Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, George C said:

Cats liked when we had a two story house and I could leave the window open in spring and fall .

Our rescue cat Sparky has a new thing where he jumps on the ledge of the first floor windows and taps on a window to come inside.    Open window and screen and in he walks and jumps onto furniture.  Goof ball.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You all know though when the toilet is leaking like that, you can either take the lid off and adjust the flapper to seal properly or reach down behind the toilet and turn off the cold water valve  off until either yourself or a plumber comes to fix it?

When it's leaking, I mean really you should hear it running and running long before you have to ask the water company for some credit?

Yes, I know and we have done our own maintenance on toilets over the years but it is nice that we can call our township water authority and let them know we had a leak (any kind of leak) and they will simply give us a credit - usually small maybe $10 or 20 but it is nice they do this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Someone was paying for the water. This is not a difficult concept. Your rent paid for the apartment and whatever else the landlord included in the rent....like water.

I believe that NYC residents were not charged for water usage.There was no such thing as electric bills and telephone bills either in the 40’s and 50’s and probably early 60’s.I would have to research that.

Do you know that prior to 1966 there was no such thing as a CPT code ?

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They tried to do that sewage thing here too. People were up in arms about it because of pools, lawn irrigation systems, etc. and it got shot down. Water is metered, sewer is flat fee.

Exactly.     With how many homeowners are currently protesting the new system I hope they go back to the other system like you have.     We know have digital water meters and the system automatically sends the info to the water authority.      Our bill went up $40 to $75 per quarter depending on time of year.     Spring/Summer we are watering flowers, washing cars, etc. 

Edited by Sunshine3601

29 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know I hear that a lot.    Some of my neighbors have moved their laundry upstairs but for now mine is in the basement and works for me.    I tend to forget I was doing laundry (out of sight out of mind) and I don't always hear the units beep when done.

When we moved into our condo the previous owner had their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen.We had them moved into the garage.

Some people converted their garages into bedrooms and some converted one of their upstairs closets into bathrooms.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I believe that NYC residents were not charged for water usage.There was no such thing as electric bills and telephone bills either in the 40’s and 50’s and probably early 60’s.I would have to research that.

Do you know that prior to 1966 there was no such thing as a CPT code ?

I guess NYC is now making up for everything that was "free" back then.😉 And I have no clue when CPT and ICD codes were invented.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not a fan of laundries taking up living space. The basement is fine.

I agree.    Some of my older neighbors that want to avoid using steps have moved their washer/dryer upstairs moved to a closet or one woman put in her garage but then had drainage issues.    I am just fine with them in the basement

23 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nope .The rent that my parents paid in the 40’s and 50’s was solely for the apartments as was the rent that I paid in the 60’s and 70’s when I lived in 2 family homes.It was only when I bought a house in 1983 that I began to receive water bills

Do you now live in a condo where the water/sewer fees are covered in your HOA dues?

40 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I store everything and anything into the basement.   Our basement is 1500 sq' and 2/3rds of it is finished and the other part is a workshop/workbench/tools, etc. and an area with built in shelves for storage of holiday decorations, etc., the washer/dryer area and our furnace and hot water heater.   

We had a wet basement system installed before we finished the basement and 2 have sump pumps with battery back up systems.      I am not even sure that we have anything in the attic, will have to look when we get back or home (or wait until it's not too hot to go up there).  

When we lived in NYC we had a basement with a full bathroom and the bar ,both built by the previous owner.We also had an attic that most people used as a fourth bedroom.Currently we have an attic that most people use for storage .We do not use it for anything.We have very large closets ,6’ x6’ upstairs along with 3 smaller closets that we use for storage ,a garage and several closets downstairs for storage.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Beautiful home, Debbie!

Love the painting on your shore home!

Thank you.    We love it here.    It is not one of those huge mansions that you see all over the island but it is our happy place.   

While I was on my morning bike ride I noticed someone has hung various flip flops on their fence as decoration.    Looks really cute.   I will have to take a photo tomorrow.   I may steal their idea😇

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

In my township we have a water/sewer bill that is issued every quarter.      Recently they changed the calculation for the sewage part of the bill to be more in line with the amount of water you use per quarter.      there are a lot of unhappy pool owners billed for sewage because they filled their pool.

We then have annual school tax bill due by August 31st  (this is the largest bill of all)

We then have County/Township/Trash tax due by April 30st

This is how it works in our town. Sewer is tied to how much water is used.  If you set up a sprinkler system for the yard you can get a separate meter where sewer is not tied to water use.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When we lived in NYC we had a basement with a full bathroom and the bar ,both built by the previous owner.We also had an attic that most people used as a fourth bedroom.Currently we have an attic that most people use for storage .We do not use it for anything.We have very large closets ,6’ x6’ upstairs along with 3 smaller closets that we use for storage ,a garage and several closets downstairs for storage.

Sounds perfect😃

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This is how it works in our town. Sewer is tied to how much water is used.  If you set up a sprinkler system for the yard you can get a separate meter where sewer is not tied to water use.

Now that would be a nice option for our township to do since so many homeowners are upset with the new system.   

• Like 1

Before Mayor Dinkins decided to shove water meters down our throats we only paid $200.00 a year for water usage.  Now we get billed quarterly and it is ridiculous!  When we got married electric was so cheap then skyrocketed and never came down.  The only thing I can keep lower is the gas bill, if I use less I can actually see a difference in the bill.  Although now with gas prices up I guess it won’t matter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Before Mayor Dinkins decided to shove water meters down our throats we only paid $200.00 a year for water usage.  Now we get billed quarterly and it is ridiculous!  When we got married electric was so cheap then skyrocketed and never came down.  The only thing I can keep lower is the gas bill, if I use less I can actually see a difference in the bill.  Although now with gas prices up I guess it won’t matter.

No gas in our condo,everything is electric.

55 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You all know though when the toilet is leaking like that, you can either take the lid off and adjust the flapper to seal properly or reach down behind the toilet and turn off the cold water valve  off until either yourself or a plumber comes to fix it?

When it's leaking, I mean really you should hear it running and running long before you have to ask the water company for some credit?

Ok, wasn't living there. Son is an idiot.

Both cases fixed ourselves. Toilets are easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do you make simple syrup?

The same as Greg’s link. Bring equal parts sugar and water to a boil, stir until the sugar dissolves, remove from heat and cool completely.  I do one cup to one cup and store it in a mason jar. Today I added small handful of fresh mint at the end of the boil and let it steep while the mixture cooled. Remove the mint before storing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I love recipes like this.    pretty much how we do it in our house.  Rarely use a shot glass to make a drink.    Just eye ball it based on the glass being used at the time.  

I do get confused when I make pitchers of drink so we have a rule "drink it before you drink it"

Ruby Relaxers are a pitcher at a time. Measure everything. Consistency is key with so many ingredients 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you.    Yes, it was my Grandfathers old boat that sat at my Nana's house unused for years after he passed away.

That makes it even more special!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, Me here!    I make my own simple syrup and yes, sometimes I have infused fresh mint leaves when simmering the water/sugar mixture.     Is that what you did?

Yes, exactly that.  It’ll become a summer staple!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not a fan of laundries taking up living space. The basement is fine.

C'est la vie.

That's French by the way.  😉

Personally, I like laundry on same level as bedrooms

• Like 4