Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, island lady said:

I am watching Bucky "the monkey boy" on the roof and scaling the cage structure on our screen enclosure right now. Replacing a torn roof screen panel.  

He is 70 years old, and still thinks he is an invincible young man.  Scares the crap out of me, and he is too stubborn to hire it out.  

Pictures or it  didn't happen 🙂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love dinner in the Windjammer.

Agree.  We mix it up quite a bit with the WJ, specialty, and MDR.   CK is a favorite on ships that have it also.  

Mostly we enjoy the WJ around 8 pm (which is very late for us) after too much happy hour time and yacking in the lounges.  Love the muted lighting, not busy, and can pick and nibble on only what we like, small portions.  No one to give us the "long face" if we don't eat everything on our plate in the regular restaurants (which is always too big of a portion).  Find it much quieter at night than the MDR as well.  

Never a wait for a table.  We walk in with our glass of wine, find a table in the back by ourselves, and enjoy.  😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Agree, we’ve had some of our best dinners there.  I can’t remember now if it was Harmony or Anthem that had a small outdoor seating area if you went out the rear doors of the buffet area. 

Wouldn't be on Harmony that I know of, unless I missed it, and haven't been on a Quantum class ship, but the most popular class of ship for what you are describing is the Radiance series.  But actually on those four ladies, the outside area is pretty good size.  

Oasis class does have the Solarium cafe that has outdoor area buffet.  

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Never a wait for a table.  We walk in with our glass of wine, find a table in the back by ourselves, and enjoy.  😉 

We have never tried the WJ for dinner so we will have to try it. I think the way to do it is to eat like you do at 8pm after the rush. We tried WJ one time at breakfast  and it was a zoo. We couldn't find a vacant table. people were crowding at the food counters. It was quite the mess.

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We have never tried the WJ for dinner so we will have to try it. I think the way to do it is to eat like you do at 8pm after the rush. We tried WJ one time at breakfast  and it was a zoo. We couldn't find a vacant table. people were crowding at the food counters. It was quite the mess.

and how many cruises have you been on ? Dinner in the Widjammers is nothing like Breakfast and Lunch............Much more relaxing and less crowded.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We have done lots of rccl cruises we are diamond plus, only tried WJ once for dinner did not care for it at all. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not sure that is Soy Sauce, what they ask you if you can understand them is do you want it little bit spicy? or  extra spicy ?

So I think that is another type of spice  in bottle they are adding, not soy sauce.

It is always too salty.  I try to remember to tell them not to add the sauce.  

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

and how many cruises have you been on ?

Hey I'm a rookie compared to everyone else here. We have only been on 2 with Royal. For whatever reason, I don't mind the MDR. We like the specialty restaurants in the evening so we have had no real reason to eat in the WJ. With 3 cruises booked now, we will try and experiment a little more.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Definitely don't like the WJ for breakfast if we wait and go later.  Uggh...crowded, noisy.   If you got right when they open, it's not too bad.  But tough even then on a port day when everyone is trying to catch their shore excursion.  

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hey I'm a rookie compared to everyone else here. We have only been on 2 with Royal. For whatever reason, I don't mind the MDR. We like the specialty restaurants in the evening so we have had no real reason to eat in the WJ. With 3 cruises booked now, we will try and experiment a little more.

Okay that makes sense then, we probably did the same as you for our 1st cruises.........after you get more under your belt you probably will look for other options around the ship.

It's a time saver too to do other things since eating in the Dining room takes nearly 2 hours inless you tell your waiter in the Dining room to speed things up as we have told him we have other plans that evening.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Definitely don't like the WJ for breakfast if we wait and go later.  Uggh...crowded, noisy.   If you got right when they open, it's not too bad.  But tough even then on a port day when everyone is trying to catch their shore excursion.  

That's the way it was for us. I like the MDR for breakfast because you can order off the menu or go buffet. It may not have everything that the WJ has but it's good enough for me. I don't eat a lot at breakfast or even lunch. I save it for dinner.

Just now, island lady said:

Ummm...what are you telling me here?  How about this....

20210427_101720.jpg

Thats looks really unsafe..........how do you reach those windows to open for the screens? Is it electrical controlled opening switch?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

since eating in the Dining room takes nearly 2 hours

Other people have said this but our experience has been quite the opposite. We are usually in and out in under a hour. It helps that we request the same table and waiter. On the first night I tell them what nights we will be in MDR and what time our reservations are for. I also tell them that i like to have a premeal Manhattan  cocktail. I get my drink served shortly after I sit down. Works every time.

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Sounds like soy sauce to me. Without a doubt I knew you would know the difference between soy sauce and the spicy sauces. 

Well when they first start cooking it, yes it's soy.....BUT then they ask you if you want it spicy............that's a different bottle they then use.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, George C said:

We have done lots of rccl cruises we are diamond plus, only tried WJ once for dinner did not care for it at all. 

That is why I love the many venues for dining on the ships.  Should always be able to find something that fits our individual needs...and our bellies.  I still like to mix it up.  

One thing about cruising...you don't go hungry.  😮😉 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Well when they first start cooking it, yes it's soy.....BUT then they ask you if you want it spicy............that's a different bottle they then use.

No, you don't say! Like I said I knew Pat knew the difference between the types of sauces. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

He is 70 years old, and still thinks he is an invincible young man.  Scares the crap out of me, and he is too stubborn to hire it out.  

I have the same "specimen" (only he's 71 😉) and same stubbornness....

May be we can "sell" them -- 2 for the price of one 😁

At least he has "golden hands" and saves us tons of moneys in terms of skipping handymen .... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thats looks really unsafe..........how do you reach those windows to open for the screens? Is it electrical controlled opening switch?

Hey you wanted me to prove what I was saying with a picture.  I already posted that my feelings of being scared of him doing that.  You should have seen him climb all over our old screen enclosed pool area at the old house!!  😮  Fortunately he is finished, and the panel is replaced with a new one now, so he is off the roof.  😳

Open the windows to the screens???   This is a screen enclosed outside courtyard.   Perhaps you are not familiar with those?  Much like the screen enclosed pool areas at many houses here in Florida.  

image.jpeg.1330af3df169d0a76a0a203612c116de.jpegimage.jpeg.fb31039907fab801d942fbe5a1f73227.jpeg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Everyone one of us was a rookie to start.  Enjoy what you like!  🙂 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ummm...yeah.  If they add the soy in the beginning or the end.  It is still soy sauce in my food.  Guess you don't get it.  I was not talking about the spice at the end sheezz...I was talking about the Soy Sauce!!  🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Sounds like soy sauce to me. Without a doubt I knew you would know the difference between soy sauce and the spicy sauces. 

Thanks...yeah.  I think someone on here is back to "ruffling feathers" habit again.  😒

• Like 1