British Isles in September?

KYBOB

There has been and is a lot of discussion about the USA shutting down cruises until mid-July but nothing has been said about the UK, it looks like the UK has extended their lock down until the end of August? I have read that all the August festivals and the Tattoo have been canceled? Why has nothing said about that season being canceled? 

The UK hasn't extended its lockdown. When it was brought in we were told it would be reviewed "in 3 weeks". Three weeks will be Easter Monday. With Boris in hospital and the Easter break it'll be later in the week before anything official is said, but even then it will probably just be an extension for a few weeks. 

Things like the Edinburgh Festival have been cancelled more to help people planning to go not have any uncertainty etc. rather than because they think the lockdown will still be in place by then. 

And now the EU is evaluating a shut down until September:

"During a videoconference last Friday with trade unions, Macron said the idea is being considered by Schengen members, according to French media reports."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/11/europe-borders-may-close-to-september-due-to-us-covid-19-threat/#9a98a84431f7

I agree things are unlikely to start up by then in terms of cruising. We were looking at a Southampton to Norway cruise at the end of August as the prices are crazy cheap but we concluded it would just end up being another trip we have to wait for a refund on. 

Most likely situation in the UK by September is a partial lifting of restrictions to allow people to go back to work etc. but non-essential things like cruising I just can't see by then unfortunately.

When Princess first cancelled cruises we had our British Isles on Regal Princess on May 4, included in those cancelled.

I booked same cruise right away again for, what I thought, was way ahead for September 25, of this year, 2020.  Six months ahead seemed so far away at that point.  

I still have hope!  September 25,  is close to October right????  It sails into October dates, so maybe it will sail!  

If our May 4, payment that is suppose to be put into Future Cruise Credits aren't able to be used by our final payment date,  I will have to cancel anyway.  Our final payment through our Travel Agent is June 17.   Just not eager to have any more money go out that would be in this horrible waiting pattern if Princess has to cancel again.  

I just need something to look forward to!!! 

We were to set sail on Sept 26th but it very much seems like that will not occur.   We have not cancelled, but will likely not go ahead with final payment in June, even though our deposit is non refundable.  I am pessimistic by nature, but it sure feels like the very last thing to get back on its feet in the wake of this virus is cruising.  I would be skeptical about any cruise departures this year.  

Don

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROWSE said:

When Princess first cancelled cruises we had our British Isles on Regal Princess on May 4, included in those cancelled.

I booked same cruise right away again for, what I thought, was way ahead for September 25, of this year, 2020.  Six months ahead seemed so far away at that point.  

I still have hope!  September 25,  is close to October right????  It sails into October dates, so maybe it will sail!  

If our May 4, payment that is suppose to be put into Future Cruise Credits aren't able to be used by our final payment date,  I will have to cancel anyway.  Our final payment through our Travel Agent is June 17.   Just not eager to have any more money go out that would be in this horrible waiting pattern if Princess has to cancel again.  

I just need something to look forward to!!! 

My sister and I had a June British Isles cruise booked on the Regal but we canceled that and also rebooked for the Sept 25th cruise.  But we decided this week to cancel that one too.  We just felt that until they know how to better treat this virus and maybe get a vaccine that we really don't want to be on a cruise ship this year   And who knows if the Regal will even be able to get over there with the current no sail orders. They won't be able to sail from the US if the CDC extends it again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vjblk said:

My sister and I had a June British Isles cruise booked on the Regal but we canceled that and also rebooked for the Sept 25th cruise.  But we decided this week to cancel that one too.  We just felt that until they know how to better treat this virus and maybe get a vaccine that we really don't want to be on a cruise ship this year   And who knows if the Regal will even be able to get over there with the current no sail orders. They won't be able to sail from the US if the CDC extends it again.

Sorry you cancelled!  Before I read the part where you said you cancelled I was thinking of inviting you over to the Roll Call.  

If we get to final payment and no FCC is there to pay for the September 25 cruise, then I hope to just see if they will put my deposit on a British Isle Cruise on the Crown for next year when I do cancel it.   My deposit is refundable, but would rather it not go into the "money Princess owes me" pile.  

Really want this one to go though as I have reservations all in place for it for private shore excursions and airbnb's.  Maybe they would also be okay with moving my reservations over to next year though as well.  

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

You are probably going to be okay in September.  I wouldn't do anything and let Princess cancel if they have to.  That way you will get better refund and FCC options.

Thank you for making me feel hopeful!  

If they do finally get to refunding us with FCC,  and I use it to pay for the September 25 one, I would definitely go forward and let them cancel again if they can't sail.  

1 hour ago, ROWSE said:

Thank you for making me feel hopeful!  

If they do finally get to refunding us with FCC,  and I use it to pay for the September 25 one, I would definitely go forward and let them cancel again if they can't sail.  

Yup, I would be more concerned about a cruise in May or June.

Yes, the Military Tattoo has been cancelled. I posted a thread on the "Britain" forum asking

thoughts (from UK residents) on how they felt about everything being open for September.

No one has replied. The forum is almost like a ghost town. 

We are scheduled for September 13 on the Regal.

On 4/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, AF-1 said:

Under the current situation with world health problems; I don't see any cruses starting until at least Oct/Nov and that could be on a limited basis.   We shall see

I agree....now thinking it might even be January, 2021...

Hope there is a vaccine by then.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Yes, the Military Tattoo has been cancelled. I posted a thread on the "Britain" forum asking

thoughts (from UK residents) on how they felt about everything being open for September.

No one has replied. The forum is almost like a ghost town. 

We are scheduled for September 13 on the Regal.

That is what I noticed that nobody was posting there either. 

8 minutes ago, KYBOB said:

That is what I noticed that nobody was posting there either. 

I had a feeling that was the reason you posted here. There are a couple of UK

residents who post there quite often and are full of information.