Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So today it was decided we need to do a some sort of non-cruise vacation this fall.  My schedule is jammed until the fall so anything but an overnight on the coast is out until then. We have Liberty of the Sea booked for Dec but who knows if that goes.  So we're looking at late October or November.

I'm looking for advise... Three options are on the table.

Option #1 NYC... I have always wanted to spend a week in the Big Apple.  My concern with this option is a big part of what I want to experience in NYC, like a Broadway show, is currently not available and I have no way of knowing if it will be in November.  When I go to NYC for the first time I want to experience NYC not virus NYC.  How open can we expect NYC to be by the time we get there. DW isn't a big city girl so I would want to get out of town for a few of the days and experience a little slower and relaxed environment. What would be a good driving distance destination from NYC for tourists. Any recommendations about NYC in Oct/Nov... 

Option #2 Hawaii... DW has always wanted to go but we never have.  May 2020 we were supposed to be on Radiance coming from HI to YVR, obviously cancelled. L&S to May 2021 cancelled again.  Now 2022/23 is booked with other cruises so Hawaii is out for a very long time.  I've never been to HI and really don't know much about it. As beginners should we stick to one island or plan for 2 or 3 or etc?

For DW flora and fauna and lava are her interests, mine are, as always city life, dining and adventure. I'd be interested in Pearl Harbor, as well. Can we satisfy our diverse interests on one island? Thoughts about Hawaii at that time...

Option #3 DW also suggested Branson.  I'd prefer to skip this one but since she mentioned it and I told her I was getting advise from my CC friends I would mention it as well.  I'm worried about the weather and getting showed out.  We've been to Branson several times before but usually just for a few days doing a different show every day.  Seven days in row might bore me if the weather was dodgy like it can be at that time of year and other, more exciting, activities were not available.  Thoughts and opinions...

Well if you go option 3 we can visit.  So, the weather summer thru September is not rainy.  Not saying it can’t but not for long.  

I can’t believe you go to the shows.  I have gone to several, but a week of them I would want to kill myself.

Do you play golf?  If so Branson is now a home run.  There is a newish park called Dogwood Canyon, and if you like to trout fish and see animals or ride bikes it is amazing.  We have an annual pass, I mostly go and ride my bike (road bicycle not motorcycle), several times a year.  It is beautiful. Tablerock Lake where my lake house is is really nice too in the summer early fall.  Then there is the sister park Wonders of Wildlife aka WOW which is an Aquarium and museum and the granddaddy of outdoor stores, the home office of Bass Pro Shops in Springfield.  Eureka Springs Arkansas is really nice about an hour and some change from Branson.  Then 2 hours, you can go to Rogers Arkansas (home to walmart) and Crystal Bridges a really nice art gallery from Walmart money.  Lots to do there.  

There is zero chance I would recommend #1 NYC is going to be a downer for a long time.  Nothing is open and it will feel like you are in east Berlin.  I like going to the city, but now, no way.

Obviously, Hawaii, always wins.  That said, there is a lot more to Branson than Branson.  Look beyond, and I could recommend it . 

• Like 2

Today one of our local news stations had a story on some of the new shortages that could occur in the next few weeks related to COVID. 
It dealt with more families are turning to gardening vegetables/herbs as a source of outdoor activities as well as reaping the harvest. The reporter went on to say expect shortages of vegetable plants due to surge of sales. 
So I grabbed my purse and headed off to the local nursery.  Upon arrival almost every parking spot was full. I’m thinking to myself. Damn everyone watched the news. I go in to the green house side. Tons of all varieties of tomatoes/peppers/cauliflower/. I spoke with the attendant and he informed me the rest of his order will be in Friday. I just want cucumbers/ zucchini and yellow squash. 

We usually plant 30 - 40 different vegetable plants. And of course my sunflowers. 

The DH Is filling the garden this week and we will

plant the week before memorial weekend. 

We  usually get a late frost. And want to protect the plants. So they are resting on the front porch. 

4279C386-5FE6-4C31-8E33-353B68228162.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Nope, neither have I though.  I always recommend people skip Capilano suspension bridge and go to Lynn Canyon instead.  It is a much more interesting suspension bridge with great walking trails all over.  There is active cliff diving during August and early September and it is free to boot. One of the cliffs you will see people jumping from is, depending on the water level, upwards of 100 ft and there is a natural waterslide that is an absolute hoot. I started jumping off cliffs when I was 12.  The 100 footer we used to refer to as the ultimate test on manhood. Looking back I refer to it as the ultimate test of stupidity. I haven't done it in a decade but I still love to go and see the old sights.

iu.thumb.jpeg.6ddb055389be3d0363183e38b8250ed1.jpeg

These are some great examples of what you can see or do, if you are brave enough, at Lynn Canyon.

That is very cool! And no we are not of an age to try the waterfalls or cliff diving. I used to love the polar bears playing with the empty beer kegs at Stanley Park Zoo when it was open. I could have watched them for hours. My parents used to take me to make a weekend of it. Pre-internet, they probably didn't know about Lynn Canyon. Maybe my parents paid for Capilano, but I don't remember. We will check out the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge next time we are in Vancouver. TY. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, I am not sure why my post didn’t...

I was quoting Singinalot about the Branson shows being open.  they will definitely be open based on what is going on right now.  Restaurants have gone to 100% seating at tables, still no sitting at the bars.  

If you don’t have a lot of time, Branson has a lot to offer beyond Branson and the shows.  You just have to drive an hour or two max.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Which side would you recommend we stay at?

Kona is like the resort side. Quaint shops and more fine dining and shopping. Hilo is more rustic or rural with the lava and parks and a lot small towns. So I am not sure. It depends on what you are looking for. 

In Honolulu we stay at the Ilima hotel, which is in a prime location just down the block from Waikiki beach. They have the largest rooms in Honolulu and a full kitchen, but it is kind of ratty or run down. Very clean, but older. All the rooms have balconies, but your wife probably wouldn't like that. I wouldn't recommend it necessarily, but we will continue to stay there just because of the location and cost savings. The people are very nice, and it has a pool. :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Tree_skier before you book Hawaii you might want to check car rentals first. Saw this on Twitter today. Maybe just book the uHaul and buy a couch there. Who needs a room.😉

Thanks for this... I just nailed down a car rental for a week in HNL for ~$400 US for the week just in case.  Maybe it is going to just be one island, we'll see what I can come up with.

1464543201_ScreenShot2021-04-27at7_38_17PM.thumb.png.90e191851118699ec2269a5826c63e68.png

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love sitting by the waterfront in the evening watching the planes land at Logan.

I can't find any now, but I like watching the sun come up over the anchored cruise ships. That was a nice Covid side affect. 

I did find a sunrise with a bike rider on beach. So peaceful

20210427_223001.jpg

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

east Berlin

ROTFL

Now that would be an interesting trip if we could go back in time.  You make a good case for Branson.  I think the boss really wants Hawaii.  Branson will come in '22. I'll be in the midwest Feb thru May.  We'll squeeze it in then. I'd love to meet up.  How close to Branson are you?

43 minutes ago, Coralc said:

That is very cool! And no we are not of an age to try the waterfalls or cliff diving. I used to love the polar bears playing with the empty beer kegs at Stanley Park Zoo when it was open. I could have watched them for hours. My parents used to take me to make a weekend of it. Pre-internet, they probably didn't know about Lynn Canyon. Maybe my parents paid for Capilano, but I don't remember. We will check out the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge next time we are in Vancouver. TY. :classic_biggrin:

Sadly, the zoo is closed and the aquarium no longer keeps any larger aquatic animals so Stanley Park is just a park now. A great park, but only a park.  Lynn Canyon has 4 plaques dedicated to people who died in the canyon.  Sadly, I was there for one and acquainted with another.  Yeah, I wish I had video from when we did all that. The bulk of my time doing that was go-pro and internet as well.

• Thanks 1