When Will You Cruise Again  

147 members have voted

1. 1. When Will You Cruise Again

• As soon as cruises start up
    • Will wait a few months in order to see how many cases show up
    • Next year
    • Not until a vaccine is available

2 hours ago, fizzy said:

Regent seems to have a very loyal, almost rabid, customer base. Why,  oh way, can't a company representative make a statement to the fact that the " over 70/ fit to travel" rumor is not now and never will be a factor of their company policy......unless it is over written by official government laws of some sort. As long as this topic/rumor is allowed to swirl around, who would want to take a chance on a FCC? If people had some sort of OFFICIAL statement of company policy it might help to stem the cash bleed and let people make their own risk choices.  And those Regent lawyers can craft the policy, in writing, to be added to the Terms and Conditions. 

Can't agree more, if that even happen you'd have a lot more suites to chose from because I and others wouldn't be able to cruise any more......☺️

It is not a rumor that Regent has not (and has no plans to) implement the over 70 doctor's statement, etc.  It has been verified by Regent to a TA that posts on these boards.  Of course there is no way that they could state that they would "never" implement such a policy.  If it were mandated by CLIA, they would have no choice.

Sheila - have you called your TA and asked the about the "respiratory" issue?  While I truly believe that this has to do with Covid-19 (since it attacks the lungs), it would put your mind at ease to have it explained to you (and then you could explain it to us).  

21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is not a rumor that Regent has not (and has no plans to) implement the over 70 doctor's statement, etc.  It has been verified by Regent to a TA that posts on these boards.  Of course there is no way that they could state that they would "never" implement such a policy.  If it were mandated by CLIA, they would have no choice.

Completely agree there is no way they could state they would never implement such a policy but, verification by an unknown "Regent" passed on by an unknown TA passed on by a third is beyond hearsay and would not be accepted by any court nor should it be accepted here.  Unless or until an authorized Regent Executive puts out a release, posts it to their website or posts it here on CC this issue remains a rumor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Completely agree there is no way they could state they would never implement such a policy but, verification by an unknown "Regent" passed on by an unknown TA passed on by a third is beyond hearsay and would not be accepted by any court nor should it be accepted here.  Unless or until an authorized Regent Executive puts out a release, posts it to their website or posts it here on CC this issue remains a rumor.

omg - why on earth should Regent put out a release or statement about a proposed policy that was not implemented?

It isn't only the TA that verified this information, I also knew that the policy was not going to be implemented.  When we received our documents for the May 12th cruise, there was a detailed letter that specified what we need for boarding.  It included a statement that we will need to fill out a Medical Questionnaire before we board (of course, there was no mention of what you consider to be a rumor.)

I consider the promotion of this rumor to be fear mongering.  It is putting fear in Regent's oldest passengers - with past health issues.  Why would anyone want to propagate this as a rumor?  

This is not a court of law.  Most posters share information (and indicate if they know something as a fact or is it just something they heard that could be a rumor).   So, I know as a fact that Regent is not going to require anything other than the normal questionnaire for their May 12th cruise (which has yet to be cancelled).  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

It appears the US has extended the “NO Sail Order” for another 100 days.

Not sure what this means for cruises that have US ports of call or start/stop in a US port.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Thank you very much for providing this information.

41 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

It appears the US has extended the “NO Sail Order” for another 100 days.

Not sure what this means for cruises that have US ports of call or start/stop in a US port.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

Not sure how you read this but it seems to me that the 100 days is of March 14 which would put the end around mid-June.

• Haha 1

So, since HHS or CDC can rescind their declarations at any time, we still don't know when the earliest this will end.  100 days gets us into July.  I sure hope NCLH takes this as a reason to cancel additional cruises at this time.

Marc

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

So, since HHS or CDC can rescind their declarations at any time, we still don't know when the earliest this will end.  100 days gets us into July.  I sure hope NCLH takes this as a reason to cancel additional cruises at this time.

Marc

Actually Marc, 100 days from March 14th (the date named in the document) is June 22nd*. Not trying to nitpick but for Alaska cruisers this makes a huge difference since Canada should open their ports July 1st.

*I used the time and date calculator to come up with the date.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Actually Marc, 100 days from March 14th (the date named in the document) is June 22nd*. Not trying to nitpick but for Alaska cruisers this makes a huge difference since Canada should open their ports July 1st.

*I used the time and date calculator to come up with the date.

If you would bother to read the entire order you would see that the 100 days starts on the publishing of this current order in the Federal Register.  If it got in today that is 18 July but it might not be published until Monday.

Marc

edited to add:  Just checked Federal Register and wasn't published today.  Since the previous order didn't get published for ten days after it was disseminated that might also happen this time.

Edited by mrlevin

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If you would bother to read the entire order you would see that the 100 days starts on the publishing of this current order in the Federal Register.  If it got in today that is 18 July but it might not be published until Monday.

Marc

edited to add:  Just checked Federal Register and wasn't published today.  Since the previous order didn't get published for ten days after it was disseminated that might also happen this time.

Marc - please try to be nice.  I did read the order but it was not conclusive.  If you take the latest date announced by Regent (May 10th), this would take us into August rather than July.  What date are you looking at?

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Marc - please try to be nice.  I did read the order but it was not conclusive.  If you take the latest date announced by Regent (May 10th), this would take us into August rather than July.  What date are you looking at?

It is pretty clear cut; look at last paragraph on page 9:

This Order is effective upon publication in the Federal Register and shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

It is also clearly and specifically as item 3 in the first page of the document

or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Edited by rallydave

Ok - so what is the date in the “Federal Register”? I am not familiar with this.

The date it is published in the Federal Register.  All US Government Document, Bills,, etc.  have to be published in the Federal Register to be valid.         Google it.

Also, Regent (and other cruise lines) stated that they voluntarily ceased cruises.  So, can the CDC really make these stipulations?  YES.  It even mentions the voluntary cessation by cruise lines in the document.

The required action plan is quite onerous also, especially the items related to dealing with any, on board, COVID-19 outbreak without using any land based (US) resources (Item 3.h.)

Given how few US citizens have probably been exposed to the virus, an unknown Ro value ( how contagious it is), how asymptotic folks can spread the virus, and no vaccine or treatment available, I don’t see too many cruise lines accepting these requirements in order to access US ports.

We are currently booked on the June 14th, 74 day Grand Arctic Tour, leaving out of New York City, and were required to pay in full 5 months out.  We will be intently watching how the cruise industry responses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Ok - so what is the date in the “Federal Register”? I am not familiar with this.

Also, Regent (and other cruise lines) stated that they voluntarily ceased cruises.  So, can the CDC really make these stipulations?

Not in Federal Register yet, could be tomorrow or it could be ten days like last one.  This Order overrides anything any cruise line would do; this US Government policy and as long as the ships use US waterways and US ports they need to follow wherever their flag of convenience may be.

And, to jump on the soap box, what right does Bahamas have to not accept ships that are flying the Bahamian flag.

edited to add:  The 100 days is pretty meaningless; it is a "review by" and repromulgate as amended date.  However, if HHS doesn't rescind the emergency declaration and CDC doesn't change their mind the 100 days is very important.

Edited by mrlevin

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Okay - so it is not written in stone.  That is what I thought.  There are contingencies.  Still not clear on the powers of the CDC.  Did they require cruise ships to cease cruising or was it a recommendation?  It has been posted that Vice President Pence met with cruise lines after which time they “voluntarily”  stopped cruises.  Is this untrue?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Okay - so it is not written in stone.  That is what I thought.  There are contingencies.  Still not clear on the powers of the CDC.  Did they require cruise ships to cease cruising or was it a recommendation?  It has been posted that Vice President Pence met with cruise lines after which time they “voluntarily”  stopped cruises.  Is this untrue?

Jackie, just read the order published in Federal Register on 24 March.  

You can believe what you want but US government does control US waterways and US ports.

Marc

Just now, mrlevin said:

Jackie, just read the order published in Federal Register on 24 March.  

You can believe what you want but US government does control US waterways and US ports.

Marc

Thank you.  Fortunately, they do not control the rest of the world!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Which cruse line is going to defy the CDC and risk whatever relations they have with the US?  And which other countries want to welcome such risky nonessential travel to their shores anytime soon?

If all three major cruise lines went against the CDC, first, I would be proud of them and second...... what would they do to all of the cruise ship companies under the Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian umbrellas?

What has the CDC done for American citizens lately other than delay approval of drugs that could help dying people?  I do not consider the CDC to be political.  I feel that they are as effective (or ineffective) under anyone’s administration.

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If all three major cruise lines went against the CDC, first, I would be proud of them and second...... what would they do to all of the cruise ship companies under the Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian umbrellas?

What has the CDC done for American citizens lately other than delay approval of drugs that could help dying people?  I do not consider the CDC to be political.  I feel that they are as effective (or ineffective) under anyone’s administration.

The CDC does not approve drugs in the US..that is done by the FDA.  The FDA provided an emergency approval for all drugs that anyone has suggested might be effective in treating COVID 19 under compassion use (as a pharmacist I know a little about this process), so not sure what “drugs to help dying people” you are referring to.

Not sure how a cruise line would “go against” the CDC... the US Coast Guard would deny entry to all US ports for non-complaint ships/cruise lines.  The CDC Is not suggesting imposing these restrictions on cruises that do not call on US ports.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It this were to happen the cruise lines would be putting themselves out of business instantly

• Like 2