruises booked after April 15 with P&O?

We have P&O 7 night Barrier Reef cruise  06-13 June with final payment due 23 March but phoned P&O

today and got extension until 6th April to pay balance. My question is do I cancel and lose $500 deposit

or pay another $2,000 approx and if cruise is cancelled, receive all money back via refund which is 

taking up to 8 weeks to process. There is talk on other boards that cruise lines may go bankrupt.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by davoni
line spacing

3 minutes ago, davoni said:

We have P&O 7 night Barrier Reef cruise  06-13 June with final payment due 23 March but phoned P&O

today and got extension until 6th April to pay balance. My question is do I cancel and lose $500 deposit

or pay another $2,000 approx and if cruise is cancelled, receive all money back via refund which is 

taking up to 8 weeks to process. There is talk on other boards that cruise lines may go bankrupt.

Thanks.

When is the cruise?

2 hours ago, davoni said:

Thanks.

P&O has a 30 day pause. Your June cruise to North Queensland might go ahead, but with the government requesting that there be no non-essential travel, I am not too sure about that.

Around ten days ago we cancelled a P&O cruise we had booked for 30th May to Noumea/Lifou/Vila while we just lost the $500 deposit. BTW, my son said we "didn't lose the money, we just weren't getting what we expected for it." That didn't make us feel much better. The funny thing is that I received a email a few minutes ago from P&O offering us the same cruise that we cancelled.

If P&O cancel the cruise you will probably get our money back, but we didn't wait for that. When we cancelled, the international situation wasn't as dire as it is now. When we cancelled, we didn't think P&O would cancel a cruise on 30th May, but we didn't feel comfortable going.

Thanks for your comments.

I guess we'll wait until 6th April and see how things are then.

Glad P&O gave us the extension of 2 weeks as we're not feeling comfortable about going.

4 hours ago, davoni said:

My question is do I cancel and lose $500 deposit

Don't pay and don't cancel. Leave it as long as possible. Let P&O decide what to do with it. Whether that be canceling your booking or canceling the entire cruise.

In other words, play for time but don't hand over any more money. Things are moving quickly, the situation could be very different in a week.

As for cruise lines going bankrupt, that is entirely possible. I don't see it as likely, but it is far more possible now than at any time in the past few decades. The possibility has gone from "never" to "probably not". It has happened in the past to airlines.

For me "probably not" is enough reason not to trust them with your money in the form of Future Cruise Credits, which are essentially IOUs which would evaporate in any bankruptcy proceedings.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Don't pay and don't cancel. Leave it as long as possible. Let P&O decide what to do with it. Whether that be canceling your booking or canceling the entire cruise.

In other words, play for time but don't hand over any more money. Things are moving quickly, the situation could be very different in a week.

As for cruise lines going bankrupt, that is entirely possible. I don't see it as likely, but it is far more possible now than at any time in the past few decades. The possibility has gone from "never" to "probably not". It has happened in the past to airlines.

For me "probably not" is enough reason not to trust them with your money in the form of Future Cruise Credits, which are essentially IOUs which would evaporate in any bankruptcy proceedings.

SinbadThePorter, maybe just maybe you have helped me out. Our situation is this, we paid $14000 deposit on a Cruise, we have to pay the balance $42000 April 13th. Ponant are being complete Aholes they will not delay payment, they will not allow us to postpone to next years cruise and no refunds if we pay the balance and they cancel the cruise only a fcc of 125%. We are in our seventies with pre existing conditions but nothing touches Ponant. We worry about giving them more money and have nearly, even though it burns us, made up our minds to cancel and lose our deposit. Now we will try your suggestion and do nothing, let Ponant deal with it. This is our first and last Ponant cruise, we will never deal with them again. Thanks Sinbad for the suggestion.

28 minutes ago, jland said:

SinbadThePorter, maybe just maybe you have helped me out. Our situation is this, we paid $14000 deposit on a Cruise, we have to pay the balance $42000 April 13th. Ponant are being complete Aholes they will not delay payment, they will not allow us to postpone to next years cruise and no refunds if we pay the balance and they cancel the cruise only a fcc of 125%. We are in our seventies with pre existing conditions but nothing touches Ponant. We worry about giving them more money and have nearly, even though it burns us, made up our minds to cancel and lose our deposit. Now we will try your suggestion and do nothing, let Ponant deal with it. This is our first and last Ponant cruise, we will never deal with them again. Thanks Sinbad for the suggestion.

When is your cruise and how likely is it to be cancelled?

With my booking on a segment of the World Cruise on Princess, I haven't paid the balance and I am waiting for them to cancel. I am very pleased they moved the payment date to 60 days prior to the cruise. Thankfully, I don't have a large amount of money involved, the way you do.

Our cruise leaves August 28th but deposit payable April 13th. We have not heard a word from Ponant but as this cruise is to the northwest passage we are assuming it will not go ahead. The communities we visit are so remote surely a cruise company could not risk spreading the virus there. We agree with you Pushka, giving a cruise line another $42000 at this time is fraught with danger. Do we lose $14000 to protect our $42000, that is our dilemma. To do the northwest passage was our dream, never mind we are still breathing in and out. We will remain positive even though $14000 has gone down the drain. What was it about always look on the bright side. Sorry I was replying to the two above posts.

Edited by jland
Thought I had attached quotes.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, jland said:

Our cruise leaves August 28th but deposit payable April 13th. We have not heard a word from Ponant but as this cruise is to the northwest passage we are assuming it will not go ahead. The communities we visit are so remote surely a cruise company could not risk spreading the virus there. We agree with you Pushka, giving a cruise line another $42000 at this time is fraught with danger. Do we lose $14000 to protect our $42000, that is our dilemma. To do the northwest passage was our dream, never mind we are still breathing in and out. We will remain positive even though $14000 has gone down the drain. What was it about always look on the bright side. Sorry I was replying to the two above posts.

Save your dream for 2021  This is not a good time to cruise the North West Passage, which is risky at the best of times (too much ice).  

Don't give up on your $14,000 deposit.  Write to Ponant starting with Corona Virus and request your deposit back under the unique circumstances. I'm finding all respectable companies are providing refunds.   At worst you should get a FCC for the same cruise next year.  Cruise lines need goodwill from their passengers if they are to have a life after the virus!

14 hours ago, jland said:

Sorry I'm reading emails backwards.  Don't cancel and don't pay any more money!!  I would phone Consumer Affairs for advice.  Then I would phone the body representing Cruise Lines.  Then, if unsuccessful, I would spread the word about how Ponant treated you, a couple in your 70s, not refunding your $14,000 deposit during the Corona Virus.  Ponant will loose goodwill over your treatment, believe me.  They were on top of my list for my next cruise because they have great itineraries and small ships.  They have just gone to the bottom.  

MMDownUnder, we choose Ponant for their small ships and itinerary. We usually sail with Silversea but thought we would try Ponant. Bad mistake. A quick look on the Ponant forum with tell you all you need to know about them and it is not good. Even though they have offices around the world they say they act under French Law and therefore no refunds. All we want Ponant to do is defer final payment. On the Ponant forum is a list of emails for the top brass, I have received no reply from any of them. I will accept your advice and I am thinking of joining FB to voice my displeasure on there.

At the end of the day we must think of people worse off than ourselves, so many have lost their jobs and will lose much more than $14000. I think, from memory, someone of this oz forum has a son who owns a TA. My heart goes out to them, they must really be hurting.

Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jland said:

MMDownUnder, we choose Ponant for their small ships and itinerary. We usually sail with Silversea but thought we would try Ponant. Bad mistake. A quick look on the Ponant forum with tell you all you need to know about them and it is not good. Even though they have offices around the world they say they act under French Law and therefore no refunds. All we want Ponant to do is defer final payment. On the Ponant forum is a list of emails for the top brass, I have received no reply from any of them. I will accept your advice and I am thinking of joining FB to voice my displeasure on there.

At the end of the day we must think of people worse off than ourselves, so many have lost their jobs and will lose much more than $14000. I think, from memory, someone of this oz forum has a son who owns a TA. My heart goes out to them, they must really be hurting.

Thanks for your advice.

Don't worry too much about the son loosing too much money in the long term.  He has an excellent reputation.  He donated a ticket to an Elton John concert, by running a raffle, to raise funds for bushfire victims.  He runs raffles for same on his cruises.  Times are tough for everyone, but he is one who deserves to survive.  I don't know him, but admire him from afar.  I suspect he has a lot of fans so hope they all support him after this nasty virus is over.  His cruises go to Antarctica a passion of mine (plus Arctic as well I think).  Have you been to Antarctica?  If not his company with small ships would be an excellent one to consider.

We can still  think of people worse off than ourselves, however that doesn't mean you let a company take advantage of the situation you find yourself in, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jland said:

Thanks for your advice.

jland...Good luck with it all, hope you get your 14k back, big bikkies.  I think Ponant might have a cash flow problem, keeping your money, they would be holding plenty of other clients money too, not ethical in my opinion. 

MMDown Under...As for my son's Antarctic/Arctic/South America and Central America travel business,  they are toughing it out but have had to let go many staff, he has offices in Australia, USA, NZ, Germany, UK and other places.   Greg is currently organising charter flights to get mainly Aussie clients out of Lima and Buenos Aires.  Thanks for your kind comments, it means a lot to my son and I at this tough time.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

Thank you MM and NSWP for your kind comments. We will fight for our $14000 but it is very difficult when no one is answering emails or phone calls. Trying other options is proving difficult with so many in the same position, we are all complaining to consumer affairs etc, they are struggling to cope.

The TA we booked through is just as useless, the only express thing about this express cruise TA is the speed with which they took our deposit.

NSWP I knew someone on this forum had a son running a TA but wasn’t sure who. I hope with all my heart his business survives. We have been to Antartica and the Arctic but if I can find out which company is your sons we will book something with him. Us losing $14000 pales into insignificance compared to your son. Wish you all the best. 
Back to fighting, cannot believe all I want them to do is defer final payment and in these trying times Ponant will not budge.

• Like 1

Does seem a difficult position re the Ponant booking.

Curious prior to the deposit being paid, did the terms/conditions state the deposit was  non fundable?

Prior to you making the booking via the TA?

Are the terms/conditions Ponant or the TA?

Is the TA refusing to refund or Ponant and is that all in writing? 

Given the amount of money involved agree get some expert advice.

It looks a lovely cruise but not for this year, given the circumstances.

Plus the PM tonight has said no overseas travel, a total ban, so you could not travel anyway, depending on how long the ban continues.

Doubt the cruise would go this year? 

Good luck.

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

jland...Good luck with it all, hope you get your 14k back, big bikkies.  I think Ponant might have a cash flow problem, keeping your money, they would be holding plenty of other clients money too, not ethical in my opinion. 

MMDown Under...As for my son's Antarctic/Arctic/South America and Central America travel business,  they are toughing it out but have had to let go many staff, he has offices in Australia, USA, NZ, Germany, UK and other places.   Greg is currently organising charter flights to get mainly Aussie clients out of Lima and Buenos Aires.  Thanks for your kind comments, it means a lot to my son and I at this tough time.

You must be a very proud father.  I had no idea your son's travel business was so big.   I hope he draws some comfort from the knowledge that he will be able to re employ the staff he let go, when this world wide virus is beaten.   I hope he is successful in arranging a charter flight home for his Aussie clients.  

On 3/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, jland said:

As I posted my complaint on this forum I thought it only fair that I should also post the outcome. We have been given an extension of time to pay our final payment. We now have to paid June 28th, 60 days prior to sailing. We are pleased, all we wanted was the payment deferred, nothing more. Thanks to all who offered advice.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jland said:

As I posted my complaint on this forum I thought it only fair that I should also post the outcome. We have been given an extension of time to pay our final payment. We now have to paid June 28th, 60 days prior to sailing. We are pleased, all we wanted was the payment deferred, nothing more. Thanks to all who offered advice.

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know.

Under Princess' extended terms, I have until 3rd May to pay my balance (which I don't intend to do), but my TA sent me another email today 26th March, threatening that Princess could cancel if I don't pay my balance promptly. I believe that Princess will extend their pause and my cruise will soon be cancelled.

6 hours ago, jland said:

Thanks for the update, I’m glad Ponant have come to the party, I suppose with everything going on, they were working within there T&C’s but still not considering their client. To be honest we love Ponant (even after they cancelled our cruise from Iceland to Quebec, 8 months out), we went on a Silversea Arctic cruise as a substitute to our cancelled Ponant cruise and didn’t think it compared. We recently gave up a significant credit provided by Silversea after they cancelled a few ports on our Arctic cruise, and booked another Ponant cruise.

I hope you enjoy it! The northwest passage is definitely on our bucket list.

13 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Thanks for the update, I’m glad Ponant have come to the party, I suppose with everything going on, they were working within there T&C’s but still not considering their client. To be honest we love Ponant (even after they cancelled our cruise from Iceland to Quebec, 8 months out), we went on a Silversea Arctic cruise as a substitute to our cancelled Ponant cruise and didn’t think it compared. We recently gave up a significant credit provided by Silversea after they cancelled a few ports on our Arctic cruise, and booked another Ponant cruise.

I hope you enjoy it! The northwest passage is definitely on our bucket list.

12 hours ago, pully8 said:

good to hear you have an extension to pay and hope it all goes well.

Thanks folks for your good wishes. The extension has given us some breathing space. Gogo65 we decided to try Ponant as they have very good itineraries and not so expensive as Silversea. Have to agree, since Silversea stopped being a family run business thing are not so good. Boring itineraries, expensive and any excuse to miss ports. We did their Arctic cruise, sorely disappointed. Fingers crossed our northwest passage trip comes off.