Alaska Cruises Suspended Through July 1st by Celebrity. Princess to Follow?

Guindalf

Between Glacier Bay NP being closed through July 1 and the Alaska Railroad not operating till then, Princess can't do Alaska sailings. Not to mention the PVSA. As was said, I think the reason they are delaying is to preserve cash in the short term.

• Like 2

And even if by some magical stroke the PVSA was modified and Canada and Alaska suddenly opened their ports, how are people going to get there?  Pretty much every airline has cancelled the vast majority of their flights around the country through June.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TM said:

And even if by some magical stroke the PVSA was modified and Canada and Alaska suddenly opened their ports, how are people going to get there?  Pretty much every airline has cancelled the vast majority of their flights around the country through June.

I have 2 flights booked for our cruise in June....and neither Delta (to Alaska) nor Air Canada have canceled the flights

I think Princess is waiting to say anything related to Alaska/Canada cruises until they make the next announcement for the entire fleet, which I'd guess will happen somewhere around the 20th to 27th of this month (just a guess).  As all operations are suspended until May 10th, better to announce everything at once than in piecemeal fashion.

I know this isn't the answer many here are looking for, but I personally think it is what Princess will do.

• Like 1

Looks like we may get that announcement early ... 

No Sail Order for Cruise Ships

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 9 pages] for the full requirements.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lderochi said:

Why would Princess treat this any different than when Canada shut its ports? Or Seattle? Or when Glacier Bay closed? They’ll say they are “examining the situation” and delay as long as possible. 

I guess so....

I see they are still selling sailings right after their original May 11th  reopening date.  I know, I know .... these things take time.  That had to insert this for all those that want to argue the point.  Actually, I’d have really thought they would have taken those down by now.  Countdown is now on for how long before they officially make this new round of  cancellations.  

• Like 1

Latest from Princess on twitter-

We are aware of the Apr 9 order by@CDCgov to extend the pause in cruise ops & we are evaluating the impact to cruise schedule. More info coming Apr 14. Watch email and http://Princess.com for updates.

Edited by Ripper3785

54 minutes ago, Ripper3785 said:
Latest from Princess on twitter-

We are aware of the Apr 9 order by@CDCgov to extend the pause in cruise ops & we are evaluating the impact to cruise schedule. More info coming Apr 14. Watch email and http://Princess.com for updates.

How inconvenient that's just one day past my cancellation date where it goes from 100% refund to 50%.  Sigh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rrusso81 said:

How inconvenient that's just one day past my cancellation date where it goes from 100% refund to 50%.  Sigh.

who did you book through ... a TA or directly through Princess?  You may be able to get a one or two day extension on your final payment.  

5 hours ago, rrusso81 said:

I used a TA, Costco. 

I have used the, before and I think they may pad the final payment date by a few days.  If you can get through, I would try to ask them for a couple days extension before you need to make your payment.  

8 minutes ago, Bemidji Ty said:

Just got an email from Princess saying our August Alaska out of San Pedro is cancelled.  We will wait for this mess to settle down and find another Princess cruise that works.

Cheers.

Yes ... my August Alaska out of San Francisco was canceled, too.  I called to see if I could just move it and the rep down at Princess was having trouble getting the funds released.  Funny, I just spoke with her a couple of days ago and she could have done it then but now, it's all locked up.