Smoking Areas on Iona

Suebiker

There may be some indication on the Iona specific web page on the P&O website as to where smoking will be allowed. At a guess I would think that the al fresco eating areas for the Quays on the port side prom deck will have some smoking areas, and of course the open upper decks will probably allow smoking as well, possibly near the bars.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 hours ago, Suebiker said:

Thanks for the response.   Can't find any info on P and O site.  If anyone happens to find out. Please can they let me know. 

Thanks

You can smoke anywhere, but you run the risk of security throwing you overboard. They do that to put your fag out😁. Is anybody else going crazy in lockdown, or is it just me?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, Suebiker said:

Hi - just wondering if anyone can tell me where the smoking areas are on Iona. Looking to rebook our cruise and want to avoid a smoking area!!!!

No info on that yet and my advice would also be to avoid locations mentioned by Terrierjohn, but on the basis that there seems to be a protruding outer deck all around the ship, I would go for a high deck balcony so that you have less risk of problems should you have the misfortune of finding that you are above a designated smoking area. 

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

No info on that yet and my advice would also be to avoid locations mentioned by Terrierjohn, but on the basis that there seems to be a protruding outer deck all around the ship, I would go for a high deck balcony so that you have less risk of problems should you have the misfortune of finding that you are above a designated smoking area. 

Thank you that sounds like a good plan

Perhaps smoking will be banned completely together with the electronic devices that send clouds of vapour into the air.

Would anyone really wish to see and  breath in  the smoke after it has been in  someones mouth whilst COVID-19 is in existence.

Edited by Pennbank
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Perhaps smoking will be banned completely together with the electronic devices that send clouds of vapour into the air.

Would anyone really wish to see and  breath in  the smoke after it has been in  someones mouth whilst COVID-19 is in existence.

Very touchy subject. Things just can't be banned because others have an issue with it. I think it was tried before (not P&O) and it was a disaster. Someone here will know more about it. By the way I'm a non - smoker.

Avril 

43 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Have to say that I don’t want to inhale clouds of vile smelling vapour that’s emitted from anyone’s mouth, Covid-19 or not! Revolting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, Suebiker said:

Hi - just wondering if anyone can tell me where the smoking areas are on Iona. Looking to rebook our cruise and want to avoid a smoking area!!!!

As a non smoker I like to avoid smoking area's too.

Usually they are on the starboard side promenade deck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes but before COVID-19 when you passed someone smoking or expelling loads of vapour you just held your breath and walked passed. What I am asking does COVID-19 now make a Big difference to smoking in open spaces. Should it now be banned  because of this extra hazzard?.

Edited by Pennbank

I'm a non smoker, always have been, but it is too common in society to ban completely at the moment. 

Hardly any of my family or close friends smoke, but my in laws do. 

We just make ourselves aware of the smoking areas and try to avoid them, but difficult when it is often one side of the prom deck. 

Andy 

15 hours ago, Pennbank said:

Yes but before COVID-19 when you passed someone smoking or expelling loads of vapour you just held your breath and walked passed. What I am asking does COVID-19 now make a Big difference to smoking in open spaces. Should it now be banned  because of this extra hazzard?.

Well obviously some people will say yes and others no! The question about vaping and Covid-19 has come up a couple of times during Q&A’s on TV with viral experts and the reply they give is that there have been no studies on the subject to date, but that common sense would indicate that there is a definite risk of the virus spreading from an infected person exhaling vapour. I have never found it easy to just hold my breath when someone in front of me is smoking or vaping as you often smell it before you see it or it catches you unawares. Also, you can contract the virus through your eyes, not just your nose. I would therefore favour a ban on smoking and vaping in public places but opinions will be polarised, on this forum as in the wider population. 

• 1 month later...

I contacted P&O to ask where the smoking areas are going to be on Iona.

I thought I’d post their response in case anyone wanted to be either far away, or close to, these areas when booking a cabin.

There will be 3 smoking areas; 

- Deck 18 | Port side | Mid Forward 
- Deck 18 | Port Side | Aft 
- Deck 8 | Port Side | Aft/Mid Aft

I hope that’s helps someone 😊

• Like 1

I emailed them back in January this year and had the initial response saying they had to put the enquiry with the relevant department, then P&O Guest Services emailed me back about two weeks later, so I think it’s true information.

and I agree with you, I don’t think it’s in the right place if it’s near outside dining places.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:39 PM, Selbourne said:

Well obviously some people will say yes and others no! The question about vaping and Covid-19 has come up a couple of times during Q&A’s on TV with viral experts and the reply they give is that there have been no studies on the subject to date, but that common sense would indicate that there is a definite risk of the virus spreading from an infected person exhaling vapour. I have never found it easy to just hold my breath when someone in front of me is smoking or vaping as you often smell it before you see it or it catches you unawares. Also, you can contract the virus through your eyes, not just your nose. I would therefore favour a ban on smoking and vaping in public places but opinions will be polarised, on this forum as in the wider population. 

The biggest problem with vaping is the amount of area the smoke covers. 

I follow a car on the way to work that vapes and you can smell and taste it in my car. 

I find it a worry. 

Andy 

28 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So what do you think about vaping in the outside dining area. 

That doesn't seem to make sense. 

I don't want to spoil passengers enjoyment, but it does seem like an increased risk of spreading the infection when steps are put in place to try to reduce it. 

You can't go within 2 metres of someone, but you can inhale their vape smoke from about 5 metres. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle

I think the vaping being referred to here, are those silly machines that emit huge clouds of scented steam and mainly used as "show". My husband vapes with a view to stopping smoking more easily and healthily. He has a small vape that emits a small amount of unscented steam. He's careful when he uses it not be a nuisance even when  using it in the designated areas of the ship. Yes, he knows it's a bad habit, and one that he has been trying to break, and for the first time in 20 years he's found something that's working. After 18 months he's much healthier and has reduced his intake significantly. So please don't tar all troublesome, annoying, antisocial vapers with the same brush. We all have a different tale to tell. I thought I'd share ours.

Avril 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I still do not want this near my food. At other smoking areas maybe but there should be no smoking or vaping at the the outside dining area. 

And I totally agree with you. We wouldn't want it either, and my husband would never use an area like that,  but that's the fault of the ship's planners not the smokers/vapers.

Avril 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

And I totally agree with you. We wouldn't want it either, and my husband would never use an area like that,  but that's the fault of the ship's planners not the smokers/vapers.

Avril 

Thank you for your consideration.